Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xec

My quest for the perfect multivitamin

I'm looking for a multivitamin that is iron free and iodine free. It must contain a relatively high amount vitamin C and Pantothenic Acid (RDA-wise). It must be organic, natural, or form a strictly regulated company. I would prefer for it to have some goodies added like bioflavonoids, green food extracts, amino acids?

Can anyone help me find my dream multivitamin? Or tell me what you had/have success using?

Seems that MiVitality In-Liven is a probiotic, i already used a probiotic that i am extremely pleased with + i get it for free :D

The Vital Greens i am interested in, just went on the company's website, gotta research it a little. Seems that it has PLENTY of greens in good quantities, but where are the vitamins? Assuming the vitamins are IN the greens! (Obviously, but just making sure). Remember, i'm looking for a multivitamin!

Thanks for the info daanzell

I had this thought too. Also, more importantly, I want to know how can we be sure it all absorbs properly? It looks like a brick and contains all the daily nutritional needs? It's so hard to wrap my mind around.

Do you happen to know if they absorb properly?

since u want a broad spectrum multivitamin, then i reckon ur best bet is VitalGreens. Its got heaps of organic nutrients and stuff. Alot of the vitamins are sourced from the greens in it, and also there are some synthetic ones in there I THINK. its got heappppppps of things in there including green tea extract, spirulina and all sorts of other goodies.

I have read many times, that multivitamins show no help in people's health, even over a long period of time. One of the main reasons for this, is that all of things that are in the multivitamin are meant to be absorbed with the foods that they naturally come in. So, basically our bodies have not evolved to absorb them separately from whatever else they naturally come with in food. For example, Vitamin A (retinol) and Omega 3 fatty acids are much better absorbed when taken with fat, because in most natural circumstances those two nutrients would be from an animal.

I have read many times, that multivitamins show no help in people's health, even over a long period of time. One of the main reasons for this, is that all of things that are in the multivitamin are meant to be absorbed with the foods that they naturally come in. So, basically our bodies have not evolved to absorb them separately from whatever else they naturally come with in food. For example, Vitamin A (retinol) and Omega 3 fatty acids are much better absorbed when taken with fat, because in most natural circumstances those two nutrients would be from an animal.

You're so right, I was reading this article yesterday talking about that exact same thing! The water soluble/fat soluble vitamins, but since the multi has it all, it's hard to absorb it all since it's either in one or the other (or something like that). Damn this is so confusing, it's almost like learning enough to get a nutrition degree before we get down to it all.

What do you insist we do? :think:

I believe thats why a naturopath will give you vitamin solutions instead of capsules. The vitamin solutions are absorbed much better. I do well to choke down cough syrup. I dont think I could stomach the taste of liquid vitamins.

I believe thats why a naturopath will give you vitamin solutions instead of capsules. The vitamin solutions are absorbed much better. I do well to choke down cough syrup. I dont think I could stomach the taste of liquid vitamins.

Yes Lorrie, they do give you liquid vitamins. I am taking them right now, mixing it all in a bottle and sipping on it throughout the day. At first yuck! But now its been 2 weeks and I'm actually starting to get used to the taste to where I don't need the water to kick it back with.

Guest T-Virus

So are you guys telling me that taking Centrum would be completely pointless? :eh:

So are you guys telling me that taking Centrum would be completely pointless? :eh:

IMO Centrum is a pretty crap multivitamin.

The stuff I take as a 'multivitamin' is quite complicated, coz u have to take it on an empty stomach and can't eat anything for half an hour after that, which is crap for me since i dont have such time in the mornings.

Its called MiVitality In-Liven, and its a probiotic superfood that contains a saturated formula of superfoods and wholefoods (all 100% organic). Those foods are very nutrient-dense and are in their natural state. Hence, since all these vitamin/mineral dense foods are in a saturated/concentrated formula, its the same idea as taking a multivitamin, except my body will absorb 100% of it compared to 10-20% with capsule multivitamins. The MiVitality in-liven also has all 13 strains of the lactobacillus family as well as some amino acids. The formula is pre-digested by lactobacillus bacteria, therefore there is no cellulose lining on the nutrient molecules, which in effect means the nutrients are absorbed immediately without digestion, thus they are instantly bio-available.

LOL i sound like a salesman hahaha.

beware, this stuff is expensive though, and doesnt taste any good... lol

but its absolutely awesome, on the days i take it i am so full of energyyyyy and vitality its amazing.

Guest T-Virus

IMO Centrum is a pretty crap multivitamin.

The stuff I take as a 'multivitamin' is quite complicated, coz u have to take it on an empty stomach and can't eat anything for half an hour after that, which is crap for me since i dont have such time in the mornings.

