Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luppe

I can't lose weight...

My BMI is 28.3. I jog (get my heart pumping) about 20-30 mins every other day and I eat right. But i'm not dropping pounds but actually gaining them.

I did a experiment that I would eat nothing but salads one day, and I jogged about 30 mins. The next day I lost about 4 pounds. Then as soon I went back to my regular diet, I regained the pounds.

I know, I know... Eat less calories than you actually burn. But here's the thing, I do not eat any junk food at all. Everything I eat is from home. And I'm pretty sure if you add everything up, it won't pass 2000 calories, or even anywhere near that. I never eat until I'm full and the only thing I drink is water.

I've been in the same weight area since sept of last year, and if I eat nothing but junk food for a couple of days, the most I'll gain is a pound.

So what gives, what is wrong with me?

My BMI is 28.3. I jog (get my heart pumping) about 20-30 mins every other day and I eat right. But i'm not dropping pounds but actually gaining them.

I did a experiment that I would eat nothing but salads one day, and I jogged about 30 mins. The next day I lost about 4 pounds. Then as soon I went back to my regular diet, I regained the pounds.

I know, I know... Eat less calories than you actually burn. But here's the thing, I do not eat any junk food at all. Everything I eat is from home. And I'm pretty sure if you add everything up, it won't pass 2000 calories, or even anywhere near that. I never eat until I'm full and the only thing I drink is water.

I've been in the same weight area since sept of last year, and if I eat nothing but junk food for a couple of days, the most I'll gain is a pound.

You should read the book "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain. It is a pretty strict diet, but you will definitely lose all of your unhealthy fatty weight, and probably gain some muscle too. If you think you are eating healthy by eating high GI foods like Pasta, or white bread you should think again. Go to http://www.mypyramid.gov/ for the newer USDA recommendations. Even with the new USDA recommendations it is still kind of difficult to lose weight. It is much easier to lose weight by avoiding grains and eating a lot of protein, because protein causes your body to release more of a hormone called PYY that holds off hunger. Eating more lean protein and less grains will definitely help you lose weight. You also might consider getting checked for Diabetes, because in some people it can make losing weight much harder.

Another thing to consider, is lifting weights. Lifting weights does not burn a ton of calories in the short term (although it does some), but it speeds up your metabolism and helps your body allocate fats better.

Also, I heard that running for 60 min 2 or 3 times a week is much more effective in losing weight than running 30 min everyday. It has something to do with your body having to break into fat stores after a certain length of time in aerobic exercise.

Really, the most important thing to consider when trying to lose weight is that it is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix and then you can go back to eating whatever you want. I have never been overweight even in the slightest, but my brother used to be a complete fatass. A few years ago he started exercising and eating much better due to some of his stomach problems, and he lost over 60 lbs and still is exercising and eating better to this day. He is still slightly overweight, but he is continuing to lose weight and continues to exercise daily. His main problem is that he still eats quite a bit of sugary and high GI foods like pasta, and rice.

don't eat after six and make sure you eat breakfast. drink green tea.

i have the opposite problem, i can't gain weight :cry: i have bmi of an underweight person

Yea I just usually eat 2 - 3 meals a day, spreading it out might help out. I definitely try drinking lots of water before I start eating from now on. I want to see if this works.

I love this topic, I used to invest much of my time in it. Have you tried splitting daily intake into 5 to 6 meals? By meals, I mean small items. Also, Items that are complex carbs, or high protein foods work really well to keep you full for long periods of time. One of the reasons why your body gained the weight back is because it went into starvation mode, hence awaiting future energy sources to store it back. :think:

Also, drink two glasses before every meal (30 minutes before) it will curb your appetite, or at least fill your stomach up a bit tricking it.

