Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLEEEP

What to do about skin *pic inside*

I really am not happy with my skin. I already go to a dermatologist whose prescribed me Retin-A and BenzaClin, which I use together at night along with an oil-free moisturizer *morning and night*.

I do not touch my face whatsoever, and wash my face with an OTC face wash that's only has 1 -2% salistic acid.

I generally have an oily face, glossy if you prefer that term better.

Acne really is just so unpleasing to me. Is there any laser, cream, acid, pill, peel recommended that would fix up this?

post-57627-1177780172_thumb.jpg

post-57627-1177780172_thumb.jpg

hey man I have skin exactly like yours. about 2 months ago i stopped using benzoyl peroxide and retin a and also all other harsh chemicals like that. they just exacerbate the problem, trust me. what you need to try is taking ONE shower a day and in your shower use a lot spectro jel, like 8-10 pumps to wash your face. spread it all over your face with your hands then using a soaking wet washcloth (used only for your face) and scrub your face to exfoliate all the clogged pores. when you get out of the shower splash your face with very cold water to close your pores. i have seen tremendous improvement by doing this. don't moisturize your face. if you feel like you need to wash your face, just use some luke warm water and a washcloth. the key to this is not overdoing it. trust me this will work. if your face looks greasy just take a kleenex and wipe it off to soak up the oil.

i get maybe 1 pimple a week now. when i do get a pimple i either put hydrocortisone cream on it if it has not come to a head yet, or polysporin if it has come to a head.

remember once a day and keep it simple, it works !

I really am not happy with my skin. I already go to a dermatologist whose prescribed me Retin-A and BenzaClin, which I use together at night along with an oil-free moisturizer *morning and night*.

I do not touch my face whatsoever, and wash my face with an OTC face wash that's only has 1 -2% salistic acid.

I generally have an oily face, glossy if you prefer that term better.

Acne really is just so unpleasing to me. Is there any laser, cream, acid, pill, peel recommended that would fix up this?

hey man I have skin exactly like yours. about 2 months ago i stopped using benzoyl peroxide and retin a and also all other harsh chemicals like that. they just exacerbate the problem, trust me.

how long have you been using the stuff you got prescribed?

the retin-a might work (why not retin-a micro?) but i think the benzaclin becasue it has bp will make you redder and aggrivate your acne.

my advice to you, i have similiar acne/skin problems..especially the redness on the cheeks, is to use paula's choice 2% bha gel. i know a lot of people are recommending it but that's b/c it works. i've been using it for almost 3 weeks and although i'm purging a little bit, my overall skin tone is so much better and pores are clearing like mad. just use the bha with a gentle cleanser and then a moisturizer/sunscreen.. i like murad skin perfecting lotion b/c it's not greasy and feels light while moisturizing.

i tried retin-a micro and it ruined my skin so i'm bias, so try the retin-a you got if you want but give it atleast 10 weeks to see if it's working. good luck.

oh ps. the picture is kinda scary lol. the way you cut everything out.

Guest Grow To Overthrow

To me, your skin looks tired. There's definately clogging, but it doesn't quite look like the typical comedonal acne commonly associated with clogging. From the look of it, you've managed to reduce more inflammatory acne to what you currently have.

There's also scattered oiliness, indicative of hormonal acne IMO. Your sebaceous glands are absolutely still over-active. That's not to say your skin looks really bad, just that it doesn't look controlled.

Personally, i'd have first suggested Glycolic Acid products in conjunction with a good Retinol, but your regimen looks to have similar products already. :think:

Dump the SA wash, there's no point treating with something that sits on your face for 10 seconds max., it will only strip the skin (and SA washes always make your skin shine up).

My skin got to the stage yours is, and it levelled for a long time. It's frustrating, i know. My next step was a low-dose Accutane course. Fortunately, it's worked. I'm clear, have been for over 4 months now. I've suffered minimal side effects and love that my skin is so settled nowadays.

Not sure i've actually helped you at all. James.

One problem could be that you are using your retin a and benzaclin at the same time. The two kind of negate each other. You should use the retin a at night and the benzaclin in the morning. That might solve your problem.

trust me man, listen to my advice it has been working so well for me. STOP USING BP AND RETIN A. I am 23 and in my 3rd year of university biology program. If you think about what these chemicals are actually doing to your skin they are just increasing inflammation and irritation, albeit they may help your acne somewhat BUT it will never get rid of the problem and the side effects are not worth it (dryness, itching, irritation, eczema, redness, etc). You can do much better without these products. You need to allow your skin to be itself, just exfoliate your face with a soaked wash cloth in the shower.

As for the spectro jel, i use the orange bottled one which is for 'combination skin' which is what you and I both have, if you allow it to sit on your face for a minute or two the emmolients will allow you to go without moisturizer after your shower.

Another important aspect is to clean up your diet a little bit (eat more ruffage for the most part), take a multivitamin, and some EFA supplements. and most importantly exercise.

Some really interesting perspectives here.

As far as using Retina-a, I've used it for about a year now.

My diet consists of very plain foods. Lots of grains. I do take a multivitamin everyday, drink an alright amount of water, and exercise not as much as I would like to - studying and work takes a great deal of my time.

Comments to Above Posts:

Dumping the SA wash makes sense; I've asked the same question to dermatologist but he insists its very important.

Low dose Accutane, another idea I've thought about. I know it's a big process involved - blood tests, approval by doctor, and side effects.

Spectro Gel I have not heard of this? I'm going to google this up right after this post.

I'm going to read more around this site on BHA cream.

Questions:

Hormonal acne is there any type of treatment to slow, or make a change about this?

Yeah I thank everyone for replying and offering some great ideas.

I think you skin looks alright..not bad at all.

I was more scared of the blacked out eyes than anything! :)

In my opinion, (and I am not a dr.) maybe you should try something like BHA/Mandelic acid. My skin looked a lot like yours and now I'm clear using a combination of aha cleanser/green cream/BHA and Mandelic acid.

You got some good advice here and I don't want to give you yet another set of opinions to give you even more to consider.

Keep us posted or start a log though..it's always nice to see peoples progress!

Hmmm Whenever I exfiate with a washclothe or even gently wipe off the water after Ive washed my face, it aggrevates my acne. I dont know why :shrug: I just use a papertowel

Hmmm Whenever I exfiate with a washclothe or even gently wipe off the water after Ive washed my face, it aggrevates my acne. I dont know why :shrug: I just use a papertowel

I've stopped using retin-a and clindamyscin since posting here and let me tell you its looking great.

Spectro Jel is only in Canada according to their website.

So I'm using the basic Cetaphil which works great.