Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I used azelex, which is 5 percent stronger than finacea (active ingredient wise). I am completely dumb founded as to why the drug stopped working. Quite annoying though.

Sometimes your skin simply adapts to a product that used to be effective, so it no longer works for you. This happens to people with other products too - BP, retinoids, etc. Sometimes switching products helps, or using something slightly stronger (I know azelex is the strongest azelaic acid product though), or using a product more frequently (twice a day versus once) can help too.

Yeah, I jumped on in and used it 2X a day. About a week and a half later little whiteheads and clogged pores were building a town and having a barbecque on my forehead. Despite all this, my pores were small!

Yeah, I jumped on in and used it 2X a day. About a week and a half later little whiteheads and clogged pores were building a town and having a barbecque on my forehead. Despite all this, my pores were small!

That sucks! I hope you find something else that works just as well as Azelex did.

Some more questions (sorry, just want to make sure I know my stuff when I visit the doctor...):

- How much does Finacea cost in the US?

- How quickly does it whiten the complexion?

- How long does it take to begin fading red marks?

- Also, does it fight against inflamed acne and comedones equally well?

Thank you!!

Could anyone answer any of the questions I asked above?

- How much does Finacea cost?

- Does it fight against inflamed acne and comedones equally well?

Could anyone answer any of the questions I asked above?

- How much does Finacea cost?

- Does it fight against inflamed acne and comedones equally well?

I'll probably be at the doctor's office within the next two weeks, so I'll see if he recommends this product.

1. Cost depends on your insurance. I paid for it because my derm is out of my insurance network. Paid $118 for a 50 gram tube.

2. It only lightens red marks and hyperpigmentation - it doesn't whiten the rest of your skin. It probably varies, but most people see notable results within 2-3 months.

3. It works to fight both, but I think it probably has strongest effects against inflamed acne, since it both kills bacteria and reduces inflamation. It also has anti-keratinizing effects, which reduces comedone formation - so it also does help with non-inflamed acne by preventing the comedones from forming in the first place.

1. Cost depends on your insurance. I paid for it because my derm is out of my insurance network. Paid $118 for a 50 gram tube.

2. It only lightens red marks and hyperpigmentation - it doesn't whiten the rest of your skin. It probably varies, but most people see notable results within 2-3 months.

3. It works to fight both, but I think it probably has strongest effects against inflamed acne, since it both kills bacteria and reduces inflamation. It also has anti-keratinizing effects, which reduces comedone formation - so it also does help with non-inflamed acne by preventing the comedones from forming in the first place.

Thanks for the info! So I guess buying it from an online Australian pharmacy for $40-something (including shipping) would be a better deal, then... haha.

I'm surprised to hear that it doesn't whiten the complexion, especially because it's made for rosacea. Some areas of my face always seem to be redder than the rest of me, so I was hoping it'd do something for that. Oh well, it's still worth getting rid of red marks and helping fight acne. =]

Thanks for the info! So I guess buying it from an online Australian pharmacy for $40-something (including shipping) would be a better deal, then... haha.

I'm surprised to hear that it doesn't whiten the complexion, especially because it's made for rosacea. Some areas of my face always seem to be redder than the rest of me, so I was hoping it'd do something for that. Oh well, it's still worth getting rid of red marks and helping fight acne. =]

Actually one of the benefits of AA is that it doesn't bleach normal skin like other skin lightening products do. It only seems to target abnormally pigmented skin cells. Maybe rosacea involves abnormally pigmented cells too? It also takes down inflamation which may indirectly reduce redness. I think also that they are not entirely sure how AA works on rosacea, but they have a pretty good idea on how it works for acne and hyperpigmentation.

Today's my second day using Finacea (I've only been using it once a day, in the morning). I haven't really noticed anything yet, so it seems that my skin is handling it well. I like that it makes my face feel soft, but it tends to be tacky, and it's kind of hard to put my liquid concealer over it. Today I tried using Clindamycin after Finacea, but it was kind of hard to spread, so I'll probably switch to putting on Clindamycin first, waiting thirty minutes, then applying Finacea.

I haven't noticed anything bad really, except that the areas where I apply my spot treatment got a little pink for a few hours, so I stopped using it. I guess AA doesn't do well with some ingredient in the spot treatment.

Is Finacea very drying? If so, when does the dryness usually occur?

