Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshies

Painful red skin

Hello,

Im a 14-year-old male.

Ive had mild acne for about 6-8 months.

About 5 days ago i started using BP again (yes i stopped using it for several days). I used it to the area around my mouth (mostly chin, my problem area). The following day I was in the sun WITHOUT SUNSCREEN for 3 or more hours. The next day i woke up and looked in the mirror, the area where i put the BP on was all red and hurt like shiat. Sometimes ORANGE (yes orange) stuff is dripping out of it. I immediately stopped applying the BP.

I knew the sun had did this to me. I avoided the sun and started using ACV on it. It didnt help at all.

It is very painful and its also in the corners of my lips, when i open my mouth it stings like hell. Im using a cleanser which has a lil SA in it, so has my moisturizer. I drink about 3 litres of water everyday. It just wont get any better. The areas on my face where i didnt apply BP were red in the beginning (sunburnt). But not any more.

Ive now stopped using ACV too. Im only cleansing it in the morning and evening with cleanser that has a lil amount of SA as i said.

Please help me out, i look horrible and im so depressed

Joshies

BP destroys your skin's ability to heal and oxidizes it and you're blaming the sun instead ?

and you are using SA products too? your redness solution seems obvious to me

No offense or anything but it's never smart to go out in the sun without protection anyway, much less when you're using acne medications which are proven to make the skin more sun-sensitive than it already is. Many people think that they only experience sun damage when their skin gets tanned or burned. Short periods of daily cumulative exposure cause sun damage and that damage adds up over time.

Make sure your sunscreen is broad-spectrum and has an SPF of 15 or higher. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect against both UVA rays (which are primarily associated with causing premature aging and skin cancer) and UVB rays (which are primarily associated with causing tanning and burning). Many sunscreens do not provide sufficient protection against UVA rays. If your sunscreen does not contain one of these ingredients: titanium dioxde, zinc oxide, avobenzone, mexoryl sx, or tinosorb, it's not broad-spectrum. You can check my pinned thread in this forum for some sunscreen recommendations.

Even if you're staying indoors for most of the day it's still a good idea to wear sunscreen because as mentioned above small amounts of daily cumulative exposure does cause problems. In addition, UVA rays penetrate untinted glass, so sitting by a sunny window can also cause problems.

Here's an article about smart sun habits you might like:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163

In the meantime do nothing to your skin except gently cleanse with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water and apply a broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. Avoid washcloths or anything abrasive. It might also be helpful to apply a zinc oxide product (like one made for a baby's diaper rash and preferrably without fragrance; Rite Aid's Zinc Oxide Ointment is one such) to soothe the skin and speed healing. A sunscreen containing titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide as its only active ingredients would probably be best over the areas of injured skin since they are gentler than synthetic sunscreen agents.

Also, you didn't ask about this but salicylic acid cleansers really aren't an effective way to treat acne because most cleansers have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the treatment to act as an exfoliant and the product just gets rinsed off anyway. In addition, many salicylic acid cleansers marketed to acne sufferes use harsh surfectants like sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate and/or contain other skin irritants like menthol, which are included due to the tingling sensation they produce which tricks users into thinking that they can feel the product working. Olay's Gentle Foaming Face Wash would be a good and gentle alternative.

In addition most salicylic acid products are poorly formulated anyway; either having too high of a pH or containing unnecessary skin irritants. I list some decent ones on my pinned thread, and Paula's Choice makes the best of these. Even if you were using a well-formulated salicylic acid product I wouldn't recommend using it until your skin has had a chance to heal.

No offense or anything but it's never smart to go out in the sun without protection anyway, much less when you're using acne medications which are proven to make the skin more sun-sensitive than it already is. Many people think that they only experience sun damage when their skin gets tanned or burned. Short periods of daily cumulative exposure cause sun damage and that damage adds up over time.