I hope that helps some, I'm sorry if this was all common sense stuff or things you already do, just trying my best to help =)

You should read the book "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain. It is a pretty strict diet, but you will definitely lose all of your unhealthy fatty weight, and probably gain some muscle too. If you think you are eating healthy by eating high GI foods like Pasta, or white bread you should think again. Go to http://www.mypyramid.gov/ for the newer USDA recommendations. Even with the new USDA recommendations it is still kind of difficult to lose weight. It is much easier to lose weight by avoiding grains and eating a lot of protein, because protein causes your body to release more of a hormone called PYY that holds off hunger. Eating more lean protein and less grains will definitely help you lose weight. You also might consider getting checked for Diabetes, because in some people it can make losing weight much harder.

Another thing to consider, is lifting weights. Lifting weights does not burn a ton of calories in the short term (although it does some), but it speeds up your metabolism and helps your body allocate fats better.

Also, I heard that running for 60 min 2 or 3 times a week is much more effective in losing weight than running 30 min everyday. It has something to do with your body having to break into fat stores after a certain length of time in aerobic exercise.

Really, the most important thing to consider when trying to lose weight is that it is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix and then you can go back to eating whatever you want. I have never been overweight even in the slightest, but my brother used to be a complete fatass. A few years ago he started exercising and eating much better due to some of his stomach problems, and he lost over 60 lbs and still is exercising and eating better to this day. He is still slightly overweight, but he is continuing to lose weight and continues to exercise daily. His main problem is that he still eats quite a bit of sugary and high GI foods like pasta, and rice.

So basically no carb diet... but here's the thing, they say once you start eating normally again (with the high carbs) you are going to regain the weight back.

I am on the same boat as u :doubt:

Have been working out for more than a year....still, I weigh the same, and I don't see huge improvement on my body shape at all :cry:

So frustrated. Ok...went to health store yesterday, and I bought this EverLean Active Fat Burner

:rolleyes:

Gonna start taking it on Monday!

Yea man I might start looking into these "weight loss pills" if these suggestions dont work out

That is why I said it really is a lifestyle change. You need to eat Paleo for life. Just as in low-carb diets. Also, just to clarify, The Paleo Diet is not truly a low carb diet, becauses it does not limit the amount of carbs you can have, just the kinds of carbs you can have. When following the paleo diet you can eat all of the lean meat, fruits and vegetables you want, just not complex carbs or cereal grains.

Here's what I am going to do:

- Jog 30 mins everyday with my heart rate pumping

- Spread meals into smaller portions through out the day

- Drink a lot of water 30 mins before I start eating

- Stay away from complex carbs and cereal grains. (pasta, bread, rice, etc)

- Do not eat anything after 6pm

- Take green tea extracts (I don't like drinking the liquid, ewww)

I want the old me back :(

Is that u in ur personal pic?

Good Luck!

I gonna do what u do too. But, "Do not eat anything after 6pm" is so impossible for me :doubt:

Is that u in ur personal pic?

Good Luck!

I gonna do what u do too. But, "Do not eat anything after 6pm" is so impossible for me :doubt:

nope its zinedine zidane, you probably heard of him ;)

Ever seen the show Extreme Makeover or heard of Micheal Thurmond? Basically you have to find out your body type, take his blueprinting quiz. I borrowed some of his books from the library (his kit is too much $ for me) but it takes more of a scientific approach, like what foods and excercise affect YOU specifically.

Weight training will burn carbs (fast energy) but the muscle cells will continue working and therefore burn more energy and boost metabolism and that is was helps lose fat, not lifting weights itself. To really burn fatyou have to do cardio, however it has to be long periods of low intensity cardio (45-60min ideally) and it has to be within your 'fat burning' zone. What that means is just having your heart rate at the right level. So next time you go running take your pulse. Depending on your fitness level, you want it to be 50%-70% of your maximum heart rate. I have the book here with me, if you can take your resting heart rate for me (count your pulse for 10sec and multiply it by 6) and provide your age, I can check where your heart rate should be when you do cardio.

Also as mentioned earlier you can eat more often, 3 main meals and 2-3 'snacks' inbetween. That'll boost metabolism, if you eat less often then your body goes into storage mode and packs away the fat.

