Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody know how to tell the different between a cold sore and a pimple. I have a red bump right about the right side of my lip and it is very painful! If it is a cold sore I have stuff that I can put on it that might help it but if its a pimple im not sure if i should use the stuff as it might make it worse?!?! any unput????

Anybody know how to tell the different between a cold sore and a pimple. I have a red bump right about the right side of my lip and it is very painful! If it is a cold sore I have stuff that I can put on it that might help it but if its a pimple im not sure if i should use the stuff as it might make it worse?!?! any unput????

Cold sores usually start out as a cluster of bumps or blisters grouped closely together. They are generally small, quite painful, and on a raised, reddened base. Sometimes they are preceded by a tingling, itching, or burning sensation. The blisters eventually break, ooze, and form a crusty lesion. The lesion eventually falls off and leaves pinkish skin that generally heals without hypopigmentation. If the spot has the preceding signs and symptoms, I'd call it a cold sore.

If you are still concerned, you might want to talk to a dermatologist. There are oral medications that you can take for cold sores that significantly reduce the duration of the lesion and the pain from the lesion. (Valtrex is one I can think of offhand).