Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

okay so i am just now starting the paleo diet and in a couple of days will be taking the fish oil capsules. So here they are my q's:

1. Is it possible that i can gain weight while on the plaeo diet and taking fish capsules at the same time?

2. Is too much protein bad for you?

3. Can i still eat fish like tuna, salmon, shrimp, etc. while taking the capsules? what about eggs?

4. Will this improve not just my oily face but also my acne?

5. Can i still eat avocados?

6. people say to eat nuts, but wont they break me out?

7. Whats a healthy dressing i can use for almost anything? ex.salsa, honey mustard, mustard. of course nothing with dairy or something that'll break me out.

8. should i eat bananas?

9. what vegi's should i not eat?

10. Is it okay if i eat bar-b-q from a restraunt?

11. Will alot of salt break me out?

okay well i think thats it! please please help me or anyone else. U dont have answer in complete sentences, u could just say the # questin ur refering to. thanks so much.

1. It is possible to gain weight on the Paleo diet, but very hard to. You will lose 10 lbs in the first week no matter what, and it is only water weight, not fat. Carbs in your body hold water, and when they start to leave, so does the water. As for losing fat weight, you probably won't gain weight because eating more protein increases your metabolism and less carbs means you will lose weight.

2. Too much protein and your body will not be able to get rid of all of the nitrogen in the protein. If you are a male, keep your caloric intake of protein as less than 50% of your calories and you should not get problems. According to the book "The Paleo Diet" your caloric intake of protein should be between 20-30% of your daily caloric intake.

3. You can still eat all of that stuff while taking the capsules. Don't get tuna from a can though, because it is usually high in salt, and not so great for you.

4. Yes it will.

5. I am pretty sure you can still eat avocados, why wouldn't you be able to?

6. Probably not if you are not allergic to them. You should not eat too many of them, because many are high in Omega 6, but if you keep your nut consumption down, it won't be a problem. Eating nuts like walnuts probably won't ever be a problem because they have an ideal ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6. Also, do not eat peanuts and cashews. Peanuts are legumes, and cashews can not be eaten raw and when they are cooked they are cooked in unhealthy oil and usually heavily salted, so don't eat peanuts or cashews.

7. There are some decent dressing recipes in the book "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain, and check here http://paleofood.com/

8. I would avoid them at first like for at least a month because they have a kind of high Glycemic Load, but after a while you can slowly add them back in.

9. Don't eat any legumes or starchy vegetables like potatoes.

10. As long as there is no sauce on it, or any sugar.

11. I am not sure if salt causes people to break out, I personally avoid it, but am unsure to it's effect on acne.

avocados have a very high omega 6:3 ratio as well so try to avoid them along with nuts/seeds/oils

I eat Planter's almonds and cashews why is that bad eating them? Plus I wash them to take out the salt.

I eat Planter's almonds and cashews why is that bad eating them? Plus I wash them to take out the salt.

When you asked if it was possible to gain weight, i am assuming you train or are looking to gain weight whilst keeping acne at a minimum. I reccomend going to a library and borrowing Loren Cordains Paleo for athletes book. The Diet is essentially a paleo diet however allows for some higher gi carbs to replenish the glycogen levels after exercise.

If you are looking to follow the Paleo diet strictly ( meaning you will follow the ratio of protein fats and carbs stipulated in a paleo diet) you will find it somewhat difficult to gain weight. However if you follow the Paleo diet loosely meaning, you just eat foods which are listed in a Paleo diet, and eat them with whatever ratio of fats protein and carbs you like, you will actually be able to gain weight very easily.

I have tailored the paleo diet this way so that i can get in my 500-600g of carbs per day.

Paleo diet allows alot of Low Gi Dried fruits and raw fruits, and Medium to Low gi vegetables including sweet potato, This way it is possible to get anywhere from 3000-5000calories into your diet reasonably easily.

As far as your salt question is concerned, i would try to avoid it where possible, there are generally high concentrations of salts in fast foods, processed foods, and canned foods which have to maintain shelf life. Salt will require you to drink more water, with which most people dont get enough of everyday, it can dehydrate the body and lead to poor circulation, this can directly effect your skin.

As far as nuts go, they have a huge omega 6 concentration, Try chestnuts, they are the only nut which i have found that doesnt have a high omega 6-3 ratio.

okay what if i eat right before i go to bed. alot of meats and vegi's and fruits. of course not enough to get me sick. but do you think that will help me gain weight? I WANNA GAIN!

Just eat more fatty meat, and possibly more nuts. Fruits and veggies will probably not be able to help you gain weight.

If you want to gain weight that is healthy, you should start lifting weights. On the paleo diet, I am pretty sure that your body will not get any thinner than it should be, but you seem to lose most of the unhealthy weight.

Gaining weight is simply putting more calories in than out, it doesnt matter what your diet is, if you take in more calories than what you are expending you will gain weight. That being said eating a diet full of low calorie food wont work because 1) it will cost a fortune to get enough, and 2) your body wont be able consume enough food to get the calories.

The Paleo Diet generally works for people because alot of people go onto the paleo diet from an incredibly unhealthy fast/processed food diet which basically cuts out alot of potential food groups and ingredients which can affect acne. I'd say that after around 2-3weeks of doing the Paleo diet, introduce certain foods groups at a time, such as nuts, dairy, Wheat just so that you determine what does infact break you out, because it is quite hard to avoid everything, especially when it may be something you can eat.

To gain the weight you should get an exercise book or notebook to write down what you eat each day, at the end of the day you can add up the calories and you should get a rough idea of how much you are consuming, At the end of the week once you have figured out on average how much you have eaten each day add between 500-1000 calories to that total and that will be the new total you should get to each day, you keep following this process until you are satified with your weight. You will have abit of fat gain still, even if all your foods are clean. Nutritiondata.com has the nutrition breakdown for alot of foods, you can use it for things which dont have nutritional info on them like meat or fish from butcher etc.

Try to make your meals smaller and space them around 3 hours apart. Mine meal times are 6am, 8am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm.( I prefer to get most of my eating earlier, eating before bed can disrupt sleep and your body will use alot of energy digesting food rather than recovering)

A good way to boost calories is a protein powder, it isnt on the paleo list but if you get a good non-allergenic one you should be fine. I have egg white protein powder, mixed with rice milk. Its around 600calories in a shake.

Once your nutrition is sorted make sure you do weight train 3-5times a week and do cardio for around 30min 3-4times a week. Alot of people might say not to do cardio if your a hardgainer, but to be honest no one really wants to gain a pot belly along with bigger muscles, once your saisfied with the weight gain, you will probably want to look into cutting down.