Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Willow, I read abt the free radical scavenger part as well. It seems that so far nothing about azelaic acid is bad. However, if u read the insert of finacea or azelex I think they recommend stopping the treatment after 6 months, even though they say its safe to use again if acne resurfaces. Nonethless, they didnt state the reason why we have to stop after 6 months.

Willow, I read abt the free radical scavenger part as well. It seems that so far nothing about azelaic acid is bad. However, if u read the insert of finacea or azelex I think they recommend stopping the treatment after 6 months, even though they say its safe to use again if acne resurfaces. Nonethless, they didnt state the reason why we have to stop after 6 months.

I think its just because there haven't been much research on long term use. Its probably just been a standard thing they have been adding to the insert since the time the product was put on the market. From the research I have read, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that long term use would have any harmful side effects.

You definitely know your stuff, I LOVE Finacea.

Although, if you have seasonal allergies, it

could bother you, 'cause I read azelaic acid

is made from wheat. Kinda neat connection,

huh? ;)

This quote is from the first page but I found it interesting. As I just posted on another Azelex post, this is one of the few topicals that I had bad side effects from. It made me really itchy and red. I generally have very tough skin (10% bp did nothing to me). I also have bad environmental allergies...wonder if it's connected?

Ingredient list for Finacea and Azelax please!

Could someone please post the complete and detailed ingredient list, as labeled by the manufacture for Finacea and Azelax? Both Gel and Cream formula. Should be found in the box or on the tube.

Please help! THANKS!!

I live in Canada. both are not yet available in Canada. So instead, One of the member here, M said that in Canada you need to find a pharmacist who can actually make the compound or magistrale for you, with a doctor's prescription, that is.

Since this is so not known in canada, i though i will take the detailed ingredient list to my doctor and see if she would write me a prescription for a pharmacist to make the compound.

Some of the Canadians here on the board bought Finacea abroad ( US or Australia, among other places), but the delivery charge is crazy expensive! Also, for those of you Canadian who bought them abroad, did you encounter border/custom issues when trying to ship the product across the boarder?

If looks like some of you got the product no problems.

Are there people here having success with other generic brand 20% azelaic cream/gel? i mean, not necessarily Azelax or Finacea?

Also I am wondering for those who have used both Azelax and Finacea, what is your preference and why? It looks like Finacea only comes in Gel form whereas Azelax comes in a cream and a gel form? which one is better for sensitive skin? I prefer cream and want to fry Finacea but there is not a cream Finacea....

If you can tolerate Finacea, I think Finacea would be better, just because it's a bit cheaper than Azelex (at least for me).

However, in my case, my skin wasn't able to tolerate Finacea, possibly due to an allergic reaction it has with one of the inactive ingredients in it. Azelex is working fine for me right now, although I haven't seen any huge improvements, since it hasn't even been one full month of use yet.

The one thing I really do like about azelaic acid is that once you apply it, your skin feels like you just moisturized it, which is a totally different feeling from having to have a dry-skin day on retinoids.

So you guys would all recommend azelaic acid then? I'm making a doctors appointment on Monday and I'm pretty much going to request azelaic acid [or Skinoren as I think it is known in the UK...]

I think it's less irritating than retinoids, but you really have to go by what your doctor says, because nobody on here is really able to see your skin in-person.

I know a few people have tried a few months of commitment on azelaic acid, only to be let down with bad irritation (not everyone can tolerate its irritation, but the majority don't have any problems with it, so you'll probably fit in the majority too).

I personally prefer it over retinoids now because I don't have to worry about getting sunburned more easily than I would, plus, my skin feels really smooth after I put it on. Not to forget mentioning, red marks are going way really quickly and that there's no noticeable flaking (unlike being on retinoids).

AsiaXiah, did you read Willow569's post on this thread about how 15% (Finacea) gel actually have more active than 20% (Azelax) cream-- when applied to the skin. That is, there is more active AA in action retained in the skin, something crazy like 25% to 3.5 % difference.

I wonder if this maybe the reason why your skin can not tolerate Finacea?

Btw, how is the obagi nu-derm going for you?

I used it a few years ago, but back then i could not tolerate tazorac, so i did not use the tazorac part with the regime, not much anyway -- thus did not see too much result.

keep us posted on your obagi nu-derm progress.

After doing a bit more research on the availability of Finacea in Canada, I am thoroughly confused. Originally i though Finacea is not yet commercially available in Canada... as my early research seemed to indicate. But i just found out that CANADADRUGSONLINE.com is selling it, but prescription only.

Just wondering if it is the same stuff as what you get in US and Europe, or is it so called the generic brand? Does any one of you Finacea users know if any 15% generic brand Finacea would be equally effective, theoretically? or is there a particular brand that's better?

Adam, Willow569, or the Canadians on this board, anyone?

I think the brand that makes the Finacea in US and Europe is called Intendis, but it is not sold in Canada? Rather it appears that in Canada, there are other generic brands of Finacea.

Has anyone tried Finacea made by makers other tahn Intendis? and your results?

I've actually put the Obagi on hold for quite a while. The skin lightening cream (hydroquinone) was way too much for my skin at the time (despite how soft my skin was getting).

Anyhow, yes, I did read Willow's post on the differences between the gel and cream for the amount of time it stays in the system as well as how much of it gets absorbed or something like that. I do think that's why Azelex tends to be more gentle than Finacea (for users who have problems with irritation, like myself).

after reading this thread i decided to give finacea a try. my acne is pretty much under control. im adding finacea to my regimen to help fade the dark spots. i used it last nite- it itched a little. today i noticed that my skin looked really smooth and radiant. will continue using and report back in a couple of weeks.

after reading this thread i decided to give finacea a try. my acne is pretty much under control. im adding finacea to my regimen to help fade the dark spots. i used it last nite- it itched a little. today i noticed that my skin looked really smooth and radiant. will continue using and report back in a couple of weeks.

That's very fortunate that you experienced barely any side effects. Lucky! Keep it up and let us know how it goes!

My skin is getting SO.DAMN.DRY with Finacea. It is really helping with my old marks [and despite two large active pimples] I really like it.

The dryness is so bad that it was actually painful the other day. I'm dry mostly around my mouth, both before and after the Finacea is applied.

Kinda annoying but I'm looking for solutions because I like Finacea and haven't used it for a long enough to time to judge.

You need to moisturize over Finacea if these things present themselves. Most people Find Finacea as if it was nothing more than makeup. Causing their skin to be neither dry nor oily by Finacea. Some people experience slight drying. Just for the appearance of healthy, moisturized skin, i would apply a light moisturizer.

My skin is getting SO.DAMN.DRY with Finacea. It is really helping with my old marks [and despite two large active pimples] I really like it.

The dryness is so bad that it was actually painful the other day. I'm dry mostly around my mouth, both before and after the Finacea is applied.

Kinda annoying but I'm looking for solutions because I like Finacea and haven't used it for a long enough to time to judge.

I think you should definitely give Azelex a try.

I'm one of those people who end up getting very dry skin on Finacea, and now on Azelex, it's honestly the best of both worlds. I think I've said it somewhere before, but for people like me, Azelex works like a medicated lotion. Absolutely amazing.

UPDATE:

i have now been using finacea for a month and i must say that im thrilled with the results! my skin looks and feels so much better. it is smoother, clearer, and my spots are fading fast. i have yet to experience any peeling or major break outs just a few small whiteheads that disappear in a day or two. i had some itching the first night i used it but from the second night on there has been no itching, burning, or tingling. i have rec'd several compliments about my skin. i have the most sensitive skin in the world and this has not irritated my skin at all. ive used retin-a in the past and it was horrible. all the peeling and breaking out.i was a nervous wreck when i started using finacea but im really glad that i decided to try it. my derm spoke very highly of it as well. i strongly recommend this product. it has been the answer to my prayers and i will continue using this for a long time to come. thanks adam!!! :)

I've just read all 11 pages of this thread, and I want to try this BAD. Would my derm just be able to give me some sample tubes? I don't think my parents want to pay for another prescription when they just paid for Sulfacetamide Solution a week ago.

I've just read all 11 pages of this thread, and I want to try this BAD. Would my derm just be able to give me some sample tubes? I don't think my parents want to pay for another prescription when they just paid for Sulfacetamide Solution a week ago.

I'm sure there must be samples of Finacea, but it definitely must not be very common because I've yet to meet a dermatologist who has given me samples of Finacea.

It's really a great product; I'd say the best one I've been using so far. But it's also important to remember that despite the hype you may work yourself up to, it isn't a miracle drug nor an answer from heaven. I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but just letting you know because the original post kind of over-hypes the drug.

No, because Finacea hasn't actually gone and changed the thickness of your skin....Retins mess with your skin layers...they make them thicker/thiner....if you have any acne while you use a Retin, it'll make it 10 times worse.

If you have absolutely no Acne, and want to use a Retin for vanity purposes...then you'll be fine...otherwise, expect 12 weeks of hell....not to mention..it just plain out, might not even work for you at all.

Also.....what's the point of going to a Retin once you've used Finacea? Finacea has done all the work of a Retin, without any of the fall backs that Retins are notorious for....you'd be almost stupid, to even consider switching to a Retinoid, if Finacea has indeed worked for you.

I haven't actually read the whole of this thread but i would just like to say:

1. I used retin-a and didn't have an IB and "ten weeks of hell"

2. It certainly did not make my acne 10 times worse (rather 10 times better)

3. Retin-A does work otherwise no-one would ever use it

I think that while it's great that you're trying to sell this product and that you think it is so amazing I think you're being quite misleading.

I admit that i haven't used this product myself but i've heard stories like this so many times about other products, for example with BP. And yes, i've read a hundred times that this is the real thing and it does actually work! People have different skin and different products obviously work better for different people.

No, because Finacea hasn't actually gone and changed the thickness of your skin....Retins mess with your skin layers...they make them thicker/thiner....if you have any acne while you use a Retin, it'll make it 10 times worse.

If you have absolutely no Acne, and want to use a Retin for vanity purposes...then you'll be fine...otherwise, expect 12 weeks of hell....not to mention..it just plain out, might not even work for you at all.

Also.....what's the point of going to a Retin once you've used Finacea? Finacea has done all the work of a Retin, without any of the fall backs that Retins are notorious for....you'd be almost stupid, to even consider switching to a Retinoid, if Finacea has indeed worked for you.

I haven't actually read the whole of this thread but i would just like to say:

1. I used retin-a and didn't have an IB and "ten weeks of hell"

2. It certainly did not make my acne 10 times worse (rather 10 times better)

3. Retin-A does work otherwise no-one would ever use it

I think that while it's great that you're trying to sell this product and that you think it is so amazing I think you're being quite misleading.

I admit that i haven't used this product myself but i've heard stories like this so many times about other products, for example with BP. And yes, i've read a hundred times that this is the real thing and it does actually work! People have different skin and different products obviously work better for different people.

Yeah, as much as the original poster sincerely loves azelaic acid, he did go a bit overboard with it. But thanks to it, a lot of people ended up trying out azelaic acid (which was relatively not very well known in comparison to retinoids) and a lot of people (well, okay, maybe a few) have found out a product that works for them now.

As much as I agree that the original post was very car-salesman like, I do have to admit that I wouldn't have tried out Finacea unless I read this post a while back ago (and azelaic acid's what's gotten me clear after a long while of suffering)...

Finacea definitely gave me better results than I got from using retinoids. While they do work well for many, I think there are some people just don't respond well to retinoids. Finacea may be a great option for them. I LOVE the results I have gotten from Finacea. I have found that I can only use very mild OTC retinoids, otherwise I get flare ups. I got no flare up or IB at all with Finacea though.

Finacea definitely gave me better results than I got from using retinoids. While they do work well for many, I think there are some people just don't respond well to retinoids. Finacea may be a great option for them. I LOVE the results I have gotten from Finacea. I have found that I can only use very mild OTC retinoids, otherwise I get flare ups. I got no flare up or IB at all with Finacea though.

Willow, I know you've used Finacea for a very good long period of time now, and I wanted to ask, did you notice any changes in the amount of oil you had on your face as time went by on Finacea?

I've been using Finacea for quite a while now too, and it's working wonders for me (actually clear, with occasional zits now and then, along with nice complexion and best of all, no redness), but the only thing is, when I first started on Finacea, it would keep my skin really smooth and oil-free, but I'm starting to notice that as time goes on, I'm getting a little bit more oil than before (not a significant amount, but still just curious).

Hey AX,

I thought you were using the Azelex Cream and not the finacea gel?

Hey AX,

I thought you were using the Azelex Cream and not the finacea gel?

I'm actually alternating now... I use Finacea until my face starts to get a bit dry, and then I use Azelex. I've talked it over with my doctor, and she said it'd be fine to do that, but I do try to use more of Finacea now since it's half the price of Azelex (for me).