Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cassiopeia

My NEW REGIMEN Log!

Today is DAY ONE of changing my diet and exercise routine. For this phase, I am cutting out ALL dairy (no ice cream, boohoo) and refined sugars/carbs ... no pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. Well maybe bread sometimes, but only whole wheat, I actually really like whole wheat and flax seed pita pockets ... but I digress. I did quite well today, I substituted soy yogurt for regular and was pleasantly surprised, and I even tried soy milk and it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be (plus it has Omega-3's in it! yay!) Today among other things, I ate a banana dipped in ground flax seed, which was really good, some strawberries, an organic veggie-burger with no bun, and some green beans. quite good!

As for the exercise, well, I stock shelves at the grocery store, so I stand/lift/walk 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, so I'm definitely active, but I recently started running 2-5 miles 4 times a week again (something i used to do quite a lot of) so I'm getting some "real" cardio in there. When I have money again, I'll join the gym to do some strength training.

Oh and I quit smoking. lol. :whistle:

I have been taking Fish Oil capsules for 6 days ... started out at 2, then 3, then 5, then 6. Kind of a quick jump, but 6 is still only 1.8 g of Omega-3's so I'll stick with that for awhile and then up it again to 8.

As of this weekend I will also be starting red/blue light therapy on my face.

If this works, I won't really know which exactly to attribute it to, but I definitely believe that there is no one cure for acne and while none of this can really hurt me, a lot of it might help! Here we go!! :surprised:

I don't have much new to report ... I've noticed a TON of closed comedones on my face this morning, like way more than I thought was there. Whether this is due to a week of taking the Fish Oil supplements or because I was looking more closely, or what, I don't know.

Admit I slipped on the diet thing last night ... mom made baked macaroni and cheese and i couldn't resist...but I'm thinking about giving up the non-dairy thing anyway because I love organic milk and even though the soy actually doesn't taste too bad, I have always had wacky hormone issues and the more research I do, the less inclined I am to want to drink it! lol

And a group of girlfriends met for lunch at a chinese buffet place today, one of them paid for me, which i didn't know was going to happen, so then i felt like i had to eat and couldn't waste her money. I tried to pick the least-bad foods, but I know it was to no avail. Ah well. I've done well with exercising anyway.

For the record, I wash my face with Burt's Bees orange cleanser ... its consistency is thick and feels slightly oily, but I love the smell. I get rid of any remnants after rinsing (because the oils do stay on your face) using ACV + lemon juice + water solution. I've been using ACV for 2 weeks now and haven't noticed any changes. I use Stridex alcohol-free 2% Salicylic acid wipes at night, and during the day I moisturize with Nonie of Beverly Hills' 5% AHA SPF 15 (TiO2) sunscreen. But I'm the first to admit that I'm not overly thrilled with this cleansing regimen...

As for my skin, I don't get cysts (a course of 80 mg Accutane taken 5 years ago got rid of that) but I do get quite a few whiteheads located around my mouth and tons of blackheads in the same area, as well as my nose, chin and forehead and occasionally on my cheeks. My back has recently started to break out, but only since I started taking Fish Oil, so maybe it's an IB from that? No way to tell really.

... incidentally i think it's funny when people call their regimens their "regimes" ... :lol: acne definitely has a regime going on my face!!!

Yeah okay so after I logged off last night I went to take off my makeup (it was a make-up day purely for the SPF factor) and lo ... NO NEW ACTIVE WHITEHEADS!! For the first time since probably January, I did not have a single new whitehead sprout on my face over the course of the day.

As of this writing, I didn't have any today either! I can hardly believe it. I attribute this to the fish oil. I'm on Day 8 of taking it, and I'm taking 2.4 g/day right now. I don't expect perfect skin, but i mean, something's gotta be going differently if I'm finally not breaking out every single day. I should be premenstrual too, I think the big day is Monday so I think I'd be predisposed to get *more* zits. (Well, actually I don't know, I've always sucked at tracking my cycles and paying attention to what's going on, mainly b/c until I went on the Pill, they were horribly irregular. Now I'm off the Pill 7 years later, and they're like clockwork. Go figure.)

So yay! No new nflamed spots/whiteheads/pustules today!! :dance::dance:

Today ... day 9 of using Fish Oil; day 5 of diet/exercise program. It is the third day in a row I haven't developed any inflamed comedones, whiteheads, or pustules!!!!! I can't believe this. I still have a ton of red marks, but without new spots appearing every day (right around the time I started taking Fish Oil, lI sprouted 11 in a day!!) I'm not complaining!!

My face is still shiny, but not as slick as it used to be. Jeez. I'm thrilled already.

Woohoo!!!! :dance:

Yesterday I woke up with one tiny whitehead. It was gone by this morning. My skin looks awesome. Oilyness is definitely being reduced, the consistency is a lot thinner.

I absolutely cannot believe this ... especially as all of last week was, it turned out, PMS week so I should have had *more* active acne. And also, the last time I quit smoking (I know, I know ...) I broke out. This time - nothing! This is day 7 without a cigarette, and I've only had a couple cravings and that was when I had a beer.... always going to crave cigarettes when I have a beer, but I've learned now that I can resist them. Especially if I don't actually have any cigarettes with me!!! :lol:

If this is a fluke I'm going to be so disappointed :pray: but if not ... wow. If only I'd known this before!

I think the "eating better" thing (lol) has actually helped me to gain 2.5 lbs, which is good since I'm hyperthyroid. Still finding it hard to cut out wheat, I might never be able to do that entirely. But I am not missing the dairy that much otherwise. And if what others say about iodine content in dairy is true, then I'm helping my thyroid, too (still gotta do some research on that). I have definitely NOT cut out sugar ... but I definitely have cut way down and that seems to have made a difference.

I should mention I've been doing the whole not drinking within half an hour of eating thing and that's helped too. I'm a really small person and my stomach used to get huge and uncomfortably bloated every time i ate, even if i didn't eat that much. Now it doesn't do that! So hey, it's like a bonus if doing this helps my skin at all.

This week I'm going to raise it up to an even 3.0g o-3 ... I haven't had any reactions to it and I like even numbers. ;)

Got to try to drink more water. It's so hard when I'm always on the go at work, but I've got to make a better effort. I'm thirsty all the time (partly from my medications and partly becaues I exercise so much in my daily life my body gets dehydrated).

Well I don't know if anyone is reading this, but it's great for me keeping track of my progress! yay for progress!

Holy shla-MOLY my face looks awesome! :surprised:

A co-worker even noticed today, saying, "your face has really cleared up! And fast too, like in 2 weeks!" That felt good. Although kinda sucky that it means everyone noticed it in the first place!!

I had 2 new tiny whiteheads and a little pustule when I got up yesterday. The whiteheads were GONE by the end of the day and the pustule fell off today (though I woke up with a new one).

Started the baby brush thing ... we'll see if that helps the whole bunch of closed comedones I have everywhere. Skin's not looking as good as it was a few days ago, but I think that's because my diet has gone to shit because I've been working so much (7A-7P). I haven't had any dairy, but I've definitely had way too much caffeine lately.

Must ... drink ... more ... water!!

i'm so glad your regimen is yielding good results! and so quickly! i'm working on overthrowing the current regime, too. caffiene is also my biggest culprit. my diet is extremely healthy normally--really low sugar, plain yogurt my only dairy, mostly vegetarian, whole foods--but I drink way too much caffiene (usually in the form of diet coke). this is not going to be easy!