Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vicereine

How well does mineral makeup really work?

I was up late last night and the infomercials came on, keep in mind that I don't believe 99% of the crap they advertise but this one was about mineral makeup and I've seen people on here use it (not that brand, just in general). So how well does it really work? I read this site and it sounds pretty good, particularily how quick the application is and the staying power..and I think they're supposed to cover better as well? I kind of want to test my liquid foundation with a brush since people have been getting good results with that, but this is intriguing too.

I've only tried two different brands of mineral makeup; joppa and aubrey nicole.

Overall, I think mineral makeup has great staying powder, is easy to apply, and coverage depends on brand. Pros and cons of Joppa and AN:

Joppa: the foundation has excellent coverage, but their shade selection is very limited; I never did find a shade that matched my skin tone

AN: pretty good coverage, but I need to use concealer + foundation to get the same coverage I got with just Joppa foundation. It is less expensive than Joppa. Better customer service by far.

For a week or so when I was waiting for my AN order I started using some of my old liquid, I think Loreal True Match or something like that, and I really realized by the end of the day how much it melts off compared to mineral makeup.

I have never tried drugstore mineral makeup, so another downside to the stuff I get is that I have to order it off the internet.

I use Everyday Minerals makeup and love it. I dont have to worry that i have a mask on, and never cakes. It covers wonderfully, better than my liquid. What brand was it on the infomercial? I usually see the Sheer Cover and Californian Beauty?

I tried pur minerals, i thought it looked good, great coverage and didnt make me break out. Problem is you have a choice of 3 colors, dark, medium, light. I tried medium and was told by a makeup artist that the make up looked horrible on me and made my face look orange. So yea i stopped using it.

I've only tried two different brands of mineral makeup; joppa and aubrey nicole.

Overall, I think mineral makeup has great staying powder, is easy to apply, and coverage depends on brand. Pros and cons of Joppa and AN:

Joppa: the foundation has excellent coverage, but their shade selection is very limited; I never did find a shade that matched my skin tone

AN: pretty good coverage, but I need to use concealer + foundation to get the same coverage I got with just Joppa foundation. It is less expensive than Joppa. Better customer service by far.

For a week or so when I was waiting for my AN order I started using some of my old liquid, I think Loreal True Match or something like that, and I really realized by the end of the day how much it melts off compared to mineral makeup.

I have never tried drugstore mineral makeup, so another downside to the stuff I get is that I have to order it off the internet.

Don't go for joppa-they have horrible customer service and you only get your order if you're lucky. I used Everyday Minerals and REALLY l;ike them. Fantastic customer service-fats shipping, and relatively cheap.

I like Everyday Minerals too & would recommend it. The intensive formula has a nice finish & good coverage, & I think EM has nice natural colors.

The benefits to mineral makup, IMO, are:

It helps control shine for oily skin & doesn't slide off your face like liquid tends to do. You can get good coverage without it feeling or looking heavy, so it does look more natural & less obvious. So if your skin is oily I really recommend it. I often felt gross & slimy with liquid foundation & I feel much less so with MMU.

Some people feel the more minimal ingredients that some MMU brands have is easier on your skin also. I feel like when I cover a zit with MMU the zit doesnt end up getting much worse, as it would when I used liquid foundation. Not all mineral makeup is truly only minerals; many companies that have jumped on the MMU bandwagon (especially some of the very well known makeup companies) have mineral powder foundations that are just as chock full of ingredients as any liquid foundation. Some of them even have ingredients that have irritated many people's skin here & made their acne worse (Bare Minerals is not too popular in this forum :D).

The cons: It can take some practice to master. At first it will probably take you longer to do than liquid. Once you get good at it, then applying light layers & "buffing" it in will become as quick & easy as liquid foundation. If you have acne & want to cover everything really well, no makeup will ever truly be quick. Even MMU takes some time for flawless coverage of skin that isnt clear.

Before you master it, you may find it can look cakey or powdery, just as liquid foundation can look cakey or streaky if not applied well. It is also trial & error with different brands/colors/formulas, just like any makeup. Different MMU works better for different people.

It all comes down to personal preference & needs really.

^ agreed.

And you have to try different methods of application. For example, a lot of MMU companies say to start "buffing" at the jawline and the in towards the face, but I find starting in and blending out (like a liquid foundations) works better for me.

Ok so apparently you can get a free sample?? I hope so 'cause I am so bad at picking what colour suits me. Can you apply it past the jawline too? I sometimes have a nodule appear about an inch from my jaw on my neck, could I use it there? (I think my neck is paler than my face though).

Any tips on picking a colour? I know that this ivory foundation I used was too pinky, I have an ivory beige one that seems a lot better but I can't tell if it's exact enough.

btw don't you love those infomercials? They had this woman smearing a huge blob of liquid foundation on her face lol..talk about exagerating.

edit, do they only take credit card?

Yup-they take credit card. I say start with Everyday Minerals. Get the sample set and you only pay for shipping. I'm fairly light-skinned-check out my avatar and pics for comparison to yourself (usually lightest to second-lightest) and I use "Fairly Light Neutral" in EM and Multi-Tasking Concealer.

You need a decent kabuki brush to get the coverage and proper application as well, so you might need to buy one of theirs or get one of your own. Their PREMIUM kabuki is great-the everyday kabuki is just alright. So if you're going to spend the cash-get the premium one.

They also have tutorials on the website and on you tube, etc.

I never tried Everyday Minerals but had awesome success with Afterglow Cosmetics, and they have TONS of shades. I swear by that stuff, as a dark-skinned woman with some nice hyperpigmentation to live with, I never wore makeup until I discovered Afterglow. It's great.

Yup-they take credit card. I say start with Everyday Minerals. Get the sample set and you only pay for shipping. I'm fairly light-skinned-check out my avatar and pics for comparison to yourself (usually lightest to second-lightest) and I use "Fairly Light Neutral" in EM and Multi-Tasking Concealer.

You need a decent kabuki brush to get the coverage and proper application as well, so you might need to buy one of theirs or get one of your own. Their PREMIUM kabuki is great-the everyday kabuki is just alright. So if you're going to spend the cash-get the premium one.

They also have tutorials on the website and on you tube, etc.

Any tips on picking a colour? I know that this ivory foundation I used was too pinky, I have an ivory beige one that seems a lot better but I can't tell if it's exact enough.