Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sarrasarra

antibiotics with birth control pills for acne

Hi All,

I just found this board recently, and I was wondering if there are people here that take both antibotics and BC pills for acne? I read somewhere that antibiotics can decrease the effect of BC pills. Does that mean that it affects BC's effect on controlling acne? I'm only taking Yasmin to help with my acne. If taking antibiotics affect Yasmin, does that mean that Yasmin would help with my acne better if I didn't take the antibiotics?

bakgroung info:I started doxycycline a few months ago, but havne't noticed anything significantly improved, so I asked my doctor for Yasmin. She didn't say anytning about taking the two together, and frankly, I don't think she took the time to answer my questions or pay attention to my concerns.

Would really appreciate your feedback here !! thanks in advance

Sarra

Yes, I have taken both together, however, not long enough to see any effect. Basically, your antibiotics will reduce the effectiveness of the birth control pills. So, you are right. However, brith control pills will take around 2 - 3 months to take effect. Therefore, my GP asked me to take the antibiotics for the first few months, before stopping it completely. If I am not mistaken, you will get the initial breakout with BCPs as well. Therefore, the antibiotics should help initially.