Notifications
Clear all

The answers I got from my doctor about hair loss

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:34 pm

I went to my doctor today with a printed list of questions about Accutane hair loss. Here they are, with the answers in bold.

How does Accutane cause hair loss? What is the cause of TE? Lack of sebum? Damage to the hair follicles (interruption of keratinization)?

Hair follicles are not damaged. A change to certain chemical receptors - none related to hair loss - makes them more responsive, and this causes a "shock" to the body. Lack of sebum is also a factor.

How long does hypervitaminosis A last? In other words, how long does the excess vitamin A remain in my body? Does eating foods containing vitamin A prolong the hypervitaminosis?

2 months. Eating foods with vitamin A does not make a significant difference. To that point, women are allowed to get pregnant six months after Accutane.

Does Accutane decrease the amount of biotin produced by the liver? If so, do biotin supplements help?

Possibly. I was advised to take mega-doses (2.5mg) of biotin. She also recommended protein drinks!

In general, does Accutane accelerate MPB? Is miniaturization a function of time or of physical cycles?

Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age.

My hairs are fine all over my head, not just on my crown. To what extent does Accutane miniaturize hair follicles? What about "hair abnormalities"?

No clear answer. "Hair abnormalities" does not specifically refer to anything.

Explain in general the relationship between Accutane hair loss and MPB.

By shedding anagen hairs originally destined to remain in the head for 2 to 6 years, one begins growing new hair that is affected by MPB. In other words, by shedding hair through telogen effluvium, one's hair jumps forward to a cycle affected by MPB.

How many patients have you seen recover from Accutane hair loss?

All of them. She has had only six patients out of hundreds lose hair.

In terms of months, what is the shortest and longest amount of time of recovery?

Shortest amount of time: 6 months. Longest: 8 months.

My scalp is itchy and flaky. Why?

Dandruff! Caused by Accutane dryness. She recommended anti-dandruff shampoo.

My face has become slightly more oily recently. Does the extra oil indicate the effects of Accutane are wearing off? If so, is this the initial sign of hair recovery?

Yes!

My nails have pits on their surface. Could this be alopecia areata?

No.

So: The hair should grow back. Guys with hair loss in pattern areas might be predestined to suffer MPB, but not necessarily. If MPB concerns you, as it does me, Propecia and Rogaine are the treatment options. I urge men to investigate Propecia's side effects: not only impotence, but possible breast enlargement [!] and changes to the shape of one's penis [!!]. My doctor said that none of her many patients on Propecia have suffered these side effects, and that the drug is a really safe one.

Yeah. Like Accutane was safe.

Hope this helped!

Flaxen liked
MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:53 pm

I went to my doctor today with a printed list of questions about Accutane hair loss. Here they are, with the answers in bold.

How does Accutane cause hair loss? What is the cause of TE? Lack of sebum? Damage to the hair follicles (interruption of keratinization)?

Hair follicles are not damaged. A change to certain chemical receptors - none related to hair loss - are made more responsive, and this causes a "shock" to the body. Lack of sebum is also a factor.

How long does hypervitaminosis A last? In other words, how long does the excess vitamin A remain in my body? Does eating foods containing vitamin A prolong the hypervitaminosis?

2 months. Eating foods with vitamin A does not make a significant difference.

Does Accutane decrease the amount of biotin produced by the liver? If so, do biotin supplements help?

Possibly. I was advised to take mega-doses (2.5mg) of biotin. She also recommended protein drinks!

In general, does Accutane accelerate MPB? Is miniaturization a function of time or of physical cycles?

Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age.

My hairs are fine all over my head, not just on my crown. To what extent does Accutane miniaturize hair follicles? What about ‚Å“hair abnormalities‚?

By shedding anagen hairs originally destined to remain in the head for 2 to 6 years, one begins growing new hair that is affected by MPB. In other words, by shedding hair through telogen effluvium, one's hair jumps forward to a cycle affected by MPB.

All of them. She has had six patients out of hundreds had hair loss.

