Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaleidoscope

Extremely dry skin under eyes

I don't know what's going on! For the past month or longer, the skin under my eyes has been extremely dry (like, flaking off) and red. I used hydrocortisone cream for a week and it didn't really help much at all. It seems like an allergic reaction to makeup, but I've stopped wearing any makeup on or near my eyes, and it won't go away. The only thing I put under my eyes now is vaseline.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

I do have eczema on my hand, but my doctor said that eczema under the eyes is not common and that it must be contact dermatitis.

I have very dry skin around my eyes that gets worse when I use eyeshadows, and is compounded by my use of BP even though I keep it away. I use jojoba oil and vitamin E cream, which has worked like a charm.

I have very dry skin around my eyes that gets worse when I use eyeshadows, and is compounded by my use of BP even though I keep it away. I use jojoba oil and vitamin E cream, which has worked like a charm.

My eyelids were red, flaky, and almost swollen, they looked infected, it was really bad. The redness went away when I stopped using eyeshadows or foundation on my eyelids (eyeliner and mascara seem to be okay though) and started using a thick vitamin E cream twice a day on my eyelids and undereye area. Adding in jojoba oil helped even more. My undereye area still gets dry if I don't use the cream, but the upper lid doesn't get the gross red flaking so much, just a teensy bit of flaking. It also is much better in the summer than in the rest of the year.

That is exactly what mine are like. Ahh... do I have to go the rest of my life without wearing foundation under my eyes? I have dark circles there. :(

What brand of vit E cream do you use?

I use a light concealer under my eyes, it's just on my upper eyelids that's the problem. If your undereye area is really dry and red too I'd let it heal up, and then you could try using a little foundation on top of the jojoba oil/vitamin e cream.

I've used both JASON Vitamin E Revitalizing Moisturizing Creme and Nutra-E Pure Vitamin E Skin Creme. I think I like the JASON one a little better since the Nutra-E has a scent, but both have been fine for me. I should warn you that if you a prone to milia (not pimples with heads, but like tiny white clogs under the skin) in your eye area, you might not like these thick creams since they could cause more milia, and just jojoba oil would be better. But yeah, these have been a total eye saver, my eyes looked really horrible for a while until I found the right types of products to use and stopped wearing eyeshadow. Vitamin E creams are also pretty cheap and last forever, it's not the vitamin E that's important, it's just that these tend to come in 4 oz. tubs and be soothing and emollient. About a year ago I was still struggling with this, so I asked people on acne.org what they did for this eye problem, and a bunch of people were recommending me these expensive eye creams that come in teeny tiny containers, but one person told me to use the vitamin E cream, and I've always been very grateful for that suggestion.

Yes i used to get very dry, itchy, red under the eyes. My doc said that it was some sort of allergy and something to do with nail polish. He gave me the cream the one you stated, hydrocortisone (pretty sure he gave me this) and it cleared like the next day. Is it probably cosmetics you put under your eyes, under-eye concealer?

Try putting your eye cream on first before all topicals. It creates a buffer and protects the eyes from absorbing the other porducts you apply.

neutrogena healthy skin eye cream, WONDERFUL PRODUCT! It was the only thing that repaired my peeling, red skin around my eyes when I used BP too close to them once.