Its called MiVitality In-Liven, and its a probiotic superfood that contains a saturated formula of superfoods and wholefoods (all 100% organic). Those foods are very nutrient-dense and are in their natural state. Hence, since all these vitamin/mineral dense foods are in a saturated/concentrated formula, its the same idea as taking a multivitamin, except my body will absorb 100% of it compared to 10-20% with capsule multivitamins. The MiVitality in-liven also has all 13 strains of the lactobacillus family as well as some amino acids. The formula is pre-digested by lactobacillus bacteria, therefore there is no cellulose lining on the nutrient molecules, which in effect means the nutrients are absorbed immediately without digestion, thus they are instantly bio-available.

LOL i sound like a salesman hahaha.

beware, this stuff is expensive though, and doesnt taste any good... lol

but its absolutely awesome, on the days i take it i am so full of energyyyyy and vitality its amazing.

This stuff sounds pretty good. But do you have to order it online? :think:

I agree with the theory that multi's don't absorb well.

To combat this, I take my multi with food, and I only use a multi that has green foods in it, I believe they help trick my body into thinking that I am actually eating solid meals, so my body absorbs the vitamins.

Centrum is crap, you will not digest it, upon inspection, the whole tablet is probably in your stool =/

This is what I use right now: NOW EcoGreen

It's good, it has all the essential vitamins + alot of extras, and many helpful extracts of herbs ect ect...but it has iodine in it, and a little biotin (not concerned though). I just wish it had a little more Vitamin C...

You're so right, I was reading this article yesterday talking about that exact same thing! The water soluble/fat soluble vitamins, but since the multi has it all, it's hard to absorb it all since it's either in one or the other (or something like that). Damn this is so confusing, it's almost like learning enough to get a nutrition degree before we get down to it all.

I think it is best to try and get all of the nutrients you need from food, and the ones you can't get from food (Omega 3, Vitamin D sometimes), take supplements for. I had asked my doctor a while ago about B Vitamins, because I was worried I was not getting enough, and he told me to eat red meat because it is a good source of B vitamins and also high in zinc. Another important thing to do is make sure that grains account for less than 70% of your caloric intake, because they are relatively low in nutrients and because of their phytates can decrease mineral absorption.

Green smoothies. Mix some spinach, kale and some mustard or collard greens and you'll have your multivitamin plus the extras you get from green leafy vegetables.

The only function of a mutlivitamin should be to prevent mineral deficiencies. Don't waste money on trying to get a multi with 30 different phytonutrients in it as well. That money is better spent on food.

I used to take NOW Adam, which is a great mutli, but it lacks iron. I have a history of iron deficiency anemia, and a few weeks ago I was beginning to show the symptoms again, so I switched to generic Centrum Performance. Crappy vitamin, but it does the job with minerals. Sure there's vitamins with better forms of minerals, but if you need it that bad, perhaps you should look at what you are eating first.

I think it is best to try and get all of the nutrients you need from food, and the ones you can't get from food (Omega 3, Vitamin D sometimes), take supplements for. I had asked my doctor a while ago about B Vitamins, because I was worried I was not getting enough, and he told me to eat red meat because it is a good source of B vitamins and also high in zinc. Another important thing to do is make sure that grains account for less than 70% of your caloric intake, because they are relatively low in nutrients and because of their phytates can decrease mineral absorption.

In my opinion, the only time someone should supplement with a B vitamin complex is when they have a hangover.

And what if you dont eat alot of red meat? I have a hard time digesting it so I tend to eat more chicken and pork.

Vitamin B12 is found in liver, kidney, yogurt, dairy products, fish, clams, oysters, nonfat dry milk, salmon, sardines, if you can not digest much red meat. I know that I told you in the other thread Lorrie, but the zinc supplement might be making it harder for you to digest foods and causing stomach upset, and if you eat enough meat, you should not really need a zinc supplement. Zinc is also found in some plants, but I am not sure what.

No, you dont have to. Search around in health food stores, or even pharmacies. But when I order online from www.miessenceproducts.com , it works out cheaper for me since u get a discount when u order alot.

And what if you dont eat alot of red meat? I have a hard time digesting it so I tend to eat more chicken and pork.

Isn't pork red meat anyway? :think:

No, you dont have to. Search around in health food stores, or even pharmacies. But when I order online from www.miessenceproducts.com , it works out cheaper for me since u get a discount when u order alot.

Isn't pork red meat anyway? :think:

nope, pork is "the other white meat"

There's Alive by Nature's Way. It has green foods, mushroom blend, probiotics etc, and high in other vitamins such as 1,000 mgs of C. You take 3 supposedly quick dissoving tablets per day. I'm told it's usually available in most grocery stores, but I've never seen it and had to order it.

That's what I used to take, but the tablets are large and it was hard for me to carry a supply with me to have one to take with lunch each day.

For absorbability, usually capsules or liquid are better than tablets.