Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_Andy_

The answers I got from my doctor about hair loss

Recommended Posts

To the people who are experiening noticable hair loss, what dose are/were you taking?

60mg a day for 5 months. I weigh(ed) about 160 lbs. Hair loss began at the end of the 5th month.

Has your hairloss still haulted mate? have you seen much in the way of regrowth?

My hair loss is no more. I lose at the worst 15 hairs a day. But no regrowth yet. I am really, really afraid. Is it a bad sign that the hair loss stopped, but without regrowth?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say so no... How long have you been off tane? because remember for regrowth you need to wait a good few months after it is completely out of your system which takes 2 months post accutane. So your looking at 4-6 months post accutane for any regrowth...

Even then though i have read many stories where re growth didn't become apparent till 9 months after the initial shed so... there is still every chance your hair will go back to normal mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I wouldn't say so no... How long have you been off tane? because remember for regrowth you need to wait a good few months after it is completely out of your system which takes 2 months post accutane. So your looking at 4-6 months post accutane for any regrowth...

Even then though i have read many stories where re growth didn't become apparent till 9 months after the initial shed so... there is still every chance your hair will go back to normal mate.

Yeah, man, I hope so. Today has been rough. I've been really flipping out about this.

It's 2 months for the Accutane to leave one's system + 100 days of the telogen phase. If that's really the case, I have 20 days to go. That'd be such a miracle.

Obviously, that will not be the case. I got to wait. I know I do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean you can simply look at that site, there is one person posting about their hairloss from a diet lacking protein...

"I'm only 20 years old. Both sides of my family have there hair so I know it's not genetic. It says when hair falls out; it is a sign of re-growth. But I don't see any new hairs really. It's coming up to the 6 month mark this month. So hopefully in the next 3 or so months I will see some changes because it's getting very irritating and no lie, it sucks. If anyone knows any more info about this, I would appreciate talking to someone."

We are all still going through standard TE, and there will be months of waiting yet unfortunately. When it stops though, you are half way there!!!

Edited by Ishayat
Fixed broken characters
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if any of you are interested, but this is one of the many things i have been taking in the hope of giving my hair the best chance... give this a quick read:

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

Ive been on grape seed extract for a few weeks now, i also take 3g biotin a day, fish oils, zinc, b complex and vitamin c.

I mean it could be doing shit all but, i don't see any harm, so long as i dont go mad with the doses...

I can definenetly see some re growth now, nothing MAJOR, but obviously better than nothing...

Edited by Ishayat
Edited links out - link were broken
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most important ones in my opinoin to achieve an increase of hairs in anagen stage is the grape seed and fish oils, both show real promise in doing this. So for us i think those will be useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the thing you guys fail to take into account is that accutane hair loss isn't just standard TE there's something different about how the retinoids affect the hair follicles. my guess is that accutane just really damages them and it depends on some people the amount of damage that takes place. some people have a small amount where they lose hair and some comes back etc while others continute to lose their hair. i'm over 4 months off a 6 month course of 20mg the first two months and then 40mg the rest of the course. i'm for accutane if someone needs it and thats what they want to do, but my hair is a mess plus i have some other side effects too so i consider it one of the worst decisions of my life. right no 4 months off still losing around 30-40 hairs a day and it is starting to become noticeable. the diffuse patch at the top of my head i've been using toppik to cover and my front hair is coming out more and more now. i really don't see how this is going to stop anytime soon. i really don't want to but sometime within the next month or so my days with hair are over and i'm buzzin it off like i said before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You really aren't of any help are you ithappens? i haven't seen one thing encouraging or helpfull towards anyone, including yourself...Hurry up and buzz it off if your going to, if not then shut up...

Link to post
Share on other sites
lamarr1986 said:
Don't know if any of you are interested, but this is one of the many things i have been taking in the hope of giving my hair the best chance... give this a quick read:

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

Ive been on grape seed extract for a few weeks now, i also take 3g biotin a day, fish oils, zinc, b complex and vitamin c.

I mean it could be doing shit all but, i don't see any harm, so long as i dont go mad with the doses...

I can definenetly see some re growth now, nothing MAJOR, but obviously better than nothing...

Lamarr,

Where do you see regrowth? On what part of your head? What kind of regrowth is it?

Also, remind me how long it's been since you lost the hair?

Edited by Ishayat
Edited links out - link were broken
Link to post
Share on other sites

I took accutane when i was 17. A month after stopping the treatment, my hair started shedding like crazy. It happened so fast that six months later i had lost well over 50% of my hair diffusly over my scalp, but worse on the top of my head and especially the temple region.