Wait...you're using Clindamycin lotion after Finacea? NO NO. Don't do that. That Clindamycin is JUNK compared to Finacea. Trust me. Only use Finacea in the day. Use a light moisturizer over Finacea. Disregard Clindamycin....trust me.

I don't plan on using Clindamycin for much longer, but it's done wonders for me. I want to wait until I notice Finacea working before dropping it in the morning.

Adam, one question -- how long do you think it'll be before I notice any fading with my red marks?

It shouldn't take long. It varies for a lot of people, depending on how bad they are, but if you're consistent, and don't irritate your skin, Finacea helps a lot. Make sure your skin is hydrated enough though, otherwise repairing it will be 5 times harder. I've been using Finacea for so long, that i don't recall what it feels like to have uneven skin anymore. It almost seems like it's nonexistent. I like what Finacea does to my skin. It seriously makes me feel confident, and i know that i have "Normal" skin. I don't have those red marks, or bumps anymore...and my skin isn't "Patchy" looking. I MIGHT have 1 or 2 small whiteheads, that are slightly red, but other than that...it's all clear, fair skin. I do remember though when i first started using Finacea, my skin was a RECK. I hated myself, i didn't feel comfortable being close to people...like i couldn't stare people in the face, or look into people's eyes. I had almost no confidence or self esteem. Now i have no problem, and for a while, have been a lot more laid back and relaxed. I can look into people's faces, i have a girl friend who likes touching our faces together and it doesn't bother me, i don't think "Holy crap i'm going to break out now because she's doing this" ....

IDK if it's all Finacea, but i know it's the ONLY thing i wear when i'm out and about. Besides that i just use Duac at night, and cake on a heavy moisturizer. NO WAY IN HELL, could i only live on that though. I take Minocycline and Zinc during the day, along with Finacea on my face ALL day. NEVER do i break out, NEVER do i worry, and NEVER do i care about what foods i eat. I know it's Finacea that makes my skin this smooth, clear, and good looking. It also holds my acne off at bay, and actually probably gains a lot of ground on it. Then i use Duac and just kill the chance of any Bacteria being present. Just stay on top of it. You'll notice Finacea will give you a lot more freedom over other products. You can work out, sweat, and not worry about white stuff dripping down your face, you can do normal things. It isn't oily, greasy, or noticeable. It's almost like cover up that girls use, except it helps with acne. It actually conceals a lot of your imperfections instantly..and over time it gets rid of them. I love Finacea, i love AA. Keep using it. Keep a lot of irritants away, UNLESS you can moisturize above what they take away. Always put more back into your skin, than what you take away.

Thanks for that post, it really cleared some of my questions up!

Most things I use make my skin slightly red for a while (it's very fair and sensitive), but my skin isn't dry or tight at all, so I'll keep using Finacea every morning. I was surprised how easy my concealer went on today - my skin texture feels much nicer, and I'm only on my fourth day.

I was hoping to eventually stop Clindamycin and work Finacea up to twice a day (I have mild acne), but I'm worried that that might be too much for my skin. I've heard of people using it twice a day, however, and I figure I'll have plenty of time to work up to that. If Clindamycin twice a day was enough to keep my inflamed acne down 100%, do you think Finacea would do just as well for me?

Sorry for all the questions, haha!

Thanks for that post, it really cleared some of my questions up!

Most things I use make my skin slightly red for a while (it's very fair and sensitive), but my skin isn't dry or tight at all, so I'll keep using Finacea every morning. I was surprised how easy my concealer went on today - my skin texture feels much nicer, and I'm only on my fourth day.

I was hoping to eventually stop Clindamycin and work Finacea up to twice a day (I have mild acne), but I'm worried that that might be too much for my skin. I've heard of people using it twice a day, however, and I figure I'll have plenty of time to work up to that. If Clindamycin twice a day was enough to keep my inflamed acne down 100%, do you think Finacea would do just as well for me?

Sorry for all the questions, haha!

heey,

finacea is really starting to work for me lauren,(as i recall you said to keep you updated?) well, i have been consistently using it every day now and I don't use my Benzaclin every day either, maybe once a week or something, but it has made my face real smooth and red marks are also fading. GL

Quick question for everyone...I have been using Retin-A and Clindamycin(Evoclin) for over a year now and I think Clindamycin has stopped working for me. I am switching over to Finacea and I was wondering if its ok for me to substitute this for my Retin-A and Clindamycin? I am trying to stay away from an antibiotic form of treatment so do I still need something to substitute for my Clindamycin or should Finacea take care of both?

