Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rx

Do I try DK if ProActiv doesn't work for me?

Hello,

I've been currently using ProActiv for about 5 months, although it works to an extent I still have a lot of pimples. My forehead, and cheeks are scattered with them. I like to say I'm somewhat under control, but I still have breakouts and I am far from clear.

I would like to end ProActiv, but if it isn't working for me should I bother trying DK's regimen? Since they both use benzoyl peroxide?

I just want to be clear, I know I should see a doctor but I would like to try other things first. As my acne is very moderate, but still not fun. I will take pics sometime.

So my question is, if ProActiv doesn't work is there a point in trying DK's regimen?

Thanks

Proactiv is crap, IMO

I used it for 2-3 years. It was better than using nothing, but it definitely didn't clear me up.

I'm on week 5-6 of the DKR and I'm clearer than I've been in probably about 5 years. DKR is definitely better.

^Agreed - I tried proactiv 3 (yes three :dry: ) times, nothing. DKR = 95% improvement :D

Alright, I just called and canceled my Proactiv and ordered DKR.

I'm really scared, and hoping for the best. I just don't want DKR to be worse than ProActiv or anything, I can handle the wait for improvement, but if it gets worse that will be very tough.

ALSO, did you guys know that ProActiv has an extra-strength kit? When I was canceling they recommended it to me, and it just has a higher concentration of BP. I read in the FAQ though that higher isn't better, so declined, just wondering if anyone tried it?

One important question: Can you take antiobiotics while on DKR, any? As I want to go to a doctor and get an antibiotic in addition to the topical DKR, wasn't sure if you can use BP and antibiotics though? (I want double the power)

You can, but antibiotics will gradually lose their effectivenss - not the case with BP.

That's fine, as long as I can use the antibiotics for a little while to see what they're like and if they make things better teamed along with BP. I can just keep switching between different antibiotics hehe, or dive into accutane as scary it sounds.

I tried the extra strength proactive. I think it was 7.5% BP. It didn't work any better than the orginal and made my face more red.

Proactiv and Dan's regimen are similar in that they both use BP, but there are a few important differences. Proactiv's face wash is irritation, irritation, irritation, whereas Dan asks you to be as gentle as possible with all steps. Proactiv is very drying, while Dan has you use moisturizer (this extra step makes a big difference for a lot of people). And perhaps most importantly, Dan has you use a lot more BP than the thin layer you apply with Proactiv. I think the starting dose for Dan's regimen is roughly equivalent to the amount of BP you are supposed to apply with Proactiv, but then you start increasing that and eventually use about three times as much BP. My acne did not improve at all on Proactiv, but the face wash tore open a lot of my zits and made them even more irritated and painful, the face wash bleached every towel I touched, and my skin was always painfully dry. With Dan's I had initial dryness and irritation as I adjusted to BP, but now when I put on BP, it's like rubbing water into my skin or something equally nonirritating, I have no problem with large amounts of it, and best of all, it actually worked to clear up my acne and keep me clear.

Here is a pic of my face right now (forehead has a big scar like right in the middle, that's not from acne it was an accident when I split my head open as a kid). Using ProActiv since January 2007. Has DKR cleared faces this bad? Also, do you see any scars or anything that aren't going to go away? To me, I like to look at is as marks/discolorations and such that are going to go with time. You can't see most of the discolorations, they are mainly on the cheeks.

post-57772-1178060942_thumb.jpg

post-57772-1178060942_thumb.jpg

Proactiv made my face purged after i stopped using it, i broke out so bad, but i switched to DKR and now my face is a lot better, only red marks now.

Proactiv made my face purged after i stopped using it, i broke out so bad, but i switched to DKR and now my face is a lot better, only red marks now.

Can I use something alongside DKR to help get rid of red marks?

Can I use something alongside DKR to help get rid of red marks?

there are several options to redmarks... the main one is to exfoliate

i like to use AHA moisturizer to chemically exfoliate

you can use baby brushes to manually exfoliate... but ive never tried it

other people say they use Apple Cider Vinegar to treat redmarks but im not so in to that

I use AHA moisturizer but i just started so i haven't seen much results yet, i just put a coating of Neutrogena Healthy Skin for night and then 10 minutes later a thin layer of sudocrem.

my red marks are getting better, it just gets a bit red after u apply the moisturizer but after a while it subsides and goes back to normal.