Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
surferdude123

Quit Regimen!! - very interesting results!

hey everyone!

I left a post about a week ago, frustrated because I couldn't seem to get 100% clear. And My skin was RED, FLAKEY and DRY. Despite WHAT moisturizer I used.....including potions, lotions, oils and elxirs, all recommended.

Well saturday evening I decided to quit everything all together. Starting sunday. (yes omg some of you gasp) everything...potions, lotions, creams, gels, elixers, oils. etc.

And today is nearly 1 week later, and I haven't had a single new pimple. (well a couple minor ones, but nothing serious) and the red marks, and forehead acne I was battling has deminished....

I find this very interesting, because my water intake, diet, supplements, and sleeping habits have all remained the same.

Before I quit the regimen I was doing the following.

MORNING

- Shower

- Brush teeth

- Shave

- Cleanse with "Cetaphil "gentle" skin cleanser"

- wait 2 - 3 minutes then apply "1 full finger of BP" and massage "gently" for 2-8 min

- wait 5 - 15 min

- Moisturize with http://www.marcelle.com/English/skinCare/p...&scCat_id=2

Evening

Same thing minus shaving.

and I couldn't seem to get clearer.....doing that, after 2 months.

well NOW since sunday, I do the following.

MORNING

-Shower

-soak entire face for 60 seconds to 2 minutes in warm / hot water

-gently pat until completely dry

-apply the SAME MOISTURIZER as above

http://www.marcelle.com/English/skinCare/p...&scCat_id=2

MID DAY

- Gently wash face with luke warm water with bare hands.

- avoid contact with face whatsoever

EVENING

- soak entire face for 2 minutes in warm / hot water

- gently pat dry

- apply moisturizer

http://www.marcelle.com/English/skinCare/p...&scCat_id=2

Strange results, because I thought perhaps my moisturizer was preventing me from being clear, but now that I look at it...it's all of the crap we're putting on our face that's clogging our pores......

HOW?

READ ON......

FACT

Cetaphil contains emolient alcohols.

Emolient alcohols are acne-genic, and they are irritating. (research conducted via a very renown dermatologist at UCLA Harbor Medical Center)

FACT

Yes, acne is a disorder of the skin. Sebaceous glands to be exact. While "dirt" does not cause "acne", clogged pores DO. and pores get blocked from the top down.

(DESPITE MYTHS STATING THEY DON'T)

The bacteria that causes acne does not grow in environments rich in oxygen.

Benzoyl peroxide is a chemical in the organic peroxide family. It consists of two benzoyl groups (benzaldehyde with the H of CHO removed) joined by a peroxide group which creates oxygen. Thusly why it's theoretically effective in the treatment of acne......because it creates oxygen within the pores, hence why it's "recommended" that we spend 8 minutes "gently" massaging it into our skin each day, twice a day.

Clogged pores inhibit oxygen from reaching the bacteria and thusly killing it.

By naturally opening the pores, and allowing oxygen into them, you are naturally killing p.Acnes. the bacteria that causes acne.

I don't have a cure for acne, but all I know, is that I haven't had a breakout and it's been nearly a week of not doing F*** ALL. to prevent breakouts.....except naturally soaking my skin in hot water, dilating the pores and allowing oxygen inside....and then adding a very small amount of moisturizer as necessary throughout the day.

and some of you might say...well maybe it's only temporary, etc etc.

that's very possible, but I intend to try this idea more than once.

while I understand this might not work for everyone.....it's worth a try. besides it's free.

I don't suggest someone with moderate / severe / or pesky acne try this.....all I'm saying is that I found the results for myself, very interesting!! and it really makes me wonder what really does work for the treatment of acne......of all skin types....because believe me, I've had very pesky mild to moderate inflammatory acne since the age of 14 - 15.

I will continue this technique for a while. Come this sunday, though, I'm going back on the DKR regimen until after June.....but when June rolls around, I will go back to what I've been doing....and continue to periodically post results.......

Anyways, Just thought I'd share my interesting experience the past while without being on the DKR....