Thank you in advance.

P.S: Deadbeat...thanks for referring me to this tread.

Yes, Finacea will do a very good job, in place of Retin A and Clindamycin. Depends on how bad your acne is, but use it twice a day...otherwise once a day during the daytime and at night time, use some sort of BP. Make sure you moisturize well...and you'll be seeing good results.

Yes, Finacea will do a very good job, in place of Retin A and Clindamycin. Depends on how bad your acne is, but use it twice a day...otherwise once a day during the daytime and at night time, use some sort of BP. Make sure you moisturize well...and you'll be seeing good results.

I take it your talking about using BP as spot treatment? Doesnt that cancel each other out...Finacea and BP? So cleanser, Finacea and moisturize all within a fifteen minute intervals or should I wait 15 mins b/w each you think?

Thank You

I use Duac on my forehead, Chin, and upper lip.

Morning. Finacea...entire face. 10 mins later.. LIGHT moisturizer.

WEAR it all day.

Night time, wash face, Finacea to cheeks and nose. Duac to forehead, chin, and upper lip. Cake on Cetaphil moisturizer 10 mins later..and go night night. Wake up and do the normal morning routine ALL over again. Works fantastic.

I use Duac on my forehead, Chin, and upper lip.

Morning. Finacea...entire face. 10 mins later.. LIGHT moisturizer.

WEAR it all day.

Night time, wash face, Finacea to cheeks and nose. Duac to forehead, chin, and upper lip. Cake on Cetaphil moisturizer 10 mins later..and go night night. Wake up and do the normal morning routine ALL over again. Works fantastic.

I think I might end up doing the same thing and see if that works.

I had two questions...

1) Is Duac an antibiotic? Reason I am asking is because doesnt that mean that my skill will get accustomed to it and I will have to change at one point?

2) Are you using any form of cleanser?

Thanks again.

Duac isn't a sole antibiotic. It has Clindamycin 1% in it. 5 % BP. Basically BP never stops working. Clinda, MAY stop, but my doubts are high. I don't really even care about the Clinda anyways, i only want the prescription strength BP. At any rate, your skin will never become accustomed to Duac/Benzaclin to were it just stops working. And the only cleanser i use ...is WATER! Far too long have i used cleansers that have just dried out, irritated, and made my situation worse. Water has seemed to be doing the trick for the last 6 months. Maybe a cleanser would help? I doubt it. I don't have oily skin, so this is why it's pretty easy for me to not need one. My skin is worse when it's dry, so using a cleanser, even a light one, doesn't work too well. I only recommend this, if your skin is always dry and irritated. Otherwise, a cleanser can't hurt i suppose. I just don't believe i need them twice a day. It's excess irritation. IMHO.

Duac isn't a sole antibiotic. It has Clindamycin 1% in it. 5 % BP. Basically BP never stops working. Clinda, MAY stop, but my doubts are high. I don't really even care about the Clinda anyways, i only want the prescription strength BP. At any rate, your skin will never become accustomed to Duac/Benzaclin to were it just stops working. And the only cleanser i use ...is WATER! Far too long have i used cleansers that have just dried out, irritated, and made my situation worse. Water has seemed to be doing the trick for the last 6 months. Maybe a cleanser would help? I doubt it. I don't have oily skin, so this is why it's pretty easy for me to not need one. My skin is worse when it's dry, so using a cleanser, even a light one, doesn't work too well. I only recommend this, if your skin is always dry and irritated. Otherwise, a cleanser can't hurt i suppose. I just don't believe i need them twice a day. It's excess irritation. IMHO.

Is Duac similar to Benzaclin? Benzaclin is also 1% Clindamycin and 5% BP.

Ive been using Clinda for about a year and I think it has lost its touch so I might move on over to Duac and Finacea actually with a cleanser. Do you think I should do Finacea and Duac on the same day (morning/night) or just try alternating days and using it at night? The reason I ask is after reading the first post...I know something was mentioned along the lines of sun damage. I know in turn I could put SPF 15 but it just makes my oily skin worse unfortunately! I am definetely going to go with Finacea...just trying to figure out the best combination!