Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all! I'm brandy-new to this board (please note post count). smile.gif

Anyway, I'm 33 and have the skin of a teenager, which completely and utterly sucks. And ya know, if I got the occasional pimple here and there, I suppose it wouldn't be so bad. But I get little pimples, big pimples, here, there, and everywhere. And I'm sick of them.

I've been to a dermatologist, and was on a 6-month course of Accutane a few years back because my skin didn't respond to any other prescriptions...

Benzamyacin: worked at first, but skin built up tolerance to antibiotic

Cleocin: pretty much ineffective

Other antibiotics: worthless

Retin-A Micro: irritated skin too much to use on continuous basis

Proactiv Solution: worked for a little while, but skin is no longer fooled

The Accutane worked, but I may need a shorter 3-month course to clear my skin up again. However, Accutane is quite a harsh drug and I was wondering if anyone on the acne forum has tried an over the counter remedy that worked well for them.

Has anyone tried Oxzit http://www.oxzit.com/1.html

or Murad http://www.murad.com/html/ibeCZzpHome.jsp?...20&respid=22372? I just ordered the Oxzit and will let y'all know how it works after I've used it for a week or so. I'm considering purchasing the Murad kit as well. Neither are terribly expensive.

Hi Bittersweet,

You're not alone...plenty of adult acne sufferers on this board. I'm 28 and still have invest some energy in fighting the dreaded scourge.

There are two different options I think you might want to investigate.

1) the Regimen. (click acne.org at top of screen to go to home page) basically a routine of using 2.5% bp, light cleansing and moisturising twice daily. It has cut back my outbreaks by 90% I would say I now get the occasional small pimple on my jaw around my period. I can live with that.

2) Birth Control/testosterone blockers. You haven't mentioned these in your list. But they can make a massive difference to the skin of some women. I have only used androgen inhibiting birth control (Diane) and to be honest it only made a small difference for me....however others feel that this has been the magic bullet for them.

ps - I wouldn't used the murad kit...I believe it uses sulfur as one of its key ingredients....very drying and irritating. There are two comparable topicals which are considerede to be the most effective in acne treatment....benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. They work differently and typically can't be combined. Study up.

Good luck

Frances

Totally - I'm 23 and have had bad skin for about 9 years now. I would have thought that I couldn't get anymore. When it rains it pours. I also went on Accutane, it worked but I still get outbreaks and the outbreaks that I had whilst on Accutane were the worst I've ever had. Sometimes I would cry over it.

I hope that this regime will work.

The "OxZit" site backs up another post about "Just Using Water".

I've been trying water only now for about 5 days and the skin was completely Matt each day and looked clear,any pimples that were there dried out quickly but today after shaving ive a few new ones and the skin was a bit dry and red in the areas of the cysts.

I used some Aloe Vera Gel which toned things out right away and then applied Allergenics moisturiser.

Tonight things seem back in balance so now its just a matter of warm water again for a few days n see if that clears things up.

The skin seems alot more in harmony with the rest of the body since using water only,and I believe its just a matter of a it adjusting to a natural balance.

When I was using cleansers the skin got oily very quickly and broke out more......whereas with the water only this doesnt happen.......so I believe this is the best way to go.

Think about it ......back in Egyptian times there was no such thing as soaps and skin strippers.....and they had flawless skin.....and so on in times aswell.....acne was an unknown source.

Then the introduction of chemical cleansers etc etc and all hell breaks loose.

I believe the majority of people are aggrivating their condition with what they are putting on it.

Try simple water,just even for a week and see the difference.

Rinse well in the shower and that will do for the day.

Bittersweet you are not alone..... I also have adult-onset acne, and whatever clear skin I had since my teen age years ( used to get just a zit or two at that time of the month) turned against me with a vengeance!!!! And whats worse.... adult acne is not something you can "outgrow".... ](*,)

Think about it ......back in Egyptian times there was no such thing as soaps and skin strippers.....and they had flawless skin.....and so on in times aswell.....acne was an unknown source.

Back when the Egypians we're alive, the planet was a lot cleaner. I've noticed that when I visit my family in rural Arkansas my skin tends to clean up. But in Brooklyn, where the pollution level is very high, I've got terrible skin. I really think that the high air polution levels coupled with a steady diet of crappy food is what has triggered a wide acne epidemic amongst modern people. Just a thought.

I live in Wellington New Zealand...the air is so clear round here it is one of the key places they measure global air pollution. And yet my skin breaks out...clearest period ever for me was spent in Toronto ..a big nasty polluted city - so go figure.

I really think that the high air polution levels coupled with a steady diet of crappy food is what has triggered a wide acne epidemic amongst modern people. Just a thought.

frances: I was on birth control (Ortho TriCyclen) a couple years back. In fact, I went on it after having finished my course of Accutane, and it did help a bit in keeping things under control. However, the hormone dosages were a bit too strong, so I switched to a lower dosage prescrip, and eventually went off b.c. altogether.

circle: I've often wondered about that "warm water" method and whether or not I could actually do it myself. I've been so programmed into thinking the dirt and oil on my face is bad and is helping to cause the acne that it must be gotten rid of; I think I'd look and feel that my face is dirty too. Hmm...

yeah i hear you.. being 38 myself (have acne since i was 17 years), things that work seem to quit working after a few months, derm says i'm not a candidate for Accutane. i tried that Oxzit & it didn't do anything.. unfortunately.. currently i wash with Triaz 10% cleaner, use Differin and take Doxycyclin 100mg. i must say the acne is mild but still it annoys the hell outta me :} on a usual base i have 3-4 zits at the time. (once i had lots more and thought, if only i had a few.. now i have a few & i think if only i had none :}

anyway, hope you, me & the rest here all finds their solutions. i would like to try the water only remedy but am a little hesitant :}