Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chaseryder

do I have a skin condition?

I have been dealing with acne for a long time...i have been tonnns of anti-biotics...accutane 3 times, I guess...ive tried almost any crazy idea that is found on this forum...anyway, I have always had very sensitive dry irritated skin, yet also very oily. My acne is sort of like a rash on my cheeks/face...its these little red bumps...I have a lot of blkheads on my nose and around my inner cheeks...yet my face is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE...like if I use water or anything, my face gets extremely tight right after...the only moisturizer that will make my skin feel "normal" is cetaphil due to its thick base...any other moisturizer, i.e. aveeno isn't potent enough, and no matter how much I use..it still is tight and irritated...I am curious, does anyone know if this is a skin condition? Like a chronic dryness... I have been very gentle on my skin for almost a year now...using only gentle washes, and washing once a day, and only using water in the morning...it makes no sense, why my skin reacts like this...its very dry yet EXTREMELY OILY...and prone to all kinds of breakouts...I am just curious if anyone else might be dealing with this, or has an idea of what sort of condition my skin is in?

anyone have an idea? My skin feels extremely irritated and dry? Is that what irritation is? I have no idea what im doing wrong...I use gentle cleansers, and I am still dry. Maybe it is the eucerin redness relief im using...its just wierd, since i dont use much...it just seems like it gets extremely irritated after I shave...

Extremly dry yet covered in oil ? sounds like my skin 4-5 months ago before i seriously changed my diet in addition to heavy omega 3 supplementation. Now my skin is still fairly dry at the surface but my oil production is probably down 80%+.

I have a friend whose skin sounds a lot like what you are describing - he was told he has seborrheic dermatitis. It has a completely different treatment than acne breakouts. Have you seen a derm recently? If not, you might try to see one to see if you have something other than acne. Sure sounds like you might.

hmm i dont believe its seborretic dermatitis...sp...my skin isn't like the pictures I found on google...it is dry, red, but it has a sort of rash like pimples to it...with lots of blackheads, I have tons of clogged pores, but my skin is irritated i think? What is the true definition of irritation? Inflamation, redness, dry? My skin is just dry, and oily...no matter how gentle I am, I still am dry even with moisturizer...cetaphil...I have no idea, what my skin is like...I am also taking b5 at high doses...I dont know if that is making the situatino worse, but I have had skin like this for quite some time, before b5...

I kind of have the same condition, but also don't know what it is. I have blackheads and oily (yet very dry) skin, but when I use products to try to get rid of the blackheads, then my skin gets blisters and becomes very red and irritated (even with so-called natural products). It gets particularly irritated on my cheeks, around my eyes, and on my jaw. I thought it was eczema, but eczema is supposed to get better with the use hydrocortisone, and my skin just gets worse with the use of any hydrocortisone cream. What seems to make my skin worse is the use of products that contain alcohol in them. Is that true for you?

Sounds like classic rosacea to me.

Most of the 14 million Americans who have rosacea don't even know it. Rosacea causes facial redness and swelling, so it's easily confused with acne, sunburn, or dermatitis.

The first sign is usually a persistent redness on the cheeks, nose, and central forehead--a blush that simply won't go away. Mild burning or tingling can occur too. Next come tiny red pimples around the center of the face. (These are often mistaken for acne, but medications such as benzoyl peroxide only aggravate the problem.) As rosacea advances, tiny spider veins and broken capillaries begin to show.

Although there seems to be a genetic predisposition to rosacea, scientists don't yet know what causes it, and there is no known cure. But there are ways to minimize its impact.

hmm...good post, and well noted...however, i thought I had rosacea ever since i took accutane for 3 days and developed a pesistant red burning face...that flares up...all the symtoms point to it, yet I went to my derm, and he assured me that it wasn't rosacea, just side effects from the accutane...I am not sure, maybe I do have rosacea, part of me believes I do since I have read/talked with a lot of accutane users who have now been diagnosed with such a disorder...whatever it is, only time will tell. Yet my skin is a persistent dry feeling...like tight irritated feelings yet oily...with blackheads...whatamess u sound just like me...we seem to have somewhat similar skin...

my skin is tight, irritated at times, and very oily...i have a lot of blackheads all over my nose and cheeks...and my cheeks are infested with little red clogged pores...I am not sure what skin condition this is, yet from what I read, rosacea isn't a persistent dryness feeling...nor do people have black heads with it either...the pictures i look at really dont look what I have...my face has an all around red appearance, that varies from activities i participate in or emotional unstableness...all i know is my skin is super sensitive, and no amtter what I use on it, it is affected...things dont burn or sting when applied, which is stated as a usual problem, but I have no idea...thanks for the insight man. I wish I really knew what this was however..

hmm :think: I'd post this in the rosacea forum if I were you - see what those who know they have it think.

That sounds very much like me!!

I only been on Roaccutane once though. I was kinda already sensitive but Roaccutane made it just enough to cause it to go red alot more for no reason at times. It can seem dry even when moisturising but look or break out as if its oily..And those blackheads too mainly around nose...and red marks I get on my cheeks...annoying lol

I would be careful taking B5 at high doses for long term as it can damage your nerves. That and B6 isnt very good in high doses unless your really deficient.

it can be frustrating but hey no one really has perfect skin...Most ppl look like they do but when you really look in proper detail I havnt seen anyone..

I found fish oil to be good but takes time to work and try eating a diff diet.

Seborrheic dermatitis or rosacea sound very suspiciously like your skin. There are other diagnoses that you could have a new derm explore, as well.

If your derm did not think you have rosacea, you might benefit from seeing a new derm who can look at you with fresh eyes and not have the history of treatments with you that the old derm has. I'm not saying the old derm is wrong or bad, it is just that with time and familiarity, a physician (even nurses) automatically assumes some things some times.

Good luck. I heartily believe that the mind has a great deal of part to play in any recovery. If you approach your problem with confidence and firm resolve that it will resolve, it very well might with the right treatment. Mind/Body connection is simply awesome. :) I see it everyday at work in my own patients. I see it in myself when I pep talk myself into succeeding at something. So go for it and win.

I believe in the mind/body connection. Im motivating myself into beating my problems. The only thing is dont fall in the setbacks trap. I been reading a really good book called Self help for your nerves from Dr claire weekes. Its really god and explains everything about how people fall into traps without realising.

Im sure we will all be able to move on eventually.

I have been dealing with acne for a long time...i have been tonnns of anti-biotics...accutane 3 times, I guess...ive tried almost any crazy idea that is found on this forum...anyway, I have always had very sensitive dry irritated skin, yet also very oily. My acne is sort of like a rash on my cheeks/face...its these little red bumps...I have a lot of blkheads on my nose and around my inner cheeks...yet my face is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE...like if I use water or anything, my face gets extremely tight right after...the only moisturizer that will make my skin feel "normal" is cetaphil due to its thick base...any other moisturizer, i.e. aveeno isn't potent enough, and no matter how much I use..it still is tight and irritated...I am curious, does anyone know if this is a skin condition? Like a chronic dryness... I have been very gentle on my skin for almost a year now...using only gentle washes, and washing once a day, and only using water in the morning...it makes no sense, why my skin reacts like this...its very dry yet EXTREMELY OILY...and prone to all kinds of breakouts...I am just curious if anyone else might be dealing with this, or has an idea of what sort of condition my skin is in?