Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am scared of side effects so I asked my derm about low dose. She said she has a patient that has been on extremely low dose accutane for over 3 years now and that its working great for her. My derm said its a shitload of money nad you sitll have to get the tests every month so thats why most people dont do it.

She siad if I were to be on 5mg a day for approx. 5-10 years or till whenver i grow out of acne, I would have virtually no side effects.

I mentioned occasional flushing (not that bad, I havent flushed once for over a month) and she said thats probly due to the differin and stopping differin and using a dose of accutane this low should take care of that also.

She said she can guarentee that this will completely take care of the oil (i have rediculously oily skin), and that as long as im on it, no oil.

She also said with accutane this low practically noone gets an initial breakout.

So what do you guys think? She said shell give me whichever kind of accutane I wnats but once I suggested it, she said starting at a dose that low and giving it a few months to work (and if it doesnt getting on a regular dose regular course of accutane ) sounds like it would be just fine.

forget to mention, my acne is mild, if that makes any difference.

ummmmmmmmmmmm

typical medicine months are about uh... 6 months max. ... look around on the forums, theres something about a cumulative dosage or something

but...I wouldn't be on the medication longer than 5 to 6 months...I've never heard of being on it for years, consecutively at least... some people go back on it after awhile, but ...thats because they break out again.....lol

ummm.. okay, think of it this way...

I got the script, though I can't fill it, for 30 mg.... and I'm supposed to be on it for 5 months. I don't know how bad your acne is, but compared to everyone else here that I've seen pics of, I'm really bad...lol.. and I'm only supposed to be on it for 5 months...lol

it just doesn't make sense to do it for years on end. Why go through all that blood every month?

maybe your on a low dosage to ease yourself into the medication, or maybe you would be really sensitive to it or something, but ... I just don't see a point to being on it for so long. :/

well, if thats what you wanna do, go right ahead...but I don't think it was meant to be on the medication long term....thats just my opinion though .... :)

As your derm says, low dose for years at a time seem's to show very little side effects, i have a few friends who do the same and they cleared in about 3 weeks and don't get any spots whilst taking it this way. It's a strange drug and i dunno how it works like that but meh...it does.

Yes, low-dose, long-term accutane is a fairly new alternative to the usual normal-dose, short-term treatment. We're talking as little as like 5 mg per week at the lowest, and as much as 5 mg per day for the upper threshold. Patients may stay on it for much longer periods of time than a standard accutane regimen, and there is a high rate of success with very little side effects.

Check out this article for more (I redirected the link through tinyurl.com to shorten the copy-paste trouble): http://tinyurl.com/2my2d4 .

why not?

among others, this isn't a drug that I would wanna be on long term, much less at all, but since it seems like my last resort, I decided on it...I'm against going on it, but if I really have to.. I have to, but if its not gonna go easy (note some problems with ipledge) then its not really worth it. Its not something I feel I desperately have to have,...

but I just dont think its a good idea to have it such long term.. thats my opinion anyways

i am thinking of going on low dose accutane seems like a great idea because i have been on and off accutane 3 times now and my acne has come back within 6months of ending each course!!so i am seriously thinkin about long term low dose accutane if it kept me clear until i grew out of acne would be a dream!

Hi -

I read your post and I think this is a good route to take. There is lots of findings/tests on low dose Accutane. Low dose Accutane is good for treating mild acne, Rosacea, peri-oral dermatitis, etc. Do a google search on low dose accutane studies - several come up. Yeah, with low dose, it may be good to take longer, to get the desired effects. I like the idea of less side effects too.

I have mild acne (chin acne mainly) thats mostly hormonal. I also have mild Rosacea (pink cheeks and nose). I just started low dose Accutane on 4/29. Suppose to take 10mg daily, but so far, I'm taking every other day. I take it at night with dinner. Both times, I get a headache and achey feeling a little while later. Yesterday, I could tell my eyes were a little dry (wear contacts) and put drops in. How about you? Also, how is your acne, chin, forehead, etc? How long do you plan taking it and what dosage? Have you had any headaches or achiness? Do you wear contacts? Do you know others who had Accutane and with good results?

