Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Donna

Question re: Dr Perricone

To Maya or anyone else who knows. I was looking at a website that had Dr Perricones advice on it and in one part is called orange juice "youth robbing" does anyone know why and does this apply to oranges as well?

Thanks

Donna

I was wondering about this also...I was also wondering if anyone has used his supliments for clear skin and are they worth the price?

Dr. Perricone is anti OJ because of its extremely high glycemic index. High glycemic foods are held in his opinion to be highly inflammatory and therefore youth robbing. He touts that the dietary aim of anyone wishing to have clear smooth skin to stick with foods with a glycemic index of under 50.

Here is a link:

http://www.epinions.com/content_75100753540

FOOD LIST

Foods to Avoid

Alcoholic beverages, bacon, bananas, bagels, beef, beer, brandy, butter, breads, carrots, cream cheese, candy, cake, chocolate, coffee, cookies, cereals (except oatmeal), cornstarch, corn, corn syrup, croissants, dried fruit, duck, doughnuts, fruit juice, fried foods, flour, gin, grapes, goose, granola, hard cheese (except for feta and parmesan), honey, hot dogs, ice cream, jams and jellies, lamb, mango, margarine, molasses, mayonnaise, muffins, noodles, oranges, pancakes, papaya, pastry, peas, pie, pizza, pasta, pickles, popcorn, pork, potatoes, pudding, pumpkin, raisins, relish, rice, rum, sherbet, soda, scones, sherry, sugar, tacos, veal, waffles, watermelon, whiskey, wine, whole milk

Foods to Enjoy

Almonds, asparagus, avocado, beans (black, kidney, lima), apples, bell peppers, broccoli, broccoli rabe, blueberries, blackberries, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, clams, cottage cheese (lowfat), crab meat, chicken (white meat), capon, cauliflower, celery, Chilean sea bass, cod fish, coriander, cucumbers, dill, egg whites, eggplant, endive, escarole, fat-free milk, feta cheese, fennel, flounder, filet of sole, garlic, grapefruit, ginger, halibut, honeydew melon, kiwi fruit, kale, legumes, lentil soup, lobster, lemons, leafy greens, lettuce, monkfish, mushrooms, mussels, nectarines, nuts, oatmeal, onions, olive oil, olives, parmesan cheese, peaches, pecans, parsley, pears, plums, radish, raspberries, spinach, scallops, Swiss chard, scallions, snow peas, smoked salmon, sardines, shrimp, salmon, salmon trout, soy beans, sour cream, swordfish, tea (black and especially green), tomatoes, tomato juice, tofu, turkey, yogurt (non-fat, unflavored), walnuts, zucchini

Menu Plan

The Perricone nutritional program provides the foods that reduce inflammation and avoids those that provoke it. Study the lists of foods that are approved and those that need to be avoided.

There are 9 simple rules to the program:

1. Each meal needs to include lean protein and carbohydrates (in the form of fruits and/or vegetables), and essential fatty acids from olive oil or fresh unsalted nuts.

2. Be sure to include up to one tablespoon of olive oil and one cup of yogurt 3x/week. (You can eat the yogurt for breakfast or as a snack between meals)

3. Women need to consume 14 ounces of lean protein; two servings of fruit and at least 4 servings of approved vegetables each day. (a vegetable serving is 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked. A fruit serving is one small apple or pear, 1 1/2-cup berries or 1/2 cup cut up fruit). Men need the same number of servings of fruits and vegetables, but should take in 16-18 ounces of protein/day.

4. Drink 8-10 glasses of water/day.

5. Take prescribed supplements at the recommended times, rather than all at once.

6. Calories and quantities should be consumed evenly throughout the day.

7. Don't go longer than 4-5 hours without eating to keep blood sugar level.

8. Don't add fat to food when you cook.

9. Don't cheat-- it will show up on your skin before it pads your hips!

Hope this helps.

Anna

I can relate. The first time I looked at it I noticed most of the things I crave are in the "AVOID" list.

Anna

I can relate.  The first time I looked at it I noticed most of the things I crave are in the \"AVOID\" list.

Anna

I rarely eat sugar, never eat processed foods, and hardly eat any carbs. I cook with olive oil all of the time, eat fruit, vegetables,chicken, salmon and almonds, but I still break-out.

I don't get it. If this diet works, why doesn't it work for me?

Also, before I used to eat whatever I wanted, and I never broke-out.

I believe diet is important to health, and may help your skin, but I don't think it will cure everyone's acne. It's worth a try if you eat a lot of junk. The worst thing that can happen is you may be healthier.

And it's not even a guarantee that you will be healthier.....

It all depends on your genetics. If you have the acne gene you WILL have acne no matter what your diet is, and it can only be stopped by growing out of it or by taking accutane (which again probably only DELAYS the acne until you grow out of it).

I agree. Although, in fairness, this is the diet from the book called "The Perricone Prescription" which I feel was aimed more at wrinkling. I think Dr. P. also has a book on treating acne. I would be surprised to find fish in that diet. Foods rich in iodine, (as fish is) are among the triggers that even doctors who say there is no link between diet and acne will agree, cause acne to flare.

I wonder.... if I went out on the front lawn and ate nothing but grass for a month, would I would still break out?

I'm pretty sure that only shellfish contains iodine, although I may be wrong. I never looked into it.

For those who like to flavor their food with salt, sea salt is a good alternative to regualar iodized salt.

There are actually quite a lot of foods that are iodine rich.

For example:

dairy products, Margarine, Egg yolks, Seafood, ham, bacon, sausage, corned beef, Fresh chicken or turkey, Dried fruit, Canned vegetables, Chocolate, Molasses, soy sauce, soy milk, tofu.

I didn't know those foods had iodine. Oh well, I'm not cutting everything out. I've noticed (with me) that it just doesn't make a difference.Im starting to get to the point where I feel like I can't win, so I almost don't care about it anymore.

It's good info for those trying to experiment with diet though.