Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WheatBean

Good milk substitute? Soymilk? Rice milk?

Anyone have thoughts on a good milk substitute? Over the summer I'll be buying all of the ingredients to make my meals from a grocery store, and I'm planning my shopping list. :) (and avoiding writing papers, of course!)

So far, my list (much of it from a list of "Detox" foods-- I really hope to change my diet!):

Produce:

- Green Leafy Veggies

- Lemons

- Watercress

- Garlic

- Broccoli sprouts

- Cabbage

- Fruits

- Psyllium

- Sesame seeds

Meats

- chicken breasts

- fish (salmon, perhaps?)

Refrigerator section:

- eggs

- yogurt

Other:

- Oatmeal

- Wheat bagels

- oil & vinegar (for salads!)

My acne is fairly under control with dan's regimen, but I hope to start a better diet, and perhaps that treatment will be unnecessary someday. :)

Stay away from soy.

Rice, almond and oat milks are the best.

Of the three, I would go with almond. It has the best taste, imo, and has a good vitamin e content. Rice is good too, though, and is widely available.

Thanks for the suggestion! I bought Rice milk once (enjoyed it greatly :), though I looked at the ingredients list, and it had "soy" listed, to my surprise. Thanks for the almond milk tip. :)

Almond milk is my favorite. I alternate between that and soy milk. I used to use oat milk, but sort of lost my taste for it the last time I got it.

I drink a rice milk called vitasoy protein enriched, it has no added sugar, flavours or presevative and is gluten and lactose free. It tastes pretty good, for me i found almond milk to break me out abit, perhaps due to omega 6 content, and i steer away from soy completely as it just drained all my energy and made me feel very tired.

As far as cost goes though, surprisingly if you buy a rice or egg protein powder which doesnt contain any dairy or wheat products, you will find the cost will even out to less that buying a rice milk each day, and also these protein powders generally have other vitamins and minerals including as much if not more calcium than milk, you can just mix that with water and you might find not need for the other milk unless you want added calories.

i have read that rice milk and all rice in general have a high GL, that equals more oil production to me. oatmilk might be a better option?

why the rec to stay away from soy? i drink unsweetened soy milk everyday.... :think:

Stay away from soy.

Rice, almond and oat milks are the best.

Of the three, I would go with almond. It has the best taste, imo, and has a good vitamin e content. Rice is good too, though, and is widely available.

ive been drinking soymilk for the past 4 days and had no breakouts yet

its not the best taste in the world, but i only have soymilk with cereal so thats no problem

yeah i think soymilk is a good sub for cowmilk

Stay away from nonfermented soy because it's junk food. The phytoestrogens can contribute to a number of health problems, such as fatigue, muscle tissue loss, hypothyroid.

ive been drinking soymilk for the past 4 days and had no breakouts yet

its not the best taste in the world, but i only have soymilk with cereal so thats no problem

yeah i think soymilk is a good sub for cowmilk

I have heard bad things about soy too, but if you are just trying to avoid dairy and don't really care if it is really good for you or not then I would just drink soymilk. I have tried a few different brand and all of he ones that I tried were very good. They were a lot sweeter than cow's milk, but I thought that was a good thing.

Kind of - just kind of smooth and creamy :) Excellent on strawberries! well any berry... :wub:

I can't digest milk, and don't drink any of the common alternatives because they have many negative effects on health (except maybe almond milk, but I'm sensitive to it :-().

The best milk "alternative" is kefir:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir...lastic-utensils

There are no negatives, except that it's time consuming to make your own, and the probiotic effect is not as potent with store-bought kefir. I ferment for almost 48 hours instead of the more common 24, as it reduces the kefir's lactose content.