In terms of months, what is the shortest and longest amount of time of recovery?

My face has become more oily recently. Does the extra oil indicate the effects of Accutane are wearing off? If so, is this the initial sign of hair recovery?

Yes!

No.

So: Guys with hair loss in pattern areas are predestined to suffer MPB. If it concerns you, as it does me, Propecia and Rogaine are the treatment options. I urge men to investigate Propecia's side effects: not only impotence, but possible breast enlargement [!] and changes to the shape of one's penis [!!]. My doctor said that none of her many patients on Propecia have suffered these side effects, and that the drug is a really safe one.

Hope this helped!

I barely lose any hair any other place than near my bangs and the area covering my ears :( I hope that's not alopecia.

MemberMember
(@davidhatesacne)

Posted : 05/04/2007 1:17 am

i haven't lost a specific amount of hair in the areas known for male pattern baldness. most of it is diffused and all around thinner. maybe i'm one of the lucky ones?

so wouldn't this mean that accutane just speeds up the MPB in those certain hairs? meaning that, male pattern baldness is only still going to happen later down the line, but the hairs that were lost will only grow back through MPB in 6-8 years when the new hair grows in? i don't know if i'm making my point clear, but give me your opnion

also, i've noticed at my hair line there are hairs up and down the whole hair line from ear to ear that are from a few millimeters long to a centimeter or so. is this the new growth of hair i've lost or is this normal?

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 05/04/2007 1:48 am

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will help some people.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/04/2007 3:38 am

what i don't get is how your derm can say that people recovered from accutane hair loss when most likely we are now being affected by MPB because of it, hence no we didn't recover and we never will recover. This makes sense to me my hair loss has been massive and all over the strange thing is is that all my hairs have become finer and not just in the MPB areas. But the MPB areas such as the crown and temples have been the hardest hit so i guess i'm screwed. i have diffuse thinning all over and my hair is like complete shit. The thing i don't get is that my derm said from testosterone levels he doen't think i have MPB. i dunno this is too much i dunno what is what anymore and it's driving me insane.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/04/2007 8:33 am

I realized during my morning commute that I had emphasized MPB too much in my post. Let me clarify:

My doctor thinks I have MPB because the hairs I have - i.e., the ones I didn't lose - are slightly - only slightly - miniaturized. Moreover, I lost hair on the top of my head, and only a little on the sides of my head. The diagnosis of my MPB, however, is not certain - especially because the hairs on the sides of my head are as fine as the ones on top. But it is likely that I have MPB, and that the Accutane accelerated the problem by triggering the next, crappier cycle of hair.

If you are convinced that the diameter of the hairs you have now and of the ones you lost is the same as when you were younger, and you do not have MPB in your family (be honest with yourself about this question - I found myself denying my family history), then you probably do not have MPB. Just because you lost hair due to Accutane does not mean you have MPB.

However, here is how I approach this problem:

I only sort of realized how important my hair was to me until this nonsense happened. Now that my MPB is front and center, so to speak, I can start treating it while I have most of my hair, with Rogaine and Propecia.

In summary, even if Accutane caused hair loss because of your MPB destiny, the hairs you lost will come back, though finer in diameter. They will come back. I am cautiously optimistic that they will, because my doctor and others' doctors have not only read about recovery, they have seen it in their patients.

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/04/2007 8:39 am

i haven't lost a specific amount of hair in the areas known for male pattern baldness. most of it is diffused and all around thinner. maybe i'm one of the lucky ones?

so wouldn't this mean that accutane just speeds up the MPB in those certain hairs? meaning that, male pattern baldness is only still going to happen later down the line, but the hairs that were lost will only grow back through MPB in 6-8 years when the new hair grows in? i don't know if i'm making my point clear, but give me your opnion

also, i've noticed at my hair line there are hairs up and down the whole hair line from ear to ear that are from a few millimeters long to a centimeter or so. is this the new growth of hair i've lost or is this normal?

