Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mex323

WHY IS THIS SCAR TREATMENT BEING IGNORED?!!

Pioneered by Dr. Sire, saline injections are a safe, nearly painless and highly effective way to treat scarring of the skin. Saline injections are effective on shallow atrophic and "rolling type" scars. Saline injections can also be used prior to other procedures to reduce the amount of surgical trauma caused by a more aggressive procedure such as dermabrasion or laser resurfacing. Results can last a year or longer but can be extended through maintenance injections.

Costs $150 per treatment

I'm shocked more people haven't tried this simple treatment. I just heard about it last night on Fox 11 news. Let's discuss....

http://www.ascmedcenter.com/ss1/ss1e/saline.html

I'd love to try it but the only doc I've found who does it is Dr Sire in CA - since repeated injections are required, if you don't live close by, it's unrealistic to consider Dr Sire.

If anyone knows of any docs doing saline injections for acne scars in other states/provinces, please post their names & locations!

I felt I should register and post, since I've had this treatment from Dr. Sire and read about it here on this site. First off, if you have Blue Shield/Cross, part of the treatment is covered by insurance.

The treatment itself is not too painful. You'll be swollen for a few hours to a day or so depending on your face's reaction to being poked with needles. I would usually only be swollen for 2 hours or so, then just have red marks where I was injected for 3 days. I have what I consider moderate to severe scarring(rolling and boxcar), and the result was ok for me. It corrected some areas well and others it didn't do much. I noticed as he did certain areas a number of times, these areas appeared to fill in better and the correction would stay longer. It's definitely great to see yourself after a few hours with less severe scarring.

I moved on to other treatments after 5 rounds of injections. I realized I wanted more than what I believe the treatment was going to give me. Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Sire is a great guy IMHO, and if you have light to moderate scarring and insurance this could be a good thing to do. I don't regret having it done at all and the possible side effects are minimal.

Thanks for posting this. I found an old thread on it the other day and pretty much everyone had very positive things to say about it. I'm considering self injecting, but I need to do a lot more research first.

I felt I should register and post, since I've had this treatment from Dr. Sire and read about it here on this site. First off, if you have Blue Shield/Cross, part of the treatment is covered by insurance.

The treatment itself is not too painful. You'll be swollen for a few hours to a day or so depending on your face's reaction to being poked with needles. I would usually only be swollen for 2 hours or so, then just have red marks where I was injected for 3 days. I have what I consider moderate to severe scarring(rolling and boxcar), and the result was ok for me. It corrected some areas well and others it didn't do much. I noticed as he did certain areas a number of times, these areas appeared to fill in better and the correction would stay longer. It's definitely great to see yourself after a few hours with less severe scarring.

I moved on to other treatments after 5 rounds of injections. I realized I wanted more than what I believe the treatment was going to give me. Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Sire is a great guy IMHO, and if you have light to moderate scarring and insurance this could be a good thing to do. I don't regret having it done at all and the possible side effects are minimal.

Thanks for your feedback. I had my first Fraxel treatment and I plan on combining treatments until i get every scar smoothed out.

Because for some reason no one does it.

I followed several threads from years ago and those few who managed to get it done from Dr. Sire reported very good results. But others claim they called his office and the staff deny they did it. The suspicion being that they'd rather sell a more expensive treatment.

I've seen posts from people who tried to get their own doctor to do it, but they got scoffed at. And some people do it themselves. I think you get diabetic needles which are supposedly very small and the saline used for contact lenses.

But I saw that that Sire's website is now promoting saline injections.

...I think you get diabetic needles which are supposedly very small and the saline used for contact lenses...

Not saline for contact lenses, it is not formulated for injection. It has preservatives and stabilizers that could react very seriously if you decided to inject contact lens saline. Saline for contact lenses is not sterile, it is merely clean. Injectable saline has preservatives but it is tested for injection and it is sterile if one follows proper techniques.

Does it do anything other than temporarily plumping the skin with salty water?

i heard that over time this will improve scarring because the injections help to break up the fibrous tissue hold down the skin.

