Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

finally at that point where i can take accutnae if i want to or stick to antibiotics and hope for the best i guess. my acne is usually mild when on antibiotics and topcials but ive been on them for about 3 years now and i know if i stop taking doxy i will break out majorly! im thankful that i dont suffer from severe acne and my herat really goes out to people that do, but im still really self conscious about my acne and although i shouldnt i get really depressed about it. im really worried about the side effects and whether it is worth risking it for mild/moderate acne but i just want something that is going to work and let me get on with my life (hopefully). i would probably only be on 30mg a day maybe going up to 40 mg but that would probably be about it. is it likely i will have any bad side effects at that dose? do you think accutane is a good idea or a bit drastic? im 20 btw. thanks

Accutane ruined my life. However for some people its totaly opposite.

But from my experience, I'd say don't take it.

I was in almost an identical place as you up to about two months ago. I was fairly clear but I would get clusters of mild/moderate acne, and it was so frustrating that the doxycycline wouldn't take care of it like it had before. I'm also 20, and it got me down that almost everybody I knew was clear but me. I finally decided to go on accutane and I'm pretty glad I did. If your acne isn't really that bad, then it's a decent chance that you won't get a bad initial breakout, and you may in fact clear up fairly quickly, like me.

I say go for it.

sevastra why do you say accutane ruined your life? did u have really awful side effects? what dosage were you on?

pink barbie, how have you found it? did it take long to clear u up?

michelshock, did u still have an initial breakout? have you had many side effects at tht dose? how long do you think you will be on it for.

sorry for all the questions!

take accutane. ask your doctor for a full course... at least 120 mg/kg.. as much as u can take for remission

end acne now..

i love accutane. im on my third month, having been taking 40 mg day. i break out less and less every month. My cheeks are my biggest problem spot and havent broken out for like.. a month now (thank god because red marks on my cheeks are true bitches). I am only breaking out now around my mouth, mainly because i already had clogged pore and small pimples there for months that are finally being purged. I am hoping to stay on 40 mg a day for at least 6 months.

finally at that point where i can take accutnae if i want to or stick to antibiotics and hope for the best i guess. my acne is usually mild when on antibiotics and topcials but ive been on them for about 3 years now and i know if i stop taking doxy i will break out majorly! im thankful that i dont suffer from severe acne and my herat really goes out to people that do, but im still really self conscious about my acne and although i shouldnt i get really depressed about it. im really worried about the side effects and whether it is worth risking it for mild/moderate acne but i just want something that is going to work and let me get on with my life (hopefully). i would probably only be on 30mg a day maybe going up to 40 mg but that would probably be about it. is it likely i will have any bad side effects at that dose? do you think accutane is a good idea or a bit drastic? im 20 btw. thanks

seems like i should probably suck it up and give accutane a go! i guess im a bit of a wimp when it comes 2 things like this! thanks for the replies, appreciate the advice!

Show some pictures. I don't know how mild your acne is.

All I'm saying is that I'm in college, and quite a few people still have some mild acne. Mild acne will not scar you, and will go away at an earlier age than severe acne.

I myself am taking accutane right now, but it was because I had moderate/severe acne to the point where I couldn't fall asleep at night because of the pain of my cysts, couldn't take a shower without my cysts bursting open and bleeding all over my towels, and couldn't smile because certain muscles in my face would squeeze cysts, giving me even more pain.

I was a rare case, and my derm didn't hesitate for 1 second to give and recommend me accutane.

I do not regret taking accutane, but if my acne was mild, I wouldn't have thought of taking it. The reason being is that you can't drink alcohol while on accutane, and you can't go out in the sun. Now this seriously limits my social life, especially now in the summer.

If you're ready to accept that, then go for it. It will cure you 100%.

The side effects are not so bad. Dry lips is the worst probably. Then there's backpains, somtimes, possible nosebleeds and eye irritation. The side effects are very endurable, and alot of people seem to be overreacting how bad they are. They're not. Side effects really aren't a good reason not to do accutane.

Besides, accutane isn't an antibiotic. You can stop at ANY time. You can decide you don't want to take it anymore, and just stop. You can even stop for a few days, and start taking it again, with no additional sideeffects whatsoever. -> This is a very big plus for accutane.

My IB never really came out, and I started to clear up from the beginning. I mostly attribute it to the tremendous relief of the anxiety I had been feeling before deciding to go onto Accutane, because I knew that eventually, accutane was essentially guaranteed to clear me up.

