Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venomous

Starting my spiro treatment log

HOORAY!

this is very, very encouraging!

did you ever have issues with blackheads too? (it seems i am battling everything...small whiteheads, small red pimples, medium/large whiteheads AND cysts!)

having a hard time figuring out just what helps which acne

ugh

I've had blackheads on my nose since I can remember, they actually don't bother me at all. Just this year I began getting a few on my chin but again, blackheads don't really bother me. Mostly because I've mastered popping them! haha

My main issue pre-spiro were the cysts, I'd get one a month that would last 3 weeks then 1 week of clear then bam another one. Until this year I began getting multiple cysts at a time so I made the choice to start spiro.

I've had blackheads on my nose since I can remember, they actually don't bother me at all. Just this year I began getting a few on my chin but again, blackheads don't really bother me. Mostly because I've mastered popping them! haha

yeah, they are the easiest! but i've had craziness lately with them -- like TWENTY on my chin & upper lip every day, maybe even more, plus nose, forehead, and the middle of my cheeks (they are not even very "black" on the top, but come out just like a blackhead) Wonder what that's all about?

My main issue pre-spiro were the cysts, I'd get one a month that would last 3 weeks then 1 week of clear then bam another one. Until this year I began getting multiple cysts at a time so I made the choice to start spiro.

I hear you...not all mine are that big & some are also just sort of deep (red/inflamed) pimples.

Plus some whiteheads.

My oh my, is spiro going to help ALL this I wonder???

congrats venomous! I´ve been reading your updates and it´s really motivating! I might get some good results as well....I´m on my second week of spiro 100 mg/day and I think I´m starting my inicial breakout...do you think that´s normal? I´m really sad actually because I got like 6 pimples on one cheek and three on the other one, they´re not huge but they are big and red...a week ago I also started dan´s regimen and I messed it up because I started too hard on the bp, my face got very red, dry, flaky and even a little swollen... :redface: now I ´m just using it at night...but still my face looks terrible, I´m very self conscious about it!...And for TheMommy, how are you doing? any improvement yet?

I don't recall having an initial breakout, I did however try a new face wash once that my derm gave me that instantly made my face swollen and red! It was terrible because I had to go to class 5 minutes after I cleaned my face. I used aloe and it brought it down drastically.

And for TheMommy, how are you doing? any improvement yet?

Well, my doctor said not to expect any true effects for about 3 months...i have blood testing in about another week, then I see her 3 weeks after that...?

I am on 50 mg (25 mg - 2x day) and she says she has never had a patient need more than that. Hmmm...

I am really, really, really trying not to "play" with my skin & let it calm down. Doing what I would call a "modified" Daniel's regime. Can't say any change for sure yet. (My periods are really messed up, so that makes my skin go up & down in crazy cycles too...)

That's about it!

And for TheMommy, how are you doing? any improvement yet?

Well, my doctor said not to expect any true effects for about 3 months...i have blood testing in about another week, then I see her 3 weeks after that...?

I am on 50 mg (25 mg - 2x day) and she says she has never had a patient need more than that. Hmmm...

I am really, really, really trying not to "play" with my skin & let it calm down. Doing what I would call a "modified" Daniel's regime. Can't say any change for sure yet. (My periods are really messed up, so that makes my skin go up & down in crazy cycles too...)

That's about it!

that is interesting about he spiro doseage. I thought my daughter was the only one on that low an amount.

I´m a doctor as well and I´ve read many medical articles reviewing the use of spiro for acne, the effective dose in most of the cases is 100 and 200 mg. But, some patients can actually get better only with 25 mg. It really depends on each case. I started with 100 mg. I can´t wait for it to start working. I´ve been on it for 3 weeks now.

I´m a doctor as well and I´ve read many medical articles reviewing the use of spiro for acne, the effective dose in most of the cases is 100 and 200 mg. But, some patients can actually get better only with 25 mg. It really depends on each case. I started with 100 mg. I can´t wait for it to start working. I´ve been on it for 3 weeks now.

Dr. Gelli! I am excited to have a real M.D. on here. I also think that it is exciting that there are medical articles reviewing the use of spiro for acne. That is very encouraging. I have the impression that most doctors are still clueless about it. Welcome to the boards.

Ok so I'm in my 13th week and I am looking pretty clear this week. No new pimples so I'm not sure how long it will last, I go through periods where my face is clear then a week later I get more! We'll see.

Ok so I'm in my 13th week and I am looking pretty clear this week. No new pimples so I'm not sure how long it will last, I go through periods where my face is clear then a week later I get more! We'll see.

I´m on my 6th week and my face already looks better. But I get the same thing: I´m clear for a few days and they I get 3 or 4 new ones. Are you taking spiro everyday or do you make the same 7 days pause like with the bcp?

Thanks! the question was because I read in an article that if you take only 16 to 21 days per month, you get good results as well and better tolerance to the medication.

Hi All, I am new to the site. I have been on spiro (50mg/morning) for last 3 weeks or so, have had no side affects at all so far. Also no improvement, your posts are giving me hope though, especially venonomous and the other girl who started same time as her..