I am now 23, and my hair loss has continued to this day. I still shed a rediculous ammount of hair. My hair has continued to thin, but admittedly not as fast as it did in the first year after accutane. I have been on propecia and minoxidil for 4 years, and this may have contributed to the slowness of my loss over this period. I still have full coverage, howeever my hair is SO so thin its not even funy..

This has basically ruined my life. I can't accept it and get over it, no matter how hard i try.

p.s. i have absolutely no history of baldness on either side of my family, and no other health issues. accutane is 100% the cause or trigger of my hair loss...

If you guys have any questions or whatever i'd be happy to respond.. i've spent 5 years researching the topic, reading thousands of peoples posts and experiences from various websites and discussion forums..

Link to post
Share on other sites
I took accutane when i was 17. A month after stopping the treatment, my hair started shedding like crazy. It happened so fast that six months later i had lost well over 50% of my hair diffusly over my scalp, but worse on the top of my head and especially the temple region.

I am now 23, and my hair loss has continued to this day. I still shed a rediculous ammount of hair. My hair has continued to thin, but admittedly not as fast as it did in the first year after accutane. I have been on propecia and minoxidil for 4 years, and this may have contributed to the slowness of my loss over this period. I still have full coverage, howeever my hair is SO so thin its not even funy..

This has basically ruined my life. I can't accept it and get over it, no matter how hard i try.

p.s. i have absolutely no history of baldness on either side of my family, and no other health issues. accutane is 100% the cause or trigger of my hair loss...

If you guys have any questions or whatever i'd be happy to respond.. i've spent 5 years researching the topic, reading thousands of peoples posts and experiences from various websites and discussion forums..

How long did you take the Accutane and at what dosage? How many courses of Accutane did you take?

Link to post
Share on other sites
julius said:
I took accutane when i was 17. A month after stopping the treatment, my hair started shedding like crazy. It happened so fast that six months later i had lost well over 50% of my hair diffusly over my scalp, but worse on the top of my head and especially the temple region.

I am now 23, and my hair loss has continued to this day. I still shed a rediculous ammount of hair. My hair has continued to thin, but admittedly not as fast as it did in the first year after accutane. I have been on propecia and minoxidil for 4 years, and this may have contributed to the slowness of my loss over this period. I still have full coverage, howeever my hair is SO so thin its not even funy..

This has basically ruined my life. I can't accept it and get over it, no matter how hard i try.

p.s. i have absolutely no history of baldness on either side of my family, and no other health issues. accutane is 100% the cause or trigger of my hair loss...

If you guys have any questions or whatever i'd be happy to respond.. i've spent 5 years researching the topic, reading thousands of peoples posts and experiences from various websites and discussion forums..

Not calling you a liar for a second, but seen's as i kind of flamed ithappens, are you sure your not him? Seem's very funny you joined today, anyway if it is true then im sorry for you, if not then ithappens, you really need to sort it out, scare mongering is pathetic.

MyPoorHair said:
lamarr1986 said:
Don't know if any of you are interested, but this is one of the many things i have been taking in the hope of giving my hair the best chance... give this a quick read:

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

Ive been on grape seed extract for a few weeks now, i also take 3g biotin a day, fish oils, zinc, b complex and vitamin c.

I mean it could be doing shit all but, i don't see any harm, so long as i dont go mad with the doses...

I can definenetly see some re growth now, nothing MAJOR, but obviously better than nothing...

Lamarr,

Where do you see regrowth? On what part of your head? What kind of regrowth is it?

Also, remind me how long it's been since you lost the hair?

All along my hairline, hairs about 0.5- 1 cm long, not quite as thick as the rest of my hairs but all pigmented and there are some which have good thickness, i have been shedding for 5 weeks....

Edited by Ishayat
Edited links out - link were broken
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamarr1986 said:
julius said:
I took accutane when i was 17. A month after stopping the treatment, my hair started shedding like crazy. It happened so fast that six months later i had lost well over 50% of my hair diffusly over my scalp, but worse on the top of my head and especially the temple region.

I am now 23, and my hair loss has continued to this day. I still shed a rediculous ammount of hair. My hair has continued to thin, but admittedly not as fast as it did in the first year after accutane. I have been on propecia and minoxidil for 4 years, and this may have contributed to the slowness of my loss over this period. I still have full coverage, howeever my hair is SO so thin its not even funy..

