Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lost in translation

Sugar contribution to acne

Your HORMONAL response to sugar

Just what happens after you eat sugar?

Well right of the bat your blood sugar levels rise rapidly. To bring blood sugar levels down your body excretes hormones...particularly insulin and other androgenic hormones.

These hormones signal your body's cells to upon up their "doors" and let the sugar in.

The primary places blood sugar goes is the cells of the liver and the cells that make up the muscles. They "fill up" just like inflating a tire or filling up a water balloon.

But what happens when they are all full to capacity?

Well, any excess blood sugar is then converted by your liver into long chain fats (basically LARD). This "lard" is then transported to your fat cells and stored as fat.

End effects of consuming EXCESS sugar

Sugar, unlike other more complex starches, raises blood sugars rapidly. It is metabolized ("burned") very quickly in your system.

It spikes blood sugar levels in direct proportion to how much you ingest at one time. The more you ingest the greater the spike in blood sugar levels.

This spike in blood sugar causes your body to excrete a SURGE of hormones all at one time.

It also causes a surge of high blood fats (LARD) all at one time.

So the end effect is it overwhelms your system with hormones and blood fats.

All these excess androgenic hormones cause your skin sebum glands to go into hyper drive...producing way too much skin oil. Add to that the excess blood fats floating around and the end results is aggravation of an already existing acne condition.

So if sugar aggravates acne then why can some people eat all the sugar in the world yet still have flawless skin?

Why sugar aggravates acne in some and NOT in others

Here's the missing piece to the sugar acne relationship you've been looking for...

Ingesting too much sugar alone will not aggravate acne. It's only when you overwhelm the liver with excess hormones that acne will flare.

The liver is what "deactivates" and "clears" excess hormones from your system.

But it only has so much capacity to do that.

So the reason sugar aggravates your acne, while your friend can eat all the sugar they want and still not get acne is because there liver function is much stronger.

Their liver is able to quickly "deactivate" and "clear" any excess hormones. So they never sufferer hormonal imbalance. And they never sufferer from acne.

But you're liver capacity in this regard is significantly "shackled". That's why even a little bit of sugar can aggravate your acne.

After doing this research it's pretty clear to me that sugar can contribute to acne, and if you have acne you should avoid sugars for a month or so to see if your condition improves, but what I need to know, is it bad to give up sugar totally? if any one knows anything on this please post back

You can give up table sugar completely with no problems. It is better for you to give it up. If you are talking about carbohydrates in general, then you can't give them up. You do need some carbs in your diet.

Your HORMONAL response to sugar

Just what happens after you eat sugar?

Well right of the bat your blood sugar levels rise rapidly. To bring blood sugar levels down your body excretes hormones...particularly insulin and other androgenic hormones.

These hormones signal your body's cells to upon up their "doors" and let the sugar in.

The primary places blood sugar goes is the cells of the liver and the cells that make up the muscles. They "fill up" just like inflating a tire or filling up a water balloon.

But what happens when they are all full to capacity?

Well, any excess blood sugar is then converted by your liver into long chain fats (basically LARD). This "lard" is then transported to your fat cells and stored as fat.

End effects of consuming EXCESS sugar

Sugar, unlike other more complex starches, raises blood sugars rapidly. It is metabolized ("burned") very quickly in your system.

It spikes blood sugar levels in direct proportion to how much you ingest at one time. The more you ingest the greater the spike in blood sugar levels.

This spike in blood sugar causes your body to excrete a SURGE of hormones all at one time.

It also causes a surge of high blood fats (LARD) all at one time.

So the end effect is it overwhelms your system with hormones and blood fats.

All these excess androgenic hormones cause your skin sebum glands to go into hyper drive...producing way too much skin oil. Add to that the excess blood fats floating around and the end results is aggravation of an already existing acne condition.

So if sugar aggravates acne then why can some people eat all the sugar in the world yet still have flawless skin?

