Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Why me??

Is anyone taking both Fish Oil and green tea?

Okay I don't know how true this is, but I've read in this forum that green tea can possibly interfere with fish oil absorption. Does anyone have experience?

I've been taking 1000mg of salmon oil (one softgel) each day (300mg EPA+DHA, yeah I know it's very little) since about a month ago. I have no active acne on my face anymore (I used to have these lumpy, nodular, cystic, inflammatory acne). My oil production has decreased considerably. It still gets oily after a few hours, especially when I'm outdoors, but it's less vicuous. However I don't really know if this is because of my intake of salmon oil or because of my new healthy lifestyle (eating healthy, drinking more water, exercising, sleeping earlier, using manuka honey) as I started doing all of these almost simultaneously.

The thing is now I'm deciding to up my dosage of salmon oil to 2 softgels/day but at the same time I'm already drinking 2 mugs of green tea each day. I'm asking if taking both is not advisable because I'm not a rich guy and salmon oil aint cheap so I really don't want to waste it.

Any help would be much appreciated... NdnRomeo has helped a lot already so thank you heaps. :D

Okay I don't know how true this is, but I've read in this forum that green tea can possibly interfere with fish oil absorption. Does anyone have experience?

I've been taking 1000mg of salmon oil (one softgel) each day (300mg EPA+DHA, yeah I know it's very little) since about a month ago. I have no active acne on my face anymore (I used to have these lumpy, nodular, cystic, inflammatory acne). My oil production has decreased considerably. It still gets oily after a few hours, especially when I'm outdoors, but it's less vicuous. However I don't really know if this is because of my intake of salmon oil or because of my new healthy lifestyle (eating healthy, drinking more water, exercising, sleeping earlier, using manuka honey) as I started doing all of these almost simultaneously.

The thing is now I'm deciding to up my dosage of salmon oil to 2 softgels/day but at the same time I'm already drinking 2 mugs of green tea each day. I'm asking if taking both is not advisable because I'm not a rich guy and salmon oil aint cheap so I really don't want to waste it.

Any help would be much appreciated... NdnRomeo has helped a lot already so thank you heaps. :D

I've thought of it before, but I guess I'm really paranoid. I would think things like "If I up my dosage now and then later drop it again would my acne all come back? Would my body develop tolerance for it?" etc. Its the reason why I'm scared of experimenting... because I really dont wanna risk going back to my acne state... the cysts and nodules and inflammation were unbearable and then there will be redmarks to look forward too.

But I'll try your suggestion, though I still want to hear about people's experience about this too. Thanks. :)

If it makes you feel better, omega 3 has more of an effect than green tea because it's a better mediator of hormones than green tea is (the egcg is responsible for that) so you will have more success with a good level of omega 3 than just green tea (I put a bet on it), because it's done the same for me.

After stopping it the results have been really apparent and much better. Both together got me at 80% but that was because fish oil was really being held back to perform at full function.

Oops sorry I keep talking, I'll go now. :shifty:

I know there are alot of people taking both so they'll chime in soon =)

I read that it might also counteract with the GT so I've been taking 2 fish oil pills, 3 times a day, and 3 GT pills 3 times a day but I don't take them together, I take them a few hours apart, so one has a chance to do work on its own.

I dunno how this is stuff is working cause I started taking them a week ago, and my face looks like complete shit, I got 5 new breakouts. Then again it could be because its that nice wonderful time of the month to :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NdnRomeo you stopped taking GT for 5 days and it made a difference? Should I try and start only taking fish oil and just drinking GT? Cause I dunno if I'm getting good results from both.

I take both. If I'm about to do a bunch of cardio, I take it just before that. Studies show it greatly increases the % of energy burned from body fat. This effect doesn't really happen without combining it with cardio.

It's also a good idea because doing cardio can increase oxidation. Ironically people that spend way too much time on cardio machines without proper nutrition are actually speeding up the rate of aging, even if they are improving their cardiovascular system at the same time. Green tea is a very potent antioxidant.

I take both. If I'm about to do a bunch of cardio, I take it just before that. Studies show it greatly increases the % of energy burned from body fat. This effect doesn't really happen without combining it with cardio.

If it makes you feel better, omega 3 has more of an effect than green tea because it's a better mediator of hormones than green tea is (the egcg is responsible for that) so you will have more success with a good level of omega 3 than just green tea (I put a bet on it), because it's done the same for me.

After stopping it the results have been really apparent and much better. Both together got me at 80% but that was because fish oil was really being held back to perform at full function.

Wait, so you stopped taking green tea or fish oil? I think I've noticed that ever since I started taking them together my oil has increased. What are you currently taking NdnRomeo?

Omega 3 only. I'm at 4.2 grams (plus I'm on week 9), but once I dropped the green tea, the results just followed fast.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna drop the green tea as well. I'm at around week 4 of taking 6*1.2 grams (7.2 grams, 4.320 g of actual DHA+EPA) so I'll let you know how it works out. Also, do you know how long it takes fish oil to get out of your system? I'd rather not drop green tea completely, I've been taking one 500 mg pill each meal (for 1.5 grams a day) and I'd like to go down to one as directed if I can.

You take them both at the exact same time?

I think 1 a day with green tea would be fine, see how that works. I can see how taking a green tea with a meal can stop complete absorption of fish oil. So maybe take it during a time you are not taking fish oil. Try that. :think: