Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I thought Finacea didn't cause any sun sensitivity. I may be wrong, but that's what I heard. My doctor gave me no warning about that. I know products like Retin-A require strict sun protection, but I don't think Finacea does.

Finacea can be worn at the beach while you're sun bathing. Duac/Benzaclin, could be worn during the daytime, but what's the point? EVERYONE can tell you're wearing it.

Finacea day time...all day long. With light, non-spf moisturizer.

Use Finacea again at night on areas of your face where you do no get breakouts...and areas where you do get breakouts, apply Duac/Benzaclin. Then cake on a heavy moisturizer. Who cares if you look greasy or oily. You should be going to bed right after you do this.

Finacea can be worn at the beach while you're sun bathing. Duac/Benzaclin, could be worn during the daytime, but what's the point? EVERYONE can tell you're wearing it.

Use Finacea again at night on areas of your face where you do no get breakouts...and areas where you do get breakouts, apply Duac/Benzaclin. Then cake on a heavy moisturizer. Who cares if you look greasy or oily. You should be going to bed right after you do this.

The problem with that for me is my red marks are combined in the same area as where I have acne.

Ive been using Azelex Cream since November 9th so its been a month soon. I really like it a lot. Its similar to Finacea in that its also azelaic acid except its a 20% cream. Finacea is 15% gel I believe.

It's been a week, and my skin hasn't been showing any dryness. It's peeled a teeny bit over my cheekbones, but it's always smooth before and after, no tightness. Since the irritation is very minimal, do you think it'd be okay to up Finacea to twice a day every other day? Would that be any more beneficial?

It's been a week, and my skin hasn't been showing any dryness. It's peeled a teeny bit over my cheekbones, but it's always smooth before and after, no tightness. Since the irritation is very minimal, do you think it'd be okay to up Finacea to twice a day every other day? Would that be any more beneficial?

That should be fine. I use my azelex cream twice a day

Hey Adam...can you possibly specify the moisturizers that you use in the morning and the one at night to "cake on" ? I am just debating if I should completely cut out Retin-A from my regimen or still use that with the Finacea?

One more thing, you mentioned that you take 50mg Zinc in the morning. My question is that, can Zinc be taken permanently like lets say Centrum Vitamin's or do you need to go off the Zinc for a short period and then restart?

Thank You

Oh...and besides that...Zinc is VERY good for your immune system. I haven't been sick in a long time. Just don't let my boss know that...i need a few sick days, even though i'm not. Zinc can be taken for the rest of your life, with no negative effects, so as long as you don't take more than 100mg a day. Too much Zinc isn't good. 50mg a day is PLENTY of Zinc..it's actually a lot more than the DV recommends, but for acne, 30-50mg is good.

Quick update: What is acne? I don't even know what acne is anymore...it's been so long since i've had a breakout...i only get the occasional 1-2 whiteheads. I know if i quit doing what i do, i'd go back to rock bottom, so what i mean to say is....i love Finacea. It has been my savior for the past 9 months. ( i think it's 9...it's been a long time)

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I am going to beg my derm to prescribe Finacea since all she ever does is give me Doxy and Benzaclin, but I don't know how to pronounce it and I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about!

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I am going to beg my derm to prescribe Finacea since all she ever does is give me Doxy and Benzaclin, but I don't know how to pronounce it and I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about!

That's not a stupid question! I ordered my prescription over the phone, but my pharmacist pronounced it "Fine-Ay-Shah". =]

Can you use finacea and retin-a at the same time? Like retin-a at night and finacea in the morning maybe? I'm hoping the finacea can help with redness, my face is always beat red.

I just ordered Finacea today; really excited to start it (can't wait until it gets here).

I'm just so tired of always being red from having used retinoid creams... And I know it's from having used them because whenever I wash my face, the areas where I apply Retin-A are the ones that turn red. I'm really hoping Finacea will get me back to my normal skin pigment (so tired of having people ask me why my skin's so red all the time).

I actually am hoping it'll turn my skin really pasty/pale ~ in fact, I've always thought really fair/pasty skin was a good thing (I don't really get why a lot of people are worrying about that :think: ).

Anyhow, once I start it, I'll post again to say whether or not it's working!

Oh yeah, I was also really surprised and kind of angry that my dermatologist was so familiar with the product. Because he's never even brought it up, I was practically expecting to have to explain to him what it was. I don't really get why dermatologists don't recommend this product very often...

Hope everything goes great for you, AsiaXiah!

I was wondering... What is it in Finacea that allows it to kill acne bacteria? I understand why products like antibiotics work, but how exactly does Finacea kill bacteria? Thanks!

Edit

Nevermind, I read this in the first post: "It has antibacterial properties so it's also effective at killing P. Bacteria which causes Acne." I'm guessing it's the acid that has these "antibacterial properties," then. I hope it kills bacteria as well as my antibiotic was, since this is all I'm using now... just Finacea in the morning. Fingers crossed.

I just recently finished a series of peels and with no luck my red marks/hyperpigmentation marks are still here (my last peel was 2 weeks ago). Is it safe to use Finacea? Will Finacea help with hyper pigmentation? Also is it safe to use it with AHA lotion?

I just recently finished a series of peels and with no luck my red marks/hyperpigmentation marks are still here (my last peel was 2 weeks ago). Is it safe to use Finacea? Will Finacea help with hyper pigmentation? Also is it safe to use it with AHA lotion?

Don't give up on the peels having an effect on your hyperpigmentation. Marks won't necessarily go away right after the peels. The peels just help speed the fading process a little. Finacea should help - it may take a couple of months using it for you to start to notice a difference though. It should be ok to use with an AHA lotion - just use the two products at different times of the day. Are you using any other treatment products at the moment?

Remarks really just take time to go away, nothing is going to fade them overnight. I know its hard to be patient though! Something else that helps is making sure you wear sunscreen. Sun exposure/tanning can increase the appearance of redmarks, so be careful with that.

I switched up my previous regimen to try out Finacea for two weeks and decided to switch back and toss out the Finacea. Before using Finacea, my regimen had kept my face fairly clear with the exception of a couple of non-attention grabbing pimples. After using Finacea my acne got worse with more pimples of the big noticable variety. The only good side effect from using Finacea was my skin tone was nicer.

I've been on a particular regimen that seems to be the most effective for me. In the morning and at night I cleanse with a BP 10% that I leave on for five minutes and then rinse. After cleansing with the BP in the morning I apply GC level 9 and then sunscreen moisturizer. At night after my BP cleansing I rotate every other night between Sal Acid 2% + Mandelic Acid 15% and GC level 9.

When I was using Finacea, I replaced the GC level 9 with Finacea.

It's been 9 days since I've been using Finacea.

The first few days, results were amazing. Whiteheads and inflammed acne practically shrunk to nothing, my skin looked better overall, and the redness was starting to go away.

I think I've been hard on my skin recently by getting barely any sleep and having a bit of alcohol, so my skin's been kind of looking like its Retin-A days, but I'm hoping that Finacea will keep on doing its job.

As for the stinging/itching... Man, I just read that it was pretty bad for some people, but once I experienced it, I really understood. The first few days, the burning/itching was so bad that I didn't know what to do. Thankfully, now it lasts barely a few minutes (and getting better).

Don't give up on the peels having an effect on your hyperpigmentation. Marks won't necessarily go away right after the peels. The peels just help speed the fading process a little. Finacea should help - it may take a couple of months using it for you to start to notice a difference though. It should be ok to use with an AHA lotion - just use the two products at different times of the day. Are you using any other treatment products at the moment?

Remarks really just take time to go away, nothing is going to fade them overnight. I know its hard to be patient though! Something else that helps is making sure you wear sunscreen. Sun exposure/tanning can increase the appearance of redmarks, so be careful with that.

ugh, i just did 2 months of peels and they sorta got better...But i really heard some amazing things about finecea with darker skin types and i really wanted to give it a try. But is finacea safe to use after a peel? (2 weeks ago) And generally when is it safe to use other tropicals such as BP, SA, AHA, after a peel? I want to use a SA treatment for the time being until i can get Finacea.

Can't wait to start this. :dance:

I'm rather glad some people have said that this makes your skin very pale, considering I have a pale complexion. (Which has been taken over by redness, hah.) So I doubt there'll be any drawbacks.

Would it be oaky to use this with clindamycin, or since it has the same bacteria-killing effects, I can just take out the clindamycin?

I'm rather glad some people have said that this makes your skin very pale, considering I have a pale complexion. (Which has been taken over by redness, hah.) So I doubt there'll be any drawbacks.

That's what I looked forward to when I first started it. Be careful, though -- I have sensitive skin and went right to using it twice a day, Clindamycin once a day, and my skin was constantly burnt-looking. Start slow and things should go fine.

I have used azelaic acid for nearly a month now. For the first three weeks, I had virtually no breakouts and my face was slowly healing, which I attributed to azelaic acid. This week however, I had about 4 zits popping up. So right now I am not sure if the good condition of the first 3 weeks was due to azelaic acid or not.

Perhaps the usage of azelaic acid merely coincided with the temporary remission of my acne and they were totally unrelated. Nevertheless, it might be unreasonable to expect azelaic acid to stop a major breakout anyway, and perhaps it had stopped more from popping up. Well, I'll need more time to ascertain that.

One thing for sure though, those zits sure heal fast. The white heads become dry in like.. one day and looked like they could be easily scrapped off, which I resisted doing of course. There was a particular zit that, based on past experience, would have filled with a lot of pus, but I think because of azelaic acid, it only reached the stage where it became red and bumpy before it started to subside.

I can't say its a miracle drug... yet. I'll use it for another 5 months. After such a long term treatment, I can tell you for sure if it works.

After reading the thread, just to confirm,

Finacea does the same job as Retin-A right?

So this means it can help with improving texture of skin and also scars?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Rapid shedding of skin causes scares to fade, and red marks to be gone in a matter of days..depending on how bad they are. Some red marks are impossible to get rid of, unless laser procedures are used. In terms of texture of the skin, it'll quite in short, make your face smooth as a babies ass. Nice, soft, smooth, new looking skin. :D