Why sugar aggravates acne in some and NOT in others

Here's the missing piece to the sugar acne relationship you've been looking for...

Ingesting too much sugar alone will not aggravate acne. It's only when you overwhelm the liver with excess hormones that acne will flare.

The liver is what "deactivates" and "clears" excess hormones from your system.

But it only has so much capacity to do that.

So the reason sugar aggravates your acne, while your friend can eat all the sugar they want and still not get acne is because there liver function is much stronger.

Their liver is able to quickly "deactivate" and "clear" any excess hormones. So they never sufferer hormonal imbalance. And they never sufferer from acne.

But you're liver capacity in this regard is significantly "shackled". That's why even a little bit of sugar can aggravate your acne.

After doing this research it's pretty clear to me that sugar can contribute to acne, and if you have acne you should avoid sugars for a month or so to see if your condition improves, but what I need to know, is it bad to give up sugar totally? if any one knows anything on this please post back

Forgive my ignorance, but what qualifies as a sugar that should be cut out? is it just "simple" sugar? i.e., table sugar, HFCS, and sweeteners in packaged foods (from ice cream to tomato sauce to cereal)? I mean, carrots and corn have kind of a lot of sugar in them too... I'm trying to refine my diet one step at a time and doing really well (successfully cut out dairy!!) but if i have to give up carrots i'm definitely not going to make it!! :doubt:

Lest anyone think I'm being lazy, i've looked up quite a lot of diets and many different books say many different things. I guess I'm looking for a personal consensus here.

Forgive my ignorance, but what qualifies as a sugar that should be cut out? is it just "simple" sugar? i.e., table sugar, HFCS, and sweeteners in packaged foods (from ice cream to tomato sauce to cereal)? I mean, carrots and corn have kind of a lot of sugar in them too... I'm trying to refine my diet one step at a time and doing really well (successfully cut out dairy!!) but if i have to give up carrots i'm definitely not going to make it!! :doubt:

Lest anyone think I'm being lazy, i've looked up quite a lot of diets and many different books say many different things. I guess I'm looking for a personal consensus here.

I'm going to elaborate a little more on what Autonomous said.

Sugar in natural foods such as carrots, and fruit are a different form of sugar known as Fructose. Fructose is digested a lot slower than normal sugar, which doesn't result in insulin spikes.

Sugar in natural foods such as carrots, and fruit are a different form of sugar known as Fructose. Fructose is digested a lot slower than normal sugar, which doesn't result in insulin spikes.

fructose can still raise blood sugar and actually fruits have a blend of different sugars look at the spec for bananas http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20Tm.html

As you see its pretty high in sucrose(table sugar) as well as fructose but most improtantly notice that it also contains PURE glucose and that doesnt even need to be digested so you absorb it right away and it raises insulin indefinitly thats why i follow a strict no sugar diet and that means no fruits either. You can actually feel the glucose being absorbed in your mouth even before it hits your stomach well at least i can because i get a little rush to my brain immediatly and now i know its most likely because of Pure glucose.

AutonomouseOne, why don't you switch to extra virgin coconut oil instead of butter? just curious.................

Oh and would stevia extract or xylitol raise blood sugar levels like all other sugars?

AutonomouseOne, why don't you switch to extra virgin coconut oil instead of butter? just curious.................

Oh and would stevia extract or xylitol raise blood sugar levels like all other sugars?

i do use coconut oil and butter too i try to get as many fat calories from fat as possible, my limit is 300 calories from butter, i dont have a limit for coconut oil but i get about 750 calories from coconut oil alone.

i tried stevia and its not bad, xylitol is still a sugar and i suspect raises blood sugar but its still sweeter then sugar so you use less of it but from my experiance ive usually used that as a ticket to use alot of it so i dicthed the idea of sweet alltogether its just a trap and ive tried to focus on full, fiber protein and fat is the answer to full. My goal is to feel full and eliminate hunger successfully. sweet has only stimulated my hunger.