I had short hairs on my hairline very early on. I think this is new growth, but it might be that you lost some hair from your hairline, resulting in the illusion of isolated, individual hairs growing in.

I know for a fact that some of my hair regrew very early on in this tragedy, particularly the hairs where I part my hair. My part went from very wide to tight and narrow within a month.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/04/2007 11:40 am

I had short hairs on my hairline very early on. I think this is new growth, but it might be that you lost some hair from your hairline, resulting in the illusion of isolated, individual hairs growing in.

I know for a fact that some of my hair regrew very early on in this tragedy, particularly the hairs where I part my hair. My part went from very wide to tight and narrow within a month.

Hope this helps.

well i dunno anymore it's just weird because i've lost hair all over, but my top is the part that has been the most adversely affected as well. i can say that i notice a lot of regrowth coming in at my temple, although what trype of hair it is i have no clue. i am losing my hair in a diffuse pattern along the front of my hair line and when i lift my hair up i look like some kind of chemo patient. this is generally all over too etc. at any rate i dunno anymore , i'm going to give it another month or so and if it doesn't die, and my doctor doesn't see any new regrowth it's time to start with the propecia and rogaine. more drugs and more problems. eh maybe a hair piece in the near future.

MemberMember
(@acne_blows)

Posted : 05/04/2007 4:54 pm

I urge men to investigate Propecia's side effects: not only impotence, but possible breast enlargement [!] and changes to the shape of one's penis [!!]. My doctor said that none of her many patients on Propecia have suffered these side effects, and that the drug is a really safe one.

I've been on Propecia since November of 2004 with *ZERO* side effects, whatsoever. I'm 25 now, but I went on it at 22 because I thought I noticed a little thinning; a lady cutting my hair one day said my hair looked to be thinning, and that was my call to action. My dad is bald, so I freaked out thinking I had inherited it. I found Propecia on my own through online research, and I got my GP to prescribe it for me. I don't know if the hair that I had lost grew back or if I was never actually thinning to begin with, but hair dressers always comment on how nice and thick my hair is now. I have no signs at all of any thinning -- my temples and crown are full. Essentially, I've got a super full head of hair and have suffered no side effects (certainly not impotence, thank god). What the data show is that about 2% of users show sexual side effects, with about 1% resulting in impotence and about 1/2 percent each showing libido decrease or ejaculation disorder. I'm not clear on if this is statistically significant, though.

MemberMember
(@ithappens)

Posted : 05/04/2007 7:15 pm

I urge men to investigate Propecia's side effects: not only impotence, but possible breast enlargement [!] and changes to the shape of one's penis [!!]. My doctor said that none of her many patients on Propecia have suffered these side effects, and that the drug is a really safe one.

I've been on Propecia since November of 2004 with *ZERO* side effects, whatsoever. I'm 25 now, but I went on it at 22 because I thought I noticed a little thinning; a lady cutting my hair one day said my hair looked to be thinning, and that was my call to action. My dad is bald, so I freaked out thinking I had inherited it. I found Propecia on my own through online research, and I got my GP to prescribe it for me. I don't know if the hair that I had lost grew back or if I was never actually thinning to begin with, but hair dressers always comment on how nice and thick my hair is now. I have no signs at all of any thinning -- my temples and crown are full. Essentially, I've got a super full head of hair and have suffered no side effects (certainly not impotence, thank god). What the data show is that about 2% of users show sexual side effects, with about 1% resulting in impotence and about 1/2 percent each showing libido decrease or ejaculation disorder. I'm not clear on if this is statistically significant, though.

i tried propecia for two weeks when i first started shedding thinking that it might be MPB. needless to say i did experience side effects such as decreased libido, erectile difficulty, watery semen and lack f ability to sleep giving me a sort of chronic fatigue. those two weren't nearly as bad as the fact that i couldn't sleep and i felt like a zombie all day. i was reading on various sites that propecia sides can be worse in guys who took accutane. needless to say i quit the stuff and everything returned to normal.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/04/2007 9:16 pm

Guy's be honest with me, is it likely that hair loss from accutane can start 5 weeks after my last dose? I have been loosing alot of hair and i can see it becoming thinner. I have however been under alot of stress and i do sometimes shed hair at this time of the year. Do you think it's likely im experiencing this? and if so, due to the fact it has come a while after finishing accutane am i totally screwed?