I still you gotta stick to what works for you...and if what's working for you....is working, great. otherwise for those of you at your witts end, and are frustrated like I was...

feel free to give it a shot.

Best Wishes.

Robert

1. Many people do not see results on DKR after only 2 months. It took at least 3 for my skin to clear & also to fully adjust to BP & not be dry at all. The fact that your skin is still dry isnt that surprising.

2. I've tried the no product thing when I was fed up in the past. My face just gets taken over with acne within weeks. My skin was oily & waxy, cuz water in itself was not enough. No thanks...

Glad it works for you though (although 1 week is too soon to tell). Possibly you have out grown acne & everything was just irritating your skin.

Whatever you have to say about Cetaphil also, most dermatologists recommend it as a gentle & non-comedogneic cleanser. One research means very little to me.

1. Many people do not see results on DKR after only 2 months. It took at least 3 for my skin to clear & also to fully adjust to BP & not be dry at all. The fact that your skin is still dry isnt that surprising.

2. I've tried the no product thing when I was fed up in the past. My face just gets taken over with acne within weeks. My skin was oily & waxy, cuz water in itself was not enough. No thanks...

Glad it works for you though (although 1 week is too soon to tell). Possibly you have out grown acne & everything was just irritating your skin.

Whatever you have to say about Cetaphil also, most dermatologists recommend it as a gentle & non-comedogneic cleanser. One research means very little to me.

I'm sorry I don't understand-- you say you are quitting all the acne products and just soaking/moisturizing has helped you then why are you going back on CSR until June?

I'm glad you are having the results you are I tried the no products thing as well, for three months, it was the worst my skin ever was oh well.

To be honest, most people who quit the regimen report the same thing for the first couple of weeks--no big breakouts, skin looking great without all the products on it. The kicker is that after 2-4 weeks, your acne usually comes back in full force. This happens pretty consistently with everyone who hasn't grown out of acne when they quit the DKR, so I just wanted to give you a heads up, you're not home free just because you've been relatively clear for a week.

well I guess it was a mistake, because I started breaking out again...but not as bad as usual.

I went off the regimen....because I get tired of flakey excessively dry skin that it causes.

that NO moisturizer seems to cure.......very annoying.

anyways.....that's my update for 05/08/07.

back on the regimen again as of today.

well I guess it was a mistake, because I started breaking out again...but not as bad as usual.

I went off the regimen....because I get tired of flakey excessively dry skin that it causes.

that NO moisturizer seems to cure.......very annoying.

anyways.....that's my update for 05/08/07.

back on the regimen again as of today.

The only thing thats interesting is how somebody can make such claims after only a week, you're just one of thousands of the same old stories I read on here time and time again, making claims about products giving you acne.

Expect your skin to go absolutely insane in about another week.

Whenever I experimented in the past and stopped the Regimen my skin would be amazing for about a week and then go nuts. So I'd not praise the 'all natural' method just yet. Every single one of these stories that I read end up coming back to report their skin has gone radically down hill.

If and when you decide to go back on the Regimen, try a different brand BP, it could be an ingredient that's not agreeing with your skin other than the BP.

The only thing thats interesting is how somebody can make such claims after only a week, you're just one of thousands of the same old stories I read on here time and time again, making claims about products giving you acne.

Expect your skin to go absolutely insane in about another week.

yah it's possibly the Shea Butter in the moisturizer, funny I never noticed that ingredient before, and what's even stranger is that I've been clear with that moisturizer before...

anyways....thanks for everyone's input.

I'll continue to update.

try some AHA for your flakiness it helped a lot with my horrible flaky face

and perhaps jojoba oil others say its great for flaky skin as well

I know you stated that you've "tried everything" for battling flaky skin... but have you really? Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Moisturizer contains a high % of AHA. My skin is INCREDIBLY flaky if i don't use it... and when I do (twice a day), most of the time you can't even tell I have dry skin. It's the only product that i've found to work.

Good luck!

katie

update.

05/10/07

going back on Accutane tuesday.

