Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solid_Snake

Please read and give feedback (esp. Dan and the Mods)

Ok an idea popped into my head as I was getting ready for work and looking at my bathroom counter filled with products. A lot of people ask for advice about a product and they get lots of different answers. One person says they used product xyz and it worked great. So you think about buying it.

But then another person says product xyz is crap and made them break out like no tomorrow. Now what? I'm sure both people that recommended the product (or not) had good intentions and that they were telling the truth from their experience. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet that will work for everyone.

My idea is this. How about we create classicfications for skin types? And then once we roughly create that, you can post your recommendation (good or bad) but also list what type of skin you have so that others with similar skin can get more accurate feedback and find out what to expect?

For example, I'd say that I'm oily skin prone, doesn't easy get sunburned, and do not have sensitive skin. Now everyone won't fit into every catagory neatly and perfectly, but atleast you have some direction instead of aimlessly trying every product out there. What do you think?

-Snake

I think it's a very good idea, and that people just just specify when they are stating how a product worked for them. Good thinking!

smile.gif sj

A site which does exactly that already exists it is called www.makeupalley.com

Personally I think it would be very valuable if people here posted product reviews there also. I will not buy any product unless I have checked out ratings and comments from MUA.

There are lots of sites that rates products. Cosmeticscop.com, epinion, etc. I just thought it would be useful to have a skin type profile on this site along with the persons experience with a product. So like if you have dry skin, you can see what other people with dry has used etc. Something like that.

-Snake

Guest fatman_uk

Yeah, you should steal some kinda search table off another site so when ppl input their skin type, etc... that it'll come up with products recommended by ppl in the same category. T'would be good.

I'd help in any way i could if needed.

-Gaz

I think that would be a great idea.

Whilst makeupalley.com is one of the best review sites for skin products, not every acne product is reviewed and for those that are, not all reviews contain information on skin type.

I think Cosmeticscop.com and the sage website (sorry, don't know link offhand) are a little too biased (although very good information-wise) as the reviews are mostly based on the ingredients lists and not from someone's personal experience.

This idea would be especially good for people looking for products to use for Dan's regimen. I know he has a recommended list but not everyone's skin agrees with those products and the Ukers can't really get their hands on them either.

Btw, www.clearskin.net has a review section for acne products but I don't think there aren't enough reviews for each product.