If so, i have experienced just about every side effect i can think of with accutane....

I probably appear to be a total hypachondriac (sp) to most people on these boards, but i swear to god i have gone through everything i have said and it sucks cock so much...........

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/04/2007 10:42 pm

Lamarr,

Yes, it is possible to suffer hair loss 5 weeks after end of treatment. Search this board's archives (use the keyword "hair") and find some guy called either TehSmurf or TheSmurf or TechSmurf or something. He had hair loss 5 months after! And it grew back 6 months after that.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 9:40 am

Lamarr,

Yes, it is possible to suffer hair loss 5 weeks after end of treatment. Search this board's archives (use the keyword "hair") and find some guy called either TehSmurf or TheSmurf or TechSmurf or something. He had hair loss 5 months after! And it grew back 6 months after that.

Well this is wonderfull!!, i have been waking up to 25 ish hairs on my pillow and loosing probably the same in the bath. Even had a few exams this week and have noticed them dropping out onto the page, what fun....

Seem's so odd that it begand 5 weeks after the end of my treatment, am i right in thinking now that im 6 weeks out it should slow down in another 2 weeks? e.g. hit 2 months off accutane. Or does it not work like that?

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 11:09 am

Lamarr,

Well this is wonderfull!!, i have been waking up to 25 ish hairs on my pillow and loosing probably the same in the bath. Even had a few exams this week and have noticed them dropping out onto the page, what fun....

Seem's so odd that it begand 5 weeks after the end of my treatment, am i right in thinking now that im 6 weeks out it should slow down in another 2 weeks? e.g. hit 2 months off accutane. Or does it not work like that?

Unfortunately, from what I understand, it does not work like that. Realistically, shedding will begin to slow and stop in 3 to 4 months. Everyone is different, but this timeframe is the most realistic one. You need to start counting from when the hair loss started, not from when the Accutane treatment stopped.

See here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=92288

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 12:06 pm

Great :s if it carrys on like this for that long i would imagine i will loose ALOT of hair. I'm pretty sure it may be in part due to stress. I was seriously messed up 6-8 weeks ago.

I mean i would say my hair definenlty feels thinner, in terms of thickness of each strand, and i would say it has done for about a month now, but i have only noticed the hair loss in the last week...

How much did/do you loose on your pillow each night? and what about in the bath?

I would say between 20-25 on my pillow and in the bath every day is what i loose at the moment, along with quite a few on my clothes and desk etc. This may seem like an OK number, but before i would of had none of these.....

Edit, my exisiting hairs do still feel pretty strong , there is also Very little in the way of curling (compared to before accutane)....

MemberMember
(@_andy_)

Posted : 05/05/2007 1:06 pm

Great :s if it carrys on like this for that long i would imagine i will loose ALOT of hair. I'm pretty sure it may be in part due to stress. I was seriously messed up 6-8 weeks ago.

I mean i would say my hair definenlty feels thinner, in terms of thickness of each strand, and i would say it has done for about a month now, but i have only noticed the hair loss in the last week...

How much did/do you loose on your pillow each night? and what about in the bath?

I would say between 20-25 on my pillow and in the bath every day is what i loose at the moment, along with quite a few on my clothes and desk etc. This may seem like an OK number, but before i would of had none of these.....

Edit, my exisiting hairs do still feel pretty strong , there is also Very little in the way of curling (compared to before accutane)....

At my worst, I lost about 120 to 150 hairs a day. Only a few on my pillow, about 50 in the shower, and the rest during the day.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 1:23 pm

Has it slowed down recently? plus did it speed up before it slowed down? I would think im probably loosing around 100 a day, people say this is normal, but for me it isn't and i can see a thinning in my hair from day to day. Is there varying degrees of TE?