This has basically ruined my life. I can't accept it and get over it, no matter how hard i try.

p.s. i have absolutely no history of baldness on either side of my family, and no other health issues. accutane is 100% the cause or trigger of my hair loss...

If you guys have any questions or whatever i'd be happy to respond.. i've spent 5 years researching the topic, reading thousands of peoples posts and experiences from various websites and discussion forums..

Not calling you a liar for a second, but seen's as i kind of flamed ithappens, are you sure your not him? Seem's very funny you joined today, anyway if it is true then im sorry for you, if not then ithappens, you really need to sort it out, scare mongering is pathetic.

MyPoorHair said:
lamarr1986 said:
Don't know if any of you are interested, but this is one of the many things i have been taking in the hope of giving my hair the best chance... give this a quick read:

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

Ive been on grape seed extract for a few weeks now, i also take 3g biotin a day, fish oils, zinc, b complex and vitamin c.

I mean it could be doing shit all but, i don't see any harm, so long as i dont go mad with the doses...

I can definenetly see some re growth now, nothing MAJOR, but obviously better than nothing...

Lamarr,

Where do you see regrowth? On what part of your head? What kind of regrowth is it?

Also, remind me how long it's been since you lost the hair?

All along my hairline, hairs about 1 cm long, not quite as thick as the rest of my hairs but all pigmented and there are some which have good thickness....

Julius copied and pasted from Chris on [Edited link out]

Unless Julius is Chris.

Edited by Ishayat
Edited links out - links were broken
Link to post
Share on other sites

Julius is chris (my middle name, chris was taken on this site).

I regularily check for acitvity on the topic of accutane hair loss on a variety of forums, and the recent activity on this thread caused me to sign up so i could give you guys a perspective from a long term sufferer...

not associated with ithappens at all and wasnt really aware that he was being flamed. get the mods to compare ip addresses if u like (im from australia btw)... anyways i feel kinda stupid for having to defend myself over this issue

Hmmmm, just seems very wierd 8 hours after flameing ithappens, this is posted on a new forum account. Anyway whatever...

Link to post
Share on other sites

As i said, i appologise if your not him and yeah i have requested for a mod to do that...

Julius is chris (my middle name, chris was taken on this site).

I regularily check for acitvity on the topic of accutane hair loss on a variety of forums, and the recent activity on this thread caused me to sign up so i could give you guys a perspective from a long term sufferer...

not associated with ithappens at all and wasnt really aware that he was being flamed. get the mods to compare ip addresses if u like (im from australia btw)... anyways i feel kinda stupid for having to defend myself over this issue

Hmmmm, just seems very wierd 8 hours after flameing ithappens, this is posted on a new forum account. Anyway whatever...

As mypoorhair says: How long did you take the Accutane and at what dosage? How many courses of Accutane did you take?

Link to post
Share on other sites
To the people who are experiening noticable hair loss, what dose are/were you taking?

60mg a day for 5 months. I weigh(ed) about 160 lbs. Hair loss began at the end of the 5th month.

Thanks. I asked about dosage because if im considering going on it it'd be like 20mg or 30mg but it seems hair loss can happen whatever the dose from what i've read thus far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 mg/day for 1 month

40 mg/day for 3 months

60 mg/day for the last month

just the one course, ending october 2001.

I weighed around 160 pounds and was around 5'11" at that stage.

As i said, i appologise if your not him and yeah i have requested for a mod to do that...

Julius is chris (my middle name, chris was taken on this site).

I regularily check for acitvity on the topic of accutane hair loss on a variety of forums, and the recent activity on this thread caused me to sign up so i could give you guys a perspective from a long term sufferer...

not associated with ithappens at all and wasnt really aware that he was being flamed. get the mods to compare ip addresses if u like (im from australia btw)... anyways i feel kinda stupid for having to defend myself over this issue

Hmmmm, just seems very wierd 8 hours after flameing ithappens, this is posted on a new forum account. Anyway whatever...

As mypoorhair says: How long did you take the Accutane and at what dosage? How many courses of Accutane did you take?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it doesn't look good for me then, i did 19 weeks on tane, then 5 weeks after finishing (so same as one month after for you) my hair started pissing out. Do you ever see much in the way of regrowth? and has it ever slowed down a great deal and then picked up again? or has it remained fairly consistant?

