Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FaceOff

Why do you need sunscreen IF...

If I don't really get much exposure to the sun, why would I still need to use a moisturizer with sunscreen SPF? Why would I need a moisturizer? How can they help my skin?

I guess you wouldn't need a sunscreen if you lived in Alaska or something and had no exposure to the sun, but even in the winter, the sun can damage the skin.

Why moisturizer? Because it keeps the skin in a balanced state. Using a lot of bp causes dryness, and unless you want to look dry and scaly, moisturizer is necessary.

-Dan

* using a sunscreen is the single biggest thing you can do to slow your skins aging.

* however obviously spf will offer you no benefits if you spend your entire life inside

* A moisturiser helps hydrate your skin this is useful particularly if you are using drying anti-acne agents ie: differin, tazorac, accutane, bp, bha etc etc

But hey you can do as you like - it is your skin.

What if I'm not using any medication except my face wash and vitamin B5? Should I still use moisturizer? My skin doesn't really get dry or irritated. My exposure to the sun is really minimal cause I go to school and work and sun exposure is barely there. Please let me know.

No biggie then. Save your money. Moisturizer keeps your skin balanced if you are drying it with bp. If you're not, hey, save a few bucks. But during summer just make sure to wear an spf.

I have asked this same question countless times to Aestheticians and Derms and plastic surgons.

Even when you are indoors, your skin still gets hit with sunlight. Regardless of where you live, Alaska included, you will always get sun light. It won't be as harsh as the equator but it will still affect your skin.

Plus in snowy countries it reflects of the snow to hit your face so wearing a cap won't stop the sunlight.

I got brown skin and am 27 and never used a sunscreen or moisturiser and my Derm and Aestheticians tell me that alot of my problems are a direct result of sun damage.

I though having brown skin made me safe but now i know that it didn't.

I couldn't agree more w/Miserable. Always, always use moisterizer with at least an SPF 15. I actually get angry when people don't...I don't leave my door, even to walk to the laundry room, without SPF 15 on my face.

I'm with the last two people that posted messages. I've been a religious sunscreen user since age 19. I'm now in my mid-30s and people are frequently surprised when I tell them my age. Most guess (literally) a full decade younger than I actually am. I'd like to think it's because I have good genes, but I know that's not true. It's the sunblock. Whether you need the moisture or not is irrelevant - you still need the protection. It's the first thing I do after showering and shaving each morning. I have the same mindset as Jen; I don't even get the mail without having it on first. Think of it this way - every minute of sun exposure you get has a cumulative effect over time. So even one minute a day is 365 minutes per year (and we're all getting more than that each day whether we want it or not). It's really no different than getting 365 minutes all at once at the beach. You might not burn getting one minute a day for a year, but the aging effects are exactly the same as the second example. I hope that puts it into perspective.

Your goal should be to protect your skin now while it's still young! Don't wait until the damage is already done before deciding to use it.