Dr. Sire's site is always quick to say that the results are temorary and need to be repeated bi-monthly.

Everytime I have heard this scar procedure cited by individuals that have had it done, they have always mentioned that it is permanent. From what I understand, the saline produces enough irritation needed to stimulate collagen production. The saline as filler* is temporary but the saline as collagen inducer* is permanent. This is what I have always understood...maybe I'm wrong. I guess if Dr. Sire says it's only temporary, that is a pretty good indication that I'm wrong.

If it is not permanent, I wouldn't mess with it. Having to repeat some bi-montly for the rest of your life would just make you think about your scars more than we already do.

It's time for something permanent that works...not hit-or-miss procedures like lasers, needling, injections, etc.

If it is not permanent, I wouldn't mess with it. Having to repeat some bi-montly for the rest of your life would just make you think about your scars more than we already do.

Guys it is permanent....

I cant say enough what a blessing this treatment has been for me.

I really recommend anyone who is interested in trying this, as there is virtually no cots to this.

Check out my thread on saline, I also have before and after pictures up.

I have received about 95% improvement and have stooped the treatment over a year ago.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=50475

Dr. Sire's site is always quick to say that the results are temorary and need to be repeated bi-monthly.

Everytime I have heard this scar procedure cited by individuals that have had it done, they have always mentioned that it is permanent. From what I understand, the saline produces enough irritation needed to stimulate collagen production. The saline as filler* is temporary but the saline as collagen inducer* is permanent. This is what I have always understood...maybe I'm wrong. I guess if Dr. Sire says it's only temporary, that is a pretty good indication that I'm wrong.

It's time for something permanent that works...not hit-or-miss procedures like lasers, needling, injections, etc.

That is how I understood it too. And have read posts by people who said they had good results.

Hi Jenya, can you post a direct link to your before and after pics from the saline injections? I went through the thread you posted and couldn't find them.

Many Thanks

i, too, looked into this procedure's availability in the san francisco bay area and also found sire appears to be the only practitioner at this time. that was over a year ago, as well. jenya's posts were always the primary motivating factor so i'm glad to hear she's still pleased with her results.

I think a lot of people feel that some type of treatment that needs maintenance isn't something they're looking for. I'd rather pay a lot of money 1 time, then have multiple treatments over years. Even if the continuation of it for years does get you to the point where you can stop, I still think that would be a hassle.

I had the erbium laser done on my nose, and the needle that the doc used to inject the anesthetic actually left a big hole in my nose right next to the originial scar I was having treated. It doesn't look bad anymore, but it's still there. So maybe that's another reason why people aren't getting it. Injecting anything could lead to more scars.

By the way, erbium has helped a lot with my scar. I was really happy right after I had it done, but then I wasn't as happy a few weeks later. The scar is no where as jagged as it was before and much smaller, but there is still a depressed area from where the doc did the laser. I'm thinking of getting fraxel done just to smooth things out, but I've seen a big improvement in collagen production in the past two weeks so maybe I won't need it. I had it done 6 months ago, and am still seeing things change for the better.

I have had saline injections. They work best with combination subcision. Dr. Rullan performed my saline injections, he calles it "saline subcision." It is a good inexpensive acne scar treatment.

WHY IS THIS SCAR TREATMENT BEING IGNORED?

Well, to answer your question it is because NOBODY offers this service! I mean NOBODY.

Do an internet search and you will see.

Other than Dr. Sire, this treatment doesn't even exist!

I tried it on myself...terrible pain and didn't work at all.

I would love to find a doctor to do it in my area but that will never happen.

Bump. Is there any scientific evidence this works?

I wouldn't put much faith in "science."

What have science and technology done for acne scars? Nothing

My derm's comment on this was "It says to have 10 treatments - this is a form of repeated subcision therapy, it has nothing to do with saline"

I did read that placing immediate acting fillers at the time of subcision can sometimes be effective in preventing a scar from rebinding down again, but this would need to act over many weeks, whereas salty water would disappear in a few days presumably...