Notifications
Clear all

Sunscreen!

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 05/08/2007 11:57 pm

Well summer time is coming soon kids!

I am still looking for a good sunscreen to put on my face and body. I heard that all you need is spf 15. But 99% of the sunscreen out there is full of chemicals, oils and clog poring elements. Personally, every single type of sunscreen that I put on my face I break out. So as of now I just wear big hats and avoid sun exposure on my face. Does anyone here take a good natural non clog poring sunscreen?

MemberMember
(@j2tham11)

Posted : 05/09/2007 3:38 am

umm...i use pro activ so my face is really sensitive to the sun. I use coppertone sunscreen SPF 50 UVA&UVB. it is non-comedogenic-wont clog pores. i've been using it for over 3 months now.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 05/09/2007 9:10 pm

BUMP

MemberMember
(@notadoctor)

Posted : 05/10/2007 7:58 am

Yeah, my sunscreen is called Skin. You have to wear it all of the time though, kind of a drag. It is kind of cool though, if you go out in the sun more it gets darker to better protect you against getting burnt. I usually spend 30-60 in direct sunlight a day, and it has not caused any problems. It has caused me to get problems when I went on vacation in the mountains once. Skin didn't protect me enough and my face got all burned.

I wouldn't worry about sunscreen unless your acne medication is making your skin more sensitive. If you are going on vacation and don't want to get burnt, then try and get a tan before you go, by slowly increasing your time in the sunlight. Getting burned sucks and the best way to defend against it is to get a tan. If you wear sunscreen your body does not make Vitamin D.

Or if you are going to the beach for a day, don't wear sunscreen for the first 45 min but put it on after that to avoid getting burned. If you already have a tan, then it does not matter. Humans are meant to be in the sunlight and get tan, you should only wear sunscreen to avoid burning, otherwise it probably is not too healthy for your body either.

And like I have said in other posts, getting a tan is not skin damage. Darkening of the skin is caused by an increased release of the pigment melanin into the skin's cells after exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Melanin is produced by cells called melanocytes and protects the body from absorbing an excess of solar radiation, which can be harmful.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/10/2007 2:39 pm

Humans are meant to be in the sunlight and get tan, you should only wear sunscreen to avoid burning,

MemberMember
(@dannyaa)

Posted : 07/30/2007 11:52 pm

Well I agree with notadoctor about the sun and tanning.

That being said for those who still feel "safer" with a sunscreen:

1) Avoid coppertone

Coppertone is among the brands which have been condemned and are on trial now for being "washed away by water" and "being less protective than they claim" and "claiming false promises" and "containing dangerous substances"

I have written before people who use sunscreens have a way higher risk for both skin cancer and melanoma than people who don't. Don't be too surprised. Most sunscreens contain up to five percent of benzophenone or its derivatives oxybenzone or benzophenone-3 as their active ingredient. And benzophenone, used in industrial processes to initiate chemical reactions and promote cross-linking. It's one of the most powerful free radical generators known to man.

Moreover, benzophenone is activated by ultraviolet light. UV breaks benzophenone's double bond to produce two free radical sites. These free radicals desperately look for a hydrogen atom. While they may find this hydrogen atom, harmlessly, in the sunscreen, they could equally find it on the surface of the skin and thereby initiate a chain reaction which could ultimately lead to melanoma and other skin cancers.

2) The best sunscreen brand I know which is gentle on the skin and doesn't contain oxidative and cancerogenous substance is Lavera.

Lavera sunscreens don't contain benzones, alcohol or fats nor nanotechnology particles.

They contain hydrating and antioxidantive substances and are 100% mineral based.

Lavera is also 100% natural and doesn't contain any synthetic filters.

They're also free from allergenes and comedogenic substances.

(they can be found on many shops, cosmetic shops, organic-shops and online shops)

Lavera Sunscreens

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 07/31/2007 12:04 am

Well I agree with notadoctor about the sun and tanning.

That being said for those who still feel "safer" with a sunscreen:

1) Avoid coppertone

Coppertone is among the brands which have been condemned and are on trial now for being "washed away by water" and "being less protective than they claim" and "claiming false promises" and "containing dangerous substances"

I have written before people who use sunscreens have a way higher risk for both skin cancer and melanoma than people who don't. Don't be too surprised. Most sunscreens contain up to five percent of benzophenone or its derivatives oxybenzone or benzophenone-3 as their active ingredient. And benzophenone, used in industrial processes to initiate chemical reactions and promote cross-linking. It's one of the most powerful free radical generators known to man.

Moreover, benzophenone is activated by ultraviolet light. UV breaks benzophenone's double bond to produce two free radical sites. These free radicals desperately look for a hydrogen atom. While they may find this hydrogen atom, harmlessly, in the sunscreen, they could equally find it on the surface of the skin and thereby initiate a chain reaction which could ultimately lead to melanoma and other skin cancers.

2) The best sunscreen brand I know which is gentle on the skin and doesn't contain oxidative and cancerogenous substance is Lavera.

Lavera sunscreens don't contain benzones, alcohol or fats nor nanotechnology particles.

They contain hydrating and antioxidantive substances and are 100% mineral based.

(they can be found on many shops, cosmetic shops, organic-shops and online shops)

Lavera Sunscreens

MemberMember
(@dannyaa)

Posted : 07/31/2007 8:15 am

Well I agree with

Lavera Sunscreens

Thanks. but the prices are in euros. some of us are in united states so the shipping would be pricey. :D

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/31/2007 8:35 am

Paula's Choice has a mineral only sunscreen for 12.95. cosmeticscop.com

MemberMember
(@pbs86)

Posted : 07/31/2007 10:30 am

I don't put sunscreen on my face. Its bad I know, but any thing I put on my skin makes it break out horribly. I mean ANYTHING

MemberMember
(@iloveuk)

Posted : 08/01/2007 12:58 am

The best sunscreen I have found is Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer 30. It uses zinc oxide as well as a natural herbal extract shown to offer sun protection, I think it is Rhetany Extract although I may be mistaken. It also contains Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe, vitamin E, and grapeseed extract. No parabens or unnecessary chemicals, also fragrance and oil free.

MemberMember
(@rkozlo)

Posted : 04/23/2019 5:29 pm

For chicks with normal to oily skin, I recommend Bare Minerals (or similar brand) mineral veil for your face that has anspf25 rating.Its a powder you can put over your makeup and therefore you can easily reapply it during the day.

Guys could wear this too I guess but just a heads up it has a very slightmakeupy look.

Good luck!