Link to post
Share on other sites

julius pay lamar no mind he is as scared and frusturated as the rest of us and when i come on every few days and post my updates on how my hair loss is going he becomes mad at me because i have nothing positive to post. i guess he isn't satisfied with me telling the truth about my experience and wants me to lie about how things with my hair are going. and the fact that he spends his time on here trying to figure out if i am really you and makes you defend yourself shows how pathetic he really is. anyway, enough about that. your situation sounds very much similar to my own. i was on a 6 month course of accutane 20mg the first two months and then 40mg the rest. anyway towards the last month of treatment and then once off it my hair started shedding like crazy and while slower slower than before around 20-40 hairs a day compared to the 100 that was going on a couple months ago. yea i've noticed major loss along my temples and now the top part of my hair is rapidly diffusing. i too have lost 50-60% of my hair over the past 4-5 months. the thing is i had so much to begin with that while it still looks bad it isn't as bad as i guess it would be for someone with thinner hair already. a couple questions for you what's your loss like now on the propecia and rogaine and all? do you think that if i go on propecia now it may help to slow the loss or prevent it because i have heard of some accutane hair loss victims recovering by using it? also did the whole texture of your hair change from thick and strong to thin weak and curly with weird wirery strands everywhere because that's what happened with me. also as i have said before i haven't really seen any conclusive posts where people with hair loss like us recovered at least not from guys really, granted i have seen a couple, but no where near the stories of long term loss. and to lamar while my hair loss is upseting to me because of how bad it is i am starting to accept the fact that it very well is what it is, maybe one day you can do the same instead of flaming me when i'm just simply trying to share my experience with everyone. yea so big deal it isn't positive guess what LIFE ISNT ALWAYS POSITIVE turn on the fuckin news for fuck sakes. anyway julius any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated.

Julius is chris (my middle name, chris was taken on this site).

I regularily check for acitvity on the topic of accutane hair loss on a variety of forums, and the recent activity on this thread caused me to sign up so i could give you guys a perspective from a long term sufferer...

not associated with ithappens at all and wasnt really aware that he was being flamed. get the mods to compare ip addresses if u like (im from australia btw)... anyways i feel kinda stupid for having to defend myself over this issue

Hmmmm, just seems very wierd 8 hours after flameing ithappens, this is posted on a new forum account. Anyway whatever...

Link to post
Share on other sites

"still losing around 30-40 hairs a day "

Losing up to and even over 100 hairs a day can be completely normal. Julius, it sounds like u may have chronic TE. Have u been to doctors or dermatologists about it? If so what did they say?

ithappens- I think the main problem people have with your posts is you often spout off random numbers and false statistics as if they are concrete facts. You seem like a very intelligent guy and are probably freaked out(very understandable), but realize this happens to seemingly quite a few people who recover 100%. I dunno if you just havent read up much on TE but it can take 6-12 months to recover. Your not even at 6 months so dont give up hope just yet. Also im sure i speak for everyone when i say id love to see pictures. This isnt because i dont believe you or think your exagerating, i would just like to see how much it has changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

popeye io understand and i have been meaning to post pictures for quite some time. my hair right now is not at the point where someone will look at me and immedietly notice that i'm thinning or anything, granted they notice how unhealthy and weird it looks from a texture standpoint but the thing is compared to what it used to be there is no doubt in my mind that i have lost at the very least 50% of my hair. they say that once you're hair is noticeably thinner than it used to be that you've lost 50% so i can assume at least that. anyway, i promise and have been meaning to for a long time that i will post pictures. the thing is i can show you my hair now and photograph in detail everything that's wrong with it, but it wil be hard to get a good before pic as obviously i never took a close up picture of my hair etc before all this, but i will do my best with it when i post it.

"still losing around 30-40 hairs a day "

Losing up to and even over 100 hairs a day can be completely normal. Julius, it sounds like u may have chronic TE. Have u been to doctors or dermatologists about it? If so what did they say?

ithappens- I think the main problem people have with your posts is you often spout off random numbers and false statistics as if they are concrete facts. You seem like a very intelligent guy and are probably freaked out(very understandable), but realize this happens to seemingly quite a few people who recover 100%. I dunno if you just havent read up much on TE but it can take 6-12 months to recover. Your not even at 6 months so dont give up hope just yet. Also im sure i speak for everyone when i say id love to see pictures. This isnt because i dont believe you or think your exagerating, i would just like to see how much it has changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the loss i experienced in the first 12 months was by far the most severe. If it had continued at that rate i would have been bald before reaching 2 years..