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 05/05/2007 1:39 pm

Yesterday I lost like 15 in the shower.. it might be slowing down I hope. The problem is that almost all the hair I've been losing has been in the bangs area, not just temples.

MemberMember
(@popeye18)

Posted : 05/05/2007 4:26 pm

"Is there varying degrees of TE? "

From my research it appears that TE can vary greatly in its degree of severity.

MemberMember
(@popeye18)

Posted : 05/05/2007 4:31 pm

"Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age."

Im having a hard time understanding this as it seems to contradict itself. She said yes it can accelerate mpb because it jumps the hair ahead a cycle. But then she says that hair cycles do not matter and one only pregresses towards mpb as they age.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/05/2007 4:32 pm

"Is there varying degrees of TE? "

From my research it appears that TE can vary greatly in its degree of severity.

Thanks for the response. I think my hairloss/TE is just as likely to be down to stress as it is the accutane to be honest. The point at which i was most stressed seems to coincide perfectly with 2-3 months ago, which does also suggest that it may well be from the severe stress.

Also had a chronic chest infection at the same as all of this when i think about it... which high tempurature etc.

Think im just going to become a recluse after my final exam for the next 6-8 months lol, will hopefully grow back by then!!

can also get my scar treatments to coincide with all of this, how spiffing!!

MemberMember
(@davidhatesacne)

Posted : 05/05/2007 5:28 pm

"Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age."

Im having a hard time understanding this as it seems to contradict itself. She said yes it can accelerate mpb because it jumps the hair ahead a cycle. But then she says that hair cycles do not matter and one only pregresses towards mpb as they age.

i think what he means is that the hair, because of accutane, can accelerate faster in cycles. meaning, if you have MPB or if you are going to have MPB soon accutane could accelerate it because your hair falls out and new crappier ones grow in to replace the better ones accutane lost.

MemberMember
(@semenskinregimen)

Posted : 05/05/2007 5:36 pm

i have hair loss in my beard.

but its from laser not accutane.

i hope it grows back!

MemberMember
(@cutekitten02)

Posted : 05/05/2007 5:38 pm

Hair follicles are not damaged. A change to certain chemical receptors - none related to hair loss - makes them more responsive, and this causes a "shock" to the body. Lack of sebum is also a factor.

2 months. Eating foods with vitamin A does not make a significant difference. To that point, women are allowed to get pregnant six months after Accutane.

My hairs are fine all over my head, not just on my crown. To what extent does Accutane miniaturize hair follicles? What about "hair abnormalities"?

All of them. She has had only six patients out of hundreds lose hair.

My face has become slightly more oily recently. Does the extra oil indicate the effects of Accutane are wearing off? If so, is this the initial sign of hair recovery?

Yes!

No.

So: Guys with hair loss in pattern areas are predestined to suffer MPB. If it concerns you, as it does me, Propecia and Rogaine are the treatment options. I urge men to investigate Propecia's side effects: not only impotence, but possible breast enlargement [!] and changes to the shape of one's penis [!!]. My doctor said that none of her many patients on Propecia have suffered these side effects, and that the drug is a really safe one.

Hope this helped!

Do most people typically experience hair loss or thinning? I already have thin hair, and have been taking Biotin pills for close to a year now, how much of a chance will being on Accutane effect me? (I just started it)

Deandra

MemberMember
(@popeye18)

Posted : 05/05/2007 5:52 pm

"Do most people typically experience hair loss or thinning? I already have thin hair, and have been taking Biotin pills for close to a year now, how much of a chance will being on Accutane effect me? (I just started it)"

The % youll find for accutane hairloss is 13%. My derm said she has seen it significantly less than this. I look at it as something to be aware of, but not something to worry yourself sick over.

"Also had a chronic chest infection at the same as all of this when i think about it... which high tempurature etc."

This very well could be it. High Fever is a common cause of TE. It could also be the stress or the accutane. It could be from a combination of all 3.