20mg /day dose.

was last on it......hmm when I was 16 or 17.....

we'll see how this round goes.

hopefully I don't kill myself, have my joints explode, bleed out from the nose, or have my lips chap off...

sorry to make humor.....

but it's pretty pathetic the adverse effects of such a drug..

it's also very annoying having acne. and I'm at my witts end.

I'm 24, I have other things in my life I need to worry about besides my F***king skin.

I just feel bad for everyone with acne really, I mean seriously, I wonder if the government puts chemicals in our foods to give us acne...

*thinks to himself* "damn the side effects have started before, I've ever had my first pill"

haha.

wish me luck please.

I think i'll need it.

I have been on DKR since 2002 and it does work really well. However recently i have only been doing it in the mornings and my skin has stayed quite clear. I have not had any major outbreaks or even tiny spots.

I don't think i have grown out of my acne because i can feel one or two spots below my skin when i apply b.p. I have been thinking about coming of the regimen just to see what happens for a number of reasons.

1) In all honesty this is just a chore for me now. I hate having to treat my face all of the time.

2) Treating acne is an exspensive hobby.

3) I am 23 well past the age of pubity and i would like to think my acne has gone. However i do know that acne isn't selective about age.

4) I am starting to question the products i am using. Can the regimen cause irriataion even if done correctly? I have been doing it a long time now and know what i doing but maybe it could be causing some negitive results.

I am just fed up of treating acne all the time now. It consumes so much time and effort its like i am carrying a massive weight around all day because i am constantly thinking about not touching my face.

Guest WhiteWater
update.

I just feel bad for everyone with acne really, I mean seriously, I wonder if the government puts chemicals in our foods to give us acne...

I have been on all kinds of diets and in my 11 years of having acne diet has never made my acne worse or any better nor does it cause acne.

I will admitt that diet is good for general skin health and complextion but it has little or no effect on acne.

I consume like 5000cals a day for my weight training and i am on a really healthy diet but nothing happens to me acne.

WHEN ii FiiRST STARTED DEALiiNG WiiTH ACNE AR0UND THE 10TH GRADE, MY F0RHEAD WAS REALLY BAD. THEN ii STARTED USiiNG PR0ACTiiVE AND iiT CLEARED EVERYTHiiNG! THEN LiiKE THE DUMMY ii AM ii JUST STOPPED USiiNG iiT! ii TH0UGHT ii WAS CLEAR! YEAH N0! A C0UPLE M0NTHS LATER ii BR0KE 0UT AGAiiN AND C0ULD N0T FiiND ANYTHiiNG T0 HELP! ii STiiLL THiiNK iiF ii HAD C0NTiiNUED USiiNG PR0ACTiiVE iiT W0ULD HAVE ST0PPED W0RKiiNG BECAUSE MY C0USiiN T0LD ME SHE HAS BEEN RELiiGOUS WiiTH iiT F0R A C0UPLE YEARS AND N0W iiTS SL0WLY STARTED T0 ST0P W0RKiiNG. BUT THE REAS0N WHY ii TELL Y0U THiiS iiS BECAUSE ii STiiLL USE THE THiiRD STEP iiN PR0ACTiiVE, REPAiiRiiNG L0Tii0N, AS MY M0iiSTURiiZER. iiT W0RKS GREAT! AND AN0THER PR0DUCT THAT ii ACTUALLY AM BEHiiND 110% iiS BEAUTii C0NTR0L. ii AM ACTUALLY A C0NSULTANT F0R THAT LiiNE. ii HAD A FRiiEND WH0 HAD CYSTiiC ACNE MATCHED WiiTH MAJ0R iiNDENTS AND MARKS 0N HER SKiiN. SHE BATTLED WiiTH iiT F0R MANY MANY YEARS TRYiiNG EVERYTHiiNG SHE C0ULD. 0NE DAY A LADY iiNTR0DUCED HER T0 BEAUTii C0NTR0L AND FR0M THERE 0N Y0U C0ULDNT REC0GNiiZE HER. ii MEAN THE RESULTS WERE iiNCREDiiABLE. iiF Y0U WANT T0 STiiCK T0 DKR BUT NEED A MOiiSTURiiZER LET ME KN0W. THAT iiS WHAT ii WiiLL D0 0NCE ii RUN 0UT 0F MY REPAiiRiiNG LOTiiON. ALS0 THERE AT H0ME MiiCR0DERM KiiT iiS REALLY SOFT AND CAN GET RiiD 0F RED MARKS BY ATLEAST 50%! S0 G00D LUCK T0 ALL!