Make sure your sunscreen is broad-spectrum and has an SPF of 15 or higher. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect against both UVA rays (which are primarily associated with causing premature aging and skin cancer) and UVB rays (which are primarily associated with causing tanning and burning). Many sunscreens do not provide sufficient protection against UVA rays. If your sunscreen does not contain one of these ingredients: titanium dioxde, zinc oxide, avobenzone, mexoryl sx, or tinosorb, it's not broad-spectrum. You can check my pinned thread in this forum for some sunscreen recommendations.

Even if you're staying indoors for most of the day it's still a good idea to wear sunscreen because as mentioned above small amounts of daily cumulative exposure does cause problems. In addition, UVA rays penetrate untinted glass, so sitting by a sunny window can also cause problems.

Here's an article about smart sun habits you might like:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163

In the meantime do nothing to your skin except gently cleanse with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water and apply a broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen. Avoid washcloths or anything abrasive. It might also be helpful to apply a zinc oxide product (like one made for a baby's diaper rash and preferrably without fragrance; Rite Aid's Zinc Oxide Ointment is one such) to soothe the skin and speed healing. A sunscreen containing titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide as its only active ingredients would probably be best over the areas of injured skin since they are gentler than synthetic sunscreen agents.

Also, you didn't ask about this but salicylic acid cleansers really aren't an effective way to treat acne because most cleansers have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the treatment to act as an exfoliant and the product just gets rinsed off anyway. In addition, many salicylic acid cleansers marketed to acne sufferes use harsh surfectants like sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate and/or contain other skin irritants like menthol, which are included due to the tingling sensation they produce which tricks users into thinking that they can feel the product working. Olay's Gentle Foaming Face Wash would be a good and gentle alternative.

In addition most salicylic acid products are poorly formulated anyway; either having too high of a pH or containing unnecessary skin irritants. I list some decent ones on my pinned thread, and Paula's Choice makes the best of these. Even if you were using a well-formulated salicylic acid product I wouldn't recommend using it until your skin has had a chance to heal.

I understand it was quite dumb to be in the sun for such a long period of time without sunscreen. :confused: I learnt my lesson. Now im only using a mild cleanser and drink lots of water.

The redness IS improving, not fast but it is. Hope its gone soon :\, thanks for your reply, very helpful.

After about 5 months of not using BP, I started again about a week ago in the morning. It was a rainy day so there wasn't much sun out. I just used the proactive kind because I got tons of those from when I used to use it. Throughout the day at school, my face got progressively redder and redder until it looked like i had 1st degree burns on my face!!! It was embarrassing I know, but then I started getting these weird bumps that would pop and ooze it was mad f'ed up! I couldn't have been allergic to it because I used to use it. Maybe it's because I put to much on my face or whatever, but I still moisturized after with the Aveeno Ultra-Calming spf 15 Moustrizer and Jojoba Oil. So maybe it wasn't just the sun man...that's all im saying. :rolleyes:

After about 5 months of not using BP, I started again about a week ago in the morning. It was a rainy day so there wasn't much sun out. I just used the proactive kind because I got tons of those from when I used to use it. Throughout the day at school, my face got progressively redder and redder until it looked like i had 1st degree burns on my face!!! It was embarrassing I know, but then I started getting these weird bumps that would pop and ooze it was mad f'ed up! I couldn't have been allergic to it because I used to use it. Maybe it's because I put to much on my face or whatever, but I still moisturized after with the Aveeno Ultra-Calming spf 15 Moustrizer and Jojoba Oil. So maybe it wasn't just the sun man...that's all im saying. :rolleyes:

Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer with SPF 15 contains feverfew, which is anti-inflammatory when taken orally but a skin irritant when applied topically. Even if you've used it before without problems, the irritation the product causes would have most likely become more noticeable when using a product containing benzoyl peroxide. Another part of your problem is that you might not have applied the sunscreen liberally enough to have gotten sufficient protection. If you applied the jojoba oil after the sunscreen, the effectiveness of the sun protection would have been diminished. Sunscreen should always be the last skincare product you apply to your face.