Whilst I have continued to shed rediculous amounts of hair every day since, the effect on my hair has DEFINATELY not been as bad as it was in the first year. Cosmetically, my hair has only gradually deteriorated since the first year post accutane. There was a year or so in the middle there that i actually didnt think about it too much becasue i thought it had pretty much reached a stable level and was not going to get worse..

However, recently, it has become very obvious that it has continued to get worse gradually.. My left temple (which was no where near as bad as my right temple) has slowly started to catch up.

I do notice heaps of regrowth (unless it is actual hairs dying) along my hair line, but they seem to shed as well and are by no means keeping up with the rate i lose them.

Its hard to say whether propecia and minoxidil have helped me, but Im pretty much stuck on them now out of fear that they have contributed to slowing the loss and if i go off them my condition will worsen quickly.

I have seen a few posts of people recovering from accutane hair loss, even after 10 years or so.. there was one just recently where a bloke who lost his hair to accutane 10 years prior recovered his hair to the state it was at 18 by using propecia and minox... i'll dig up the link for you guys when i have a bit more time... its a shame it didnt have the same effect on me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys i thought i would take a few photos of my hair to give you some persepctive on my current situation.. I took these photos after i had applied product (v05 fibre rework putty) before i went out tonight... this product sorta makes my hair look a little better than usual, but probably makes my hairline look worse... anyway here are the pics after six years of accutane hair loss.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/ju...01/DSC00918.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/ju...01/DSC00914.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/ju...01/DSC00913.jpg

i can take some pictures when my hair is wet or something to really show the devestation if you guys wanna see that.

I have one request to everyone... all people suffering from accutane hair loss, can you please try and be active on as many forums as possible regarding your situation.. it seems that internet activity of the subject has died off compared to what it used to be becasue some of hte popular forums have shut down or become less accessible.. we need to get the topic out there so people that are suffering from it can interact... i hate the thought of people just dismissing their hair loss as being caused by other reasons when accutane is to blame...

what really distrubs me is how people that used to post (im talking years ago, like in 2002) just stop posting after a while... is it becasue they give up ? or do they get better? who knows..

anyways i said i would post a link to the positive story i came accross in the last couple of days of someone making a recovery after years of accutane hair loss... here it is

[Edited link out]

read down until you see the post by "drstevil"

i also found some links to a few old message boards where accutane hair loss was discussed heaps...

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

there the only two links i could find from those forums... note that the first one is forum 2 , and the last one is forum 9... all the ones in between were FILLED with the same talk about accutane hair loss.. let me know if ur able to dig them up. might have to use wayback engine or something

Edited by Ishayat
Edited links out - links were broken
Link to post
Share on other sites
julius said:
Hey guys i thought i would take a few photos of my hair to give you some persepctive on my current situation.. I took these photos after i had applied product (v05 fibre rework putty) before i went out tonight... this product sorta makes my hair look a little better than usual, but probably makes my hairline look worse... anyway here are the pics after six years of accutane hair loss.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/ju...01/DSC00918.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/ju...01/DSC00914.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa29/ju...01/DSC00913.jpg

i can take some pictures when my hair is wet or something to really show the devestation if you guys wanna see that.

I have one request to everyone... all people suffering from accutane hair loss, can you please try and be active on as many forums as possible regarding your situation.. it seems that internet activity of the subject has died off compared to what it used to be becasue some of hte popular forums have shut down or become less accessible.. we need to get the topic out there so people that are suffering from it can interact... i hate the thought of people just dismissing their hair loss as being caused by other reasons when accutane is to blame...

what really distrubs me is how people that used to post (im talking years ago, like in 2002) just stop posting after a while... is it becasue they give up ? or do they get better? who knows..

anyways i said i would post a link to the positive story i came accross in the last couple of days of someone making a recovery after years of accutane hair loss... here it is

[Edited link out]

read down until you see the post by "drstevil"

i also found some links to a few old message boards where accutane hair loss was discussed heaps...

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

there the only two links i could find from those forums... note that the first one is forum 2 , and the last one is forum 9... all the ones in between were FILLED with the same talk about accutane hair loss.. let me know if ur able to dig them up. might have to use wayback engine or something

Julius:

A few questions for you:

1. Is the color of the skin where you lost the hair the same color as the skin on your face?

2. What did your doctor(s) have to say about the hair loss?

3. Did you ever stop shedding?

4. When you did shed, how much did you shed in one day?

5. While on Accutane, do you remember blushing more easily than usual?

Your answers are appreciated.

Edited by Ishayat
Edited links out - links were broken
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×