Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
penguin79

Do you feel like the only adult with acne?

Call me crazy, I am 27 going on 28 soon and I wonder if other's my age and demographic group "obsess" about their skin? My relatives all have scarring acne so I always been very self conscious about it. Given that I work in a mail order pharmacy, I see the age group that is being prescribed acne treatment. It is people born in the 90's not 70's! I use RAM and Duac. All my friends think I am silly for using RX products and say, "Why don't you just use some Neutrogena and get over it!"

I also have been concerned about aging, but the tretinoin helps that. Anybody feel this way?

when i had it yes..i did. i swear i never saw another adult with ance and my husband has the skin of a child so that made it even worse..

just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there though.

I think it's fantastic that you are concerned with aging already..taking care of your skin now is a great thing to do..and as far as your friends..tell them not to be so insensitive.

i'm 24 and work at a university. i see all of the students with perfect skin, and want to scream! i swear everyone in my office has beautiful skin, but most of them know my struggles and are quite understanding and sensitive. however, this week i have to conduct 5 interviews and i'm not feeling very good about it. also, when i have to meet with other departments or agencies, not only am i usually the youngest, but i have acne. i always feel like i get no respect because i look like a pimple faced kid. i know there are other adults with acne out there, i just wish i knew who they are!

At 23 I am already seeing less & less peers with it. No one at my job gets zits like I do. None of my friends struggle to keep their skin clear like I do. I mean, I see people my age get the random zit here & there, but not persistent acne...

It's funny...when I was struggling with my skin, I did feel like I was the only one that ever broke out. But now that my skin is clear, I am noticing more and more, the skin of my friends. Many aren't as clear as I once thought! It's all perspective I guess.

Yep, I am 47 and I work at DQ and all of the teens that work nights and during the day have clear skin!!!! They eat all the fast food we have and eat tons of ice cream to boot and not a one of them has acne!!!! They may have a little spot or two every so often but for the most part they are clear as water and I struggle with acne, and now wrinkles, lines puffiness and all the wonderful things that happen when you get older. NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!! Elf

i'm a grad student in a biochem department and the vast majority of students and faculty on my

floor seem to have clear skin, not necessarily perfectly smooth but no noticable red bumps or blackheads

if one of the female students has a few bumps it is probably just from a hormone surge from their period since it disappears a few days after (having skin problems makes one look at other's skin more intensely)

my genetics suck, hooray for me unless i have some insane glaring allergy that isn't registering with inflammation when i consume it

and my new diet/supplement changes makes my skin unable to properly heal ever, hooray again

I work in the film industry in Vancouver and I am surrounded by beautiful people with perfect skin. It seems like I'm the only one in my work place, circle of friends, or the entire city for that matter, that has persistant acne. To make it worse, my ex is now dating a model with perfectly clear skin. Booo!

yeah, i feel the same way too.

even when my acne is clear, i still have to deal with scars and red marks

oh, well

i think we make it out worse than it is.

am i the only adult with acne...

at home? yes.

at work? yes.

amongst my friends? yes.

in my entire state? feels like it.

I can relate. To be honest, I have weeks where my skin looks great. It looks even with no active pimples, and hardly any marks from past breakouts. I will be like "Wow, FINALLY this nightmare is over!! No more topicals, no more worrying about i!". Then I have weeks like right now, where it's like Im 15 freakin years old again (Im 24 now) and start thinking about accutane and other options. I absolutely hate running into people from high school, because I know they are thinking "Wow, he STILL has it?!".

It just gets frustrating knowing I do everything right. I dont sleep with my face in the pillow, I dont overwash my face, I use gentle cleansers and a moisturizer. I eat incredibily healthy and excersize 5 times a week and take a multi-vitamin. Yet with this schedule I still get weeks (like these past THREE!!) where my skin looks horrible. Im glad my friends are sensitive to it though and never say anything, but it's sucks knowing people think about it. I have alot of self confidence and know that being "filthy" doesnt have anything to do with acne. But, it weighs on your conscience in public. Blah I just want to get clear and stay clear.

End rant here.....haha.

am i the only adult with acne...

at home? yes.

at work? yes.

amongst my friends? yes.

in my entire state? feels like it.

I work in the film industry in Vancouver and I am surrounded by beautiful people with perfect skin. It seems like I'm the only one in my work place, circle of friends, or the entire city for that matter, that has persistant acne. To make it worse, my ex is now dating a model with perfectly clear skin. Booo!

