Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow111

Know nothing about Blackheads etc but really need your help

Well I'd like to firstly thank to whoever spends the time to read this and help as it's been a slight bother to me recently and I want to get rid of it as soon as possible, so thank you once more.

Firstly about a year or so ago (not really sure but roughly that) i've been getting some form of acne on my nose which when squeezed out comes out as white wormlike things. They don't seem to go away and i'm sick of them, theyre also leaving "holes" of sorts in my nose and with particularly bigger versions of these wormthings, the holes are quite big. How can i do anything about these...I hate them! Could it be to do with hot showers as I used to have a lot of them at pretty high temperatures. I'm sorry if I'm not going into enough detail but I know next to nothing about acne and have really never used any proper creams etc for it.

My second problem is on my forehead, well not exactly my forehead but below it between my eyebrows where I seem to be getting lots of tiny spots that never form pimples in most cases but are unappealing nonetheless. How can I get rid of these?

The bigger problem is my nose which I have recently been scrubbing a lot and only recently learnt that squeezing the gunkish stuff out isn't the best idea but I don't know what else to do, if I scrub em the skin goes cracky on my nose, sometimes after a shower my nose is slightly shiny but I don't know :/

Anyway it's not a huge problem and bearable but any advice would be well recieved.

Thanks again

Well I'd like to firstly thank to whoever spends the time to read this and help as it's been a slight bother to me recently and I want to get rid of it as soon as possible, so thank you once more.

Firstly about a year or so ago (not really sure but roughly that) i've been getting some form of acne on my nose which when squeezed out comes out as white wormlike things. They don't seem to go away and i'm sick of them, theyre also leaving "holes" of sorts in my nose and with particularly bigger versions of these wormthings, the holes are quite big. How can i do anything about these...I hate them! Could it be to do with hot showers as I used to have a lot of them at pretty high temperatures. I'm sorry if I'm not going into enough detail but I know next to nothing about acne and have really never used any proper creams etc for it.

My second problem is on my forehead, well not exactly my forehead but below it between my eyebrows where I seem to be getting lots of tiny spots that never form pimples in most cases but are unappealing nonetheless. How can I get rid of these?

The bigger problem is my nose which I have recently been scrubbing a lot and only recently learnt that squeezing the gunkish stuff out isn't the best idea but I don't know what else to do, if I scrub em the skin goes cracky on my nose, sometimes after a shower my nose is slightly shiny but I don't know :/

Anyway it's not a huge problem and bearable but any advice would be well recieved.

Thanks again

I've had similar issues with my skin. Scrubbing has never done anything to make me think it helps.

Be careful about which soap you're using. Completely avoid shower soap on your face. Use something like glycerine(sp) soap.

I've never had good results from trying to dry my skin out. That usually makes them worse. The BHA I'm using now seems to be helping a little with that a bit, but I'm still in the early stages.

It's really sad when I know exactly what you mean by "white wormlike things". I certainly would not scrub your skin till it cracks even if you have blackheads of death scrubbing and picking and all that will do you no good in the long run because as soon as those "worms" go away new ones will appear in their place. It really is better to try BHA (a lot of people seem to like Paula's Choice). I am allergic to it so in the end it made my skin much worse but the skin inbetween my breakouts and rashes was really smooth granted that skin was only like 15% if my face but I doubt you are allergic like me so maybe it will help.

I hope someone who has seemed to erdicate blackheads comes to your thread because I really am no help. There is no way I can make my blackheads completely disappear or even come close all I try to do is control and conceal them as much as possible.

BTW, I don't think it is bad to get the gunk out. If you have the money and find a good doctor it would probably really help to have someone get rid of your current blackheads. Even if you don't have the money for that if you are safe and clean about getting rid of your blackheads I think it should be okay as long as you aren't so forceful you begin to scar. Just be smart about it washing your face, washing your hands (even after each squeeze) and do not overdo it. Then again I have had blackheads forever so you may want a second opinion.

About the spots between your eyes it almost sounds like millia or whiteheads. I would really find a good topical treatment (like I mentioned Paula's Choice) and if you still feel the need to scrub your skin do it gently. Exfoliating is good (which a good BHA/SA will actually do for you) and will probably help you a lot but scrubbing your skin till it is raw is the wrong way to go. I am on BP so my skin is always ready to fall off but I have found even just putting on some cleanser or a moisturizer then gently wiping it off with a papertowel removes the dead skin. I then cleanse my face with my cleanser/water and it just feels nicer and smoother but I exfoliated in a gentler way. Scrubbing really won't help and it is no fun to have spots all over your face plus a raw, cracked skin to go with it.

Gentle exfoliation will help with blackheads. If you must pick (and I know it is so darn tempting), do it gently with a special tool for that purpose. I'm using the Tweezerman comedone extractor thingymabob. I don't know its real name offhand.

Take warm showers, not hot.

The shiny nose you describe after a shower is likely from dry skin, not oily skin. Try using a gentle cleanser for sensitive skin, not regular soap, on your face. Apply a light moisturizer that is non-comedogenic and for sensitive skin to your face after your shower. If your body isn't acne prone, most any moisturizer will be fine for the body. If it is acne prone, be sure to use a non-comedogenic moisturizer for your body.

My doctor told me to avoid hot showers. The heat of the water raises your skin temperature to an artificially high level. This is especially so if you have just been exerting yourself.

When showering the water should be lukewarm at best.

What you're describing sounds like a closed comedone. I have those all over the place. :( The white 'worm-like things' you describe is just puss, and it comes out in a string as it's forced through a small hole. All you need to do to get rid of these is pierce them just enough to get the puss out with a needle, and then gently squeeze. The puss doesn't always come out, so if it doesn't for the first squeeze or two you should leave it alone, lest it becomes a full-blown pimple.

Hope this helps. ^ ^

Ive been using Clearasil to remove some of my little blackheads since thursday and i think i see a little difference but i still need to use it for a longer time......maybe months