I agree with above you need to combine resistance exercise (weights) with cardio (running,swimming) etc. Cardio makes you a small shape of the shape you are and resistance training changes your shape. Also you say you jog every day but your body gets used to exercise so you need to change it around why not do resistance weights one day then a jog the next then resistance weights the next day then swimming the day after that so your body constantly has to adjust and doesnt get used to the exercise your doing.

Also cut the carbs down I see significant results when I do that good luck xx

Surprised no one has commented on the blindingly obvious. Cut down your calories (not by loads, but by a bit until you start to drop slowly)!!

All the above advice is totally great and wholeheartedly support it, but do that for overall fitness and metabolism in the long run. It's not going to do much short term (frequent smaller meals may do).

If you aren't losing weight on 2000 cals, drop to 1700 or something. Everyone is different, I have a very low metabolic rate and have to drop to about 1300 even to lose weight (not saying I recommend that for others, ideally you want to find your baseline rate when being active as you want to be active anyway).

Its not likely to happen on 2000 cals whatever unless you're really going for it (jogging 30 mins doesn't actually burn that many cals). May happen eventually though, and the above advice is actually very good for keeping the weight off longer term. Cardio etc doesn't actually burn many cals in respect to the amount you eat, so start with a slightly lower cal diet imo, you will drop weight its guaranteed (cardio may even promote losing it from muscle rather than fat if not careful as well with low intensity, but I always recommend some cardio in there just for fitness).

Yea I just usually eat 2 - 3 meals a day, spreading it out might help out. I definitely try drinking lots of water before I start eating from now on. I want to see if this works.

My 3 cents ;):

My friend dropped 60 pounds in 2 months on this diet. I stick to this diet, dont exercie and stay at 99 lbs. It trims weight off VERY fast.

It is free from all fats - meat, dairy, nuts, alvacados and oils (and preferablely careful on carbs). Even the leanest cut of beef is 29% fat (its in the tissue, but you cant see it). Cheese and other dairy products are 70% fat. Oils are pure fat.

Calories from 1 gram of fat:----------------Calories from 1 gram of carbohydrates:

9 Calories per gram----------------------------------4 Calories per gram

Along with this diet, they use the new research: For every 14 grams of fiber you add to your diet, you trim your calorie needs by 10%. That means, adding 40 grams of fiber to your diet will make you feel completely full and satisfied 400 calories less than usual.

The best source of fiber is bean, which have 8-9 grams of fiber per half cup.

If you want more info, there is an online FREE course on the medical website, and you can ask live questions. Just say so :).

My 3 cents ;):

My friend dropped 60 pounds in 2 months on this diet. I stick to this diet, dont exercie and stay at 99 lbs. It trims weight off VERY fast.

It is free from all fats - meat, dairy, nuts, alvacados and oils. Even the leanest cut of beef is 29% fat (its in the tissue, but you cant see it). Cheese and other dairy products are 70% fat. Oils are pure fat.

Calories from 1 gram of fat:----------------Calories from 1 gram of carbohydrates:

9 Calories per gram----------------------------------4 Calories per gram

I'm not sure how a diet based on veggies alone has ever one made any fatter. I certainly CANT get fat on it.... even my boyfriend dropped 30 pounds in a month on it. We had to add nuts to our diet to sustain our weight.

And yes, fat is essential to live, the diet recommends keeping fat at a max of 10% (the average diet is 30%)

Legend, it is rude to call someone a liar. I got my info off some medical sites.

I'm not sure how a diet based on veggies alone has ever one made any fatter. I certainly CANT get fat on it.... even my boyfriend dropped 30 pounds in a month on it. We had to add nuts to our diet to sustain our weight.

And yes, fat is essential to live, the diet recommends keeping fat at a max of 10% (the average diet is 30%)

Legend, it is rude to call someone a liar. I got my info off some medical sites.