THE LiiNE Y0U WANT T0 USE FR0M BEUTii C0NTR0L iiS THE ALL CLEAR.

THE EXF0LiIAT0R WHiiCH iiS CALLED SKiiN SCRUB iiS REALLY G00D AS WELL. 0NCE Y0UR ACTiiVE ACNE iiS G0NE THAT iiS :comfort:

HERE iiS THE WEBSiiTE:

*mod edited, linking/advertising other website's is not allowed*

Y0U WANT T0 CLiiCK 0N SPA QUALiiTY PRODUCTS, THEN KEEP CLiiCKiiNG C0NTiiNUE FOUR TiiMES, THEN CLiiCK T0 ViiEW M0RE BATH, B0DY AND FRAGRENCE SH0P N0W, FR0M THERE THEY WiiLL ASK Y0U TW0 QUESTii0NS JUST ANSWER N0 T0 B0TH AND iiT WiiLL TAKE Y0U T0 THE PR00DUCTS. iiTS 0N THE LEFT HAND SiiDE WHERE Y0U CLiiCK SKiiN CARE AND ACNE-PR0NE. iiT WiiLL PULL UP THE ALL CLEAR LiiNE.

WHEN ii FiiRST STARTED DEALiiNG WiiTH ACNE AR0UND THE 10TH GRADE, MY F0RHEAD WAS REALLY BAD. THEN ii STARTED USiiNG PR0ACTiiVE AND iiT CLEARED EVERYTHiiNG! THEN LiiKE THE DUMMY ii AM ii JUST STOPPED USiiNG iiT! ii TH0UGHT ii WAS CLEAR! YEAH N0! A C0UPLE M0NTHS LATER ii BR0KE 0UT AGAiiN AND C0ULD N0T FiiND ANYTHiiNG T0 HELP! ii STiiLL THiiNK iiF ii HAD C0NTiiNUED USiiNG PR0ACTiiVE iiT W0ULD HAVE ST0PPED W0RKiiNG BECAUSE MY C0USiiN T0LD ME SHE HAS BEEN RELiiGOUS WiiTH iiT F0R A C0UPLE YEARS AND N0W iiTS SL0WLY STARTED T0 ST0P W0RKiiNG. BUT THE REAS0N WHY ii TELL Y0U THiiS iiS BECAUSE ii STiiLL USE THE THiiRD STEP iiN PR0ACTiiVE, REPAiiRiiNG L0Tii0N, AS MY M0iiSTURiiZER. iiT W0RKS GREAT! AND AN0THER PR0DUCT THAT ii ACTUALLY AM BEHiiND 110% iiS BEAUTii C0NTR0L. ii AM ACTUALLY A C0NSULTANT F0R THAT LiiNE. ii HAD A FRiiEND WH0 HAD CYSTiiC ACNE MATCHED WiiTH MAJ0R iiNDENTS AND MARKS 0N HER SKiiN. SHE BATTLED WiiTH iiT F0R MANY MANY YEARS TRYiiNG EVERYTHiiNG SHE C0ULD. 0NE DAY A LADY iiNTR0DUCED HER T0 BEAUTii C0NTR0L AND FR0M THERE 0N Y0U C0ULDNT REC0GNiiZE HER. ii MEAN THE RESULTS WERE iiNCREDiiABLE. iiF Y0U WANT T0 STiiCK T0 DKR BUT NEED A MOiiSTURiiZER LET ME KN0W. THAT iiS WHAT ii WiiLL D0 0NCE ii RUN 0UT 0F MY REPAiiRiiNG LOTiiON. ALS0 THERE AT H0ME MiiCR0DERM KiiT iiS REALLY SOFT AND CAN GET RiiD 0F RED MARKS BY ATLEAST 50%! S0 G00D LUCK T0 ALL!

THE LiiNE Y0U WANT T0 USE FR0M BEUTii C0NTR0L iiS THE ALL CLEAR.

THE EXF0LiIAT0R WHiiCH iiS CALLED SKiiN SCRUB iiS REALLY G00D AS WELL. 0NCE Y0UR ACTiiVE ACNE iiS G0NE THAT iiS :comfort:

HERE iiS THE WEBSiiTE:

*mod edit*

Wow. Just... wow. Anyone who posts like that needs to be banished from the Internet. :confused:

I find there is a time-lag effect with Benzoyl Peroxide application, i.e. failing to apply it will result in any negative implications for skin occuring after some period (approximately a week I'd wager). Intuitively this does make sense - acne infections take time to inflame from within the pores. This explains why initially there would seem to initially be no apparent problem, but it is quite possible that new spots are "brewing" so to speak.

I tried the same thing you did, stopped everything and did the "dip" method. At first, I had amazing results....and no new zits (which was the main thing I was happy about).

However, after about a week or two I had massive breakouts without any sign of them stopping. I gave up on it. Not going to sit around and wait while my skin destroys itself (I am highly susceptible to scarring from acne).

yah that post was really hard to understand...

sorry I couldn't..../ didn't even attempt it.

haha

yah I know going on accutane for mild / moderate inflammatory acne is probably a "big gun" approach....

but as with everyone else, that I've been reading....I'm at my witts end.....fed up with it.

period.

the DKR works. I know it does. I've been on it since 2004. and I support everyone in this community 100%....

but I'm tired of buying creams, fighting with oils, potions, lotions, and elixers.

as the dude above me mentioned....at 23....24....30....we shouldn't have to be fighting acne...it's rediculous.

I mean during puberty with hormones and such, a few pimples is expected....I'm not disputing that...

what I am disputing and sick of....is acne.....bad skin. period.

and I share everyone's frustration.....believe me.

For anyone reading this....yes the DKR works well, I think, but for mild to slightly moderate acne that's easily controlled / managed.

my acne has changed....it doesn't seem to be managable anymore..

hence I went to my doctor yesterday.....and was like....look

this is where I'm at.

she's like ok....and now I'm back on ROUND 2. of accutane.....

I might even stay on accutane permenantly at a low micro dose.

we'll see.

Our modern diet, high and dense in calories is responsible for our tallness and muscularity, but also for tooth decay, diabetes and acne.

Reduction in calories does help tooth decay, diabetes and acne, but for many of us that is very difficult, especially as the whole modern social system revolves around dining and drinking.

Just as we need to brush our teeth each day more and more of us need some skin care routine to take care of our high testosterone levels and bacterial proliferation. Acne is increasing in the population, modern day stress is a factor in acne as depression and anxiety are overtaking heart disease as the number one affliction.

If you suffer from periodontal disease as I do and dont brush/floss your teeth, they will get worse and basically fall out. If you suffer from acne and stop using BP, it will get worse.

Got off the regime. Never seen my skin this clear in my life.

I wash quickly and gently twice a day with warm water followed by a cold rinse. Moisturize just a bit with complex15 and jojoba oil. Thats it.

Obviously there are many other factors but that has been the biggest one to effect my face.

no sh*t?

I tried that for a couple weeks and my face started to break out.....

and I've also read research stating some individuals are even going on LONG TERM microdoses of accutane for 1-2 years....until their pores and skin are properly functioning.

I know the side effects of accutane are sht*ty but seriously.....what choices do any of us have?

hey has anyone heard of this VICHY NormaDerm cream?

what's it like?

I tried every single lotion, potion, treatment other than accutane and the best I found was DKR. But I didn't wanna spend the rest of my life on DKR. So I decided accutane was for me. I'm 27.

Many of you will grow out of acne and you won't need to burden your body with accutane.