I noticed at week 6, you thought it was working great but then at week 11 you are still waiting for the full effects - I was so hoping this would work in a month, my skin was never that oily to begin with (slightly only), but i am getting spots on my jaw line and since i started taking the spiro - some along my cheek bone - is that normal?

i have read so much about spiro in connection with PCOS - do any of you have that?

Also another question, i have been on the pill for years and then had to come off it for a year/so, as I was getting really bad cramps and diarrohoea (sorry for being so descriptive), certain foods seem to aggravate me also, anyway the doctor knew nothing about it, but I am convinced it assoc with the pill, back on the pill now again with the spiro.. from past experiences it seemed the longer i was ont he pill, the more frequently i got cramps and diarrohoea after eating etc etc...

last question - when can we expect never to see a spot again? how long do we have to be on spiro for that to happen? :clap:

I've been on Spiro for 8 months now and have had excellent results. A few days ago, I started developing my first cyst under my skin on my chin :( It actually seems to be going away very quickly though, and never really made it to the "huge, red, and painful" stage. I was a little worried when it first popped up, but pleasantly surprised that it's already fading. Yay for Spiro!

I've been on Spiro for 8 months now and have had excellent results. A few days ago, I started developing my first cyst under my skin on my chin :( It actually seems to be going away very quickly though, and never really made it to the "huge, red, and painful" stage. I was a little worried when it first popped up, but pleasantly surprised that it's already fading. Yay for Spiro!

Soo, I was wrong. My cyst ended up getting huge, red, and painful :( Yesterday, I messed around with it (I know-- bad idea!) and now I have a big red scabby mark. Gross. I'm hoping the zit is just due to some stress I'm going through right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't happen again for a long long time! Good luck to everyone :)

I had to come back on this link to report in...I AM SO CLEAR AFTER ONLY SEVEN weeks on the Aldactone! (Spiro as it's called here.) Cannot believe it, but saw dermo yesterday and she says it can "kick in" this fast. I thought I had to wait 3 months. Now, I am of course holding my breath because we all know what can happen the minute we celebrate!

On another note, I am just started on a BCP for the first time ever (at age 49) for homone balancing during what must be perimenopause. SO WORRIED that it's going to wreck my newly nice skin!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the Ortho-Tri Cyclen lo. Anyone on that with Aldactone by chance?

How are you Venomous???

I had to come back on this link to report in...I AM SO CLEAR AFTER ONLY SEVEN weeks on the Aldactone! (Spiro as it's called here.) Cannot believe it, but saw dermo yesterday and she says it can "kick in" this fast. I thought I had to wait 3 months. Now, I am of course holding my breath because we all know what can happen the minute we celebrate!

On another note, I am just started on a BCP for the first time ever (at age 49) for homone balancing during what must be perimenopause. SO WORRIED that it's going to wreck my newly nice skin!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the Ortho-Tri Cyclen lo. Anyone on that with Aldactone by chance?

How are you Venomous???

Still going ok, I have gotten 2 smaller zits but I'm cool with it. I've been getting zits on my noce for the past 4 weeks and have NEVER had that before so I don't know what the deal is.

I am finishing my 3rd month on spiro. I have many red marks and healing spots, but I can honestly say that I am zit free for the first time in years. If it stays this way, I will be able to go without makeup in a couple weeks when the red spots are gone. The spots look bad, but thats all they are, spots. My skin doesn't feel like its crawling anymore!

Spiro is a miracle!

I have no side effects at all. No spotting, no long periods. The peeing and thirst thing went away, and my bp is normal!

Cherie

Wow! It gives me so much hope reading all of your posts! Especially Mommy, I just read the post where you say that your skin is totally clear after only 7 weeks on Spiro?? That's great!! You sounded like you were at your wits end before with your skin (that's where I'm at right now!) I just started taking Spiro a week ago and I guess I'm going through that initial breakout period because my skin looks awful. I'm getting zits in places I've never gotten them in my life!--tons along my jaw and neck!! What is that about? Did anyone else experience this type of IB? Also, did anyone experience any kind of an allergic reaction to Spiro? I have a Sulfa allergy so was nervous about taking it but seem OK so far. Any thoughts anyone??

Magnolia,

I broke out bad when I started taking it, but I was also starting retin A micro at the same time.

I broke out really bad. Call your derm and tell him you want to take an antibiotic. I did and got erythromycin. My face feels so much better. It hurt so f'ing bad. Give it time. I didn't see improvements until the middle of my second month.

Cherie

My skin was the worst it ever was (accutane worthy bad) after a few weeks starting spiro. I was so scared and wondered if I was making the biggest mistake of my life. When I first started spiro I broke out heavily in cysts on my forehead and neck, places that are typically clear. It was so terrible that my derm put me on antibiotics that seemed to help a little. My skin started to get better after three months and I stopped taking the antibiotics. It is just after five months now and my skin is very nice....FINALLY! I still deal with breakouts around my chin leading up to my period, but since I started 150mg about 10 days ago it is making a world of difference. Good luck and have patience.