EXCEPT I HAVE ACNE so I look like the youngest!!! Auuugh. :doh:

You'll appreciate that when you are my age. That was the one benefit of having acne and oily skin. People always think I am at least 10 years younger than I am.

EXCEPT I HAVE ACNE so I look like the youngest!!! Auuugh. :doh:

You'll appreciate that when you are my age. That was the one benefit of having acne and oily skin. People always think I am at least 10 years younger than I am.

Yep! I'm 39, going to be 40 in 3 months now. I actually got carded for alcohol two weeks ago. I asked her politely, "You're kidding, right?" She said, "Well, no, we are supposed to card anyone who looks like they are under 27." I said, "Wow, thanks, you seriously made my day!". She looked at my ID then and said, "NO WAY!" :dance:

Anyway. I'm the only of my age whom I know who has acne. But my current regimen seems to be clearing it up. I'll be trying naproxen sodium a week prior to menses to see if that helps with hormonal acne flare up. I cannot take birth control pills.

Believe me, I know where you're coming from with this. At 38 y/o I look around at my coworkers and same age peers, both male and female, and I see clear skin everywhere I look. It is very frustrating, especially when I read garbage like "50% of all adults over 30 have acne." Sooooooooo, where are all these people? They can't all be living under rocks.

Best wishes from bookyone :)

if they describe "acne" as one new small bump every 1-2 weeks that fades quickly then that is probably why you wouldn't notice it on others unless you were staring intensely at them up close

or a lot of them wear makeup, even males perhaps

That is possible, although I certainly wouldn't count getting 1-2 small pimples a month as having adult acne. I guess I'm wondering what percentage of the 50% of adults with acne has severe acne and scarring like I do, my guess is that the percentage would be much lower, maybe 1-2% if that (lucky me!)

I wear a truckload of makeup, but it still doesn't cover everything, so I'm guessing if there were others out there like me I'd notice them, whether or not they were wearing makeup.

Best wsihes from bookyone :)

When my skin was at its worst last year, at age 36 (I'm generally clear now - just the occasional spot and marks from last year's breakout, which are sloooowllly fading....) - I felt like I was the only one too. Now I realize that wasn't the case. I can think of at least 10 other people at work who have mild-moderate acne. Most of them don't have it all the time, but they definitely get noticeable flares. Several women even work on the same team as I do. One woman, who is mostly clear now, broke out in moderate inflamed acne about two years ago and was consistently broken out for at least 6-8 months (she's in her 40s). My closest friend at work (she is in her early 30s) is currently struggling with skin problems - she's getting clear, but its definitely still an ongoing battle for her.

One of my best childhood friends is also in the midst of an adult acne flare - she says she hasn't looked this way since being a teenager.

Even though you might not see people with acne problems everyday, you are definitely NOT alone in this problem!!!

I'm 27 and still struggling every day. I go through periods where it's really not too bad, and then time like now when my face feels like it's exploding and I just want to hide. I feel like nobody else my age deals with this -- maybe a pimple now and then but nothing like true moderate acne. It sucks....I feel like people see my age and then my breakouts and wonder what the heck is wrong with me.

i'm 24, going to be 25 in a couple weeks, and i feel like i'm the only one. yes, i have a couple friends that get the occasional spot, but like most of you, none have the persistent acne i do. i feel like the only one.... it's clearing up now, but these red marks are horrific.

I know where you're coming from. I swear I'm the only one in my office who still struggles with this. I'm like 24 going on 25 already. Frustrates the heck outta me.

:wall:

A lot of my coworkers get flares/acne but that doesn't really help me deal with it. Everyone in the company could have severe acne, I still have minor break out from time to time which really bothers me. There is no way Ill make it to 40 with acne.

I'm nearly 31 and have been dealing with this since I was 23. I had the skin of a baby all through high school and am being forced to deal with acne as an adult. After years of topicals, gels, creams, rx washes, lotions, potions, and rx antibiotics, my dermatologist (who has the skin of a 2 year old btw) finally agreed to put me on Accutane. As much as the side effects suck, I'm in it for the long haul, and am praying for great results.

I'm in sales, which is horrifying for someone who has to deal with acne. I've become a great make-up artist, but am hoping to move forward from that as my treatment course continues. Someone, please, tell me it's going to get better!! :wall: