Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rylan

BlACK to blonde

ok here's the deal lol:

my hair is naturally an ashy blonde, i guess i dirty blonde. but i dyed it jet black about a few months ago and my roots are coming in; at first it didn't look weird but now it does. i want to dye my hair a dark brown b/c i just can't wait for my hair to actually grow out.. i want a light color for summer.

anyways.. can i just dye over the black, i mean it's been over a month or so or do i have to lighten it and then dye it..

it's kinda dumb of me to ask as i will obvioulsy go to a professional to do it but i just want to know b/c i don't want to use too many chemicals in my hair and if i have to lighten it first before i dye it, i might just wait it out to grow.. :(

Hey rylan,

My sister who has black hair....I helped her to dye directly from black to dark brown...OMG...she looked terrible! She actually looked way older!

So, I think lighten first and then dye!

:D

Good Luck.

you cant dye your hair blonde over the black, it wont work. You'll need to get your hair stripped of the Black first..and yes, be ready for lots of nasty chemicals. (Been there, won't go back...very damaging, for me at least)..

edit: if thats you in your picture...

IMO you look VERY NICEEEE with Black hair :wub:

You'll have to go to a salon and strip the color or use a color stripper at home. I DON'T recommend doing it at home. I did and I ruined my hair. If your hair is short, I would say just let it grow out.

Black is extremely hard to get out.....even with bleach and 40 volume peroxide.

It will lift red....and the red part is really hard to get out. I know I tried it once. I bleached it twice and it still wouldn't come out. I ended up cutting all my hair off.

You may be able to bleach it (stripping), but get it done at a salon. Your roots will be almost white and the black part will be redish. At a salon they can dye the roots a different shade than the red part cuz the dye will come up differently on the dyed and stripped part. She may be able ot only strip the balck part if she (or he) is good, but even then the dye may come up slightly differently....

this is not something to be done at home. Go to a salon h at specializes in color correction. You may have to gradually lighten your hair to blond.....it probably can't be done at once........

^stripping is different from bleaching. A stripper chemically removes the dye but does not change the hair color. For example, if you dye your hair black and then get it stripped, they dye will be stripped off with close to your natural color left. A stripper cannot, however, undue lightening, for example, if you lighten brown hair to like an ash blonde, a stripper will remove the ash color but not the lightening that occurs when going blonde.

thanks for all the replies.

yeah i understand that getting rid of the black dye is hard, that's why i opted to dye my hair a dark brown.. i guess i'll let my hair grow out but it looks really weird b/c it's black at the bottoms and ashy blonde at the roots :lol: being blonde and going to black is a b1tch!