I do get a few cysts now and then but I think that's because I was just in the middle of exams. My side effects are mainly dryness and peeling around my mouth and dry lips. However, a good-quality chaptstick will greatly alleviate the dry lips problem, and I think it also helps to do it in the spring/summer time, when it's more humid than winter.

My dosage will be doubled next week so I'm anticipating an increase in side effects.

unnamed, not drinking alcohol and not being in the sun for a few months wouldnt bother me. i dont drink and altho i love the sun i could go without for a while if it meant having clear skin. i guess u just hear so many horror stories about accutane that it becomes a big decision when maybe it doesnt need to be. my acne is not severe, at times over the last 3 or 4 years i have had clear skin and not worried 2 much about it, but the last 8 months or so havent been that way & i guess it owuld be better 2 get it over and done with now rather than wait. 3 yrs of antbiotics cant be a good thing anyway. if i stayed at 30 or 40mg a month and just did a longer course is it likely i wouldnt have 2 many side effects? the dry skin and lips i cand handle and the joint aches or whatever but the IB would be hard and if my hair started falling out. there seems so many posts about that at the moment!

michel were you on any medication before starting accutane that u had 2 stop? like an antibiotic? i think thats where my IB might come in because id be stopping doxy.

I'd say no. Accutane hasn't helped me at all. It gave me false hope of clear skin and then did fuck all for me other than give me horrible side effects. I feel even worse about myself now, I feel so ugly and hate myself, I can't bare to look at myself or for others to look at me.

If you do go for it, don't go with massive expectations as you may be dissapointed.

sorry to hear u had such a crap time with it mx123, how was ur acne before? are u still taking it? perhaps u need a nother course sometime?

sorry to hear u had such a crap time with it mx123, how was ur acne before? are u still taking it? perhaps u need a nother course sometime?

yeah i totally get what u mean about shitty NHS. btw how often did u have to take blood tests? yr right loads of ppl improve once they've finished the course so try to keep yr spirits up! have u not seen any improvement at all? what about yr dosage?

yeah i totally get what u mean about shitty NHS. btw how often did u have to take blood tests? yr right loads of ppl improve once they've finished the course so try to keep yr spirits up! have u not seen any improvement at all? what about yr dosage?

Give it a try. If it boosts your self esteem do it. I have mild/moderate acne primarily in my tzone on my face. Before accutane I was getting terrible painful cysts. I'm almost done with my second month and since I've been taking it it's only improved my skin. I didn't have any IB at all just some small ones that popped up but no cysts. My side effects have been minimal just dry skin, hair, lips & occasionally I'm a little stiff in the joints but nothing I can't handle. At least I feel confident going out in public. Do it, it can only get better!

sorry to hear that mx123, but fingers crossed u will still see some improvement! if not perhaps other treatments owuld be more beneficial to u after accutane before maybe starting another course. the NHS does blow tho i totally agree. its crap that u dont get to see the actualy derm & just their nurses.

dani lou thanks for the positive comment. what dosage are u taking? glad uve had such good results already!

sorry to hear that mx123, but fingers crossed u will still see some improvement! if not perhaps other treatments owuld be more beneficial to u after accutane before maybe starting another course.

thanks for all the replies guys. really appreciated! i have a derm appt in about a wk so am going to say i want to give tane and go but ask if i can have a relatively low dose at least 2 start with & see how the side effects go.

platinum, ive been reading yr log as uve been going through yr course. so glad uve had such good results! im on doxy at the mo which i gather u were on before tane. hopefully accutane will be a success for me too. hope ur fab results last!

dani lou thanks for the positive comment. what dosage are u taking? glad uve had such good results already!

dani what dosage did u start on? did u have an IB? im not too fussed about the other side effects other than the 'its going to get alot worse before it gets better' type thing. i know it takes time and i wouldnt expect improvements overnight but i duno if i could handle it getting so much worse right now either

GO ON ACCUTANE!

Don't do what I did, and spend 4 years years with acne, and 3 years trying to treat it. I started with creams - didn't work, then antibiotics - didn't work, went on accutane - WORKED, but acne came back, got put on antibiotics again - didn't work, got a derm referral in january to find out i won't get an appointment till June.

I now spend an hour EVERY night, soaking, then washing, then drying, then applyin creams to my face, and I'm starting to develop emotional problems from stress n anxiety of this regimen every night and the fact i can't go out at night.

When my derm appointment does come around, and I'm demanding accutane, its my legal right and i only get this life once, and i'm not going to live it anymore with skin i'm not content with.