Talk to ya soon.

Yvette

Yvette

I am scared of side effects so I asked my derm about low dose. She said she has a patient that has been on extremely low dose accutane for over 3 years now and that its working great for her. My derm said its a shitload of money nad you sitll have to get the tests every month so thats why most people dont do it.

She siad if I were to be on 5mg a day for approx. 5-10 years or till whenver i grow out of acne, I would have virtually no side effects.

I mentioned occasional flushing (not that bad, I havent flushed once for over a month) and she said thats probly due to the differin and stopping differin and using a dose of accutane this low should take care of that also.

She said she can guarentee that this will completely take care of the oil (i have rediculously oily skin), and that as long as im on it, no oil.

She also said with accutane this low practically noone gets an initial breakout.

So what do you guys think? She said shell give me whichever kind of accutane I wnats but once I suggested it, she said starting at a dose that low and giving it a few months to work (and if it doesnt getting on a regular dose regular course of accutane ) sounds like it would be just fine.

forget to mention, my acne is mild, if that makes any difference.

According to my derm, Im going to be taking 5mg per day for as long as i want. Probably about 5 or so years as Im 18 and thats when I expect to be grown out of acne. My acne is really mild too, especially on differin, but i still get pimples persistantly. It seems every day Ill wake up with a new tiny inflamed pimple with a big white head sticking out of it. my face always looks close to clear (though rough skin and non-perfect skin tone from the creams, and very oily), but thats because Im popping a white head every night. Sometimes I wake up, and after I pop them they will bleed for about 45 min, so i just go to school with a big white head. Also, my nose gets blackheads. My forehead is covered in those little tiny under-the-skin whitehead things that are usually only visible in certian lights. I get the occasional huge pimple that I think will loook like a cyst, but then it always comes to a huge head after a day or two. The oil is so extreme that I have HAVE to blot every 2 hours or ill get under teh skin whitehead things on my forehead and blackheads on my nose/cheek by the nose, so thats why im getting tane. no my chin is usually my best area, though i just popped one there tonight. My problem areas are anywhere at any given time, including the neck.

Did you start Accutane yet? Or, are you waiting the one month iPledge? Are you male or female?

I hope I can manage the side effects, so far the three doses I've had, have given me headaches and achy feeling afterward. It lasts half the day and then goes away. Right now I'm taking 10 mg. every other day. I also have mild Rosacea (pink cheeks and pink nose) and taking 10 mg a day or every other day shouldn't "blow out" my Rosacea. My acne is more on my chin, but do get a few spots under my nose and forehead occassionally too. I'm really scared taking the medicine though as the side effects seem greater than standard antibiotics I've had (Minocyline or Doxycline). I'm gonna give this a go and if all works out on this dosage (mild side effects) while giving results then cool. If not, then I will stop and go back on Oracea (Doxycline) or low dose Minocycline.

Good luck and talk to ya soon.

Yvette

According to my derm, Im going to be taking 5mg per day for as long as i want. Probably about 5 or so years as Im 18 and thats when I expect to be grown out of acne. My acne is really mild too, especially on differin, but i still get pimples persistantly. It seems every day Ill wake up with a new tiny inflamed pimple with a big white head sticking out of it. my face always looks close to clear (though rough skin and non-perfect skin tone from the creams, and very oily), but thats because Im popping a white head every night. Sometimes I wake up, and after I pop them they will bleed for about 45 min, so i just go to school with a big white head. Also, my nose gets blackheads. My forehead is covered in those little tiny under-the-skin whitehead things that are usually only visible in certian lights. I get the occasional huge pimple that I think will loook like a cyst, but then it always comes to a huge head after a day or two. The oil is so extreme that I have HAVE to blot every 2 hours or ill get under teh skin whitehead things on my forehead and blackheads on my nose/cheek by the nose, so thats why im getting tane. no my chin is usually my best area, though i just popped one there tonight. My problem areas are anywhere at any given time, including the neck.