Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ragz999

Have you changed as a person because of acne?

Hey

How has acne affected people?

For some people they just don’t care and get on with life, but others change totally.

How has acne affected you, have you changed as a person?

Absolutely, I was a shy and kinda serious guy before (not a party animal at all), but it's gotten 1000 times worse after getting acne. Not to mention, the ordinary things that I enjoyed became things I would hate to do, like having a walk, going to the beach, just go out and breath some oxygen, and so on... I'm always trying not to talk to someone face to face, or getting to close to that person's face in fear of him making a comment about my skin. And a lot of other things.

My life can be good, but sometimes it's really a living hell.

I became so self-conscious and obsessed with how my skin is. Before I had acne, I didn't wear makeup and I didn't care at all how my skin was. I miss being that carefree.

not really, but im ugly so it makes me self-concious of my whole body, specially my clothes

If the pics in your gallery are actually you, you're FAR from "ugly."

not really, but im ugly so it makes me self-concious of my whole body, specially my clothes

Yeah...it is her in her pic!

ive changed becouse i never go outside and never give a f*** about dressing nicley and going out always looking like a bum

Dont let acne define who you are as a person. The world we live in places such an emphasis on looking good that we are forced to feel horrible about our acne. What helped me was realising how superficial and shallow this world is and that I would have no part in trying to live up to these pathetic standards of beauty. Theres more to life than your skin, its easy for me to say this but it must be done. Revolt! Dont conform, be who you are and be proud.

No I have other reasons why I am so unhappy. This is just another shitty condition to add to the shitty life I already have

sounds like me.

Disregard the quoted post, it is full of lies. :snooty:

I was a very shy and quiet guy but after my acne got worse I didn't like showing my face in public or even going out to hang out with my friends. I really want to see all my old high school buddies that I havent seen in awhile but I'm so embarrassed to face them. Especially after this one guy asked, "wtf happend to your face, did you start tweaking or something?!" I get the feeling people look at me and think wtf happend to your face. My dads been trying to introduce me to a really nice girl but I keep telling him that I'm not "ready" yet. Theres days when I think to myself dont let acne scars ruin your life, so sometimes I'll just be myself and really act outgoing. Sometimes. I've noticed that whenever I act really quiet and shy around class people think I'm a strange guy but when I do laugh and talk more, people dont seem to think that way about me. I've seen some of the members profile pictures just to compare their face with mine and I hear some of them talk about how insecure they are. I seriously dont understand how you guys are soo insecure when your face isnt even that bad. I seriously regret not enjoying my life to the fullest just because I was so insecure about my face in the past. I hope my face has reached its peak because I dont think I can handle it anymore. I'm sick and tired.

I was always quitea shy guy but not bad looking at all. But then i got acne basically all through high school for ...7-8 years? All the nights in and lonely times were pretty painful but i've found that looking back i've learnt a lot about myself. I totally agree with "RevolutionNow" that this world really is "superficial and shallow", appearances count for much more than i thought, esepcially in business where i'm headed.

I was a very shy and quiet guy but after my acne got worse I didn't like showing my face in public or even going out to hang out with my friends. I really want to see all my old high school buddies that I havent seen in awhile but I'm so embarrassed to face them. Especially after this one guy asked, "wtf happend to your face, did you start tweaking or something?!" I get the feeling people look at me and think wtf happend to your face. My dads been trying to introduce me to a really nice girl but I keep telling him that I'm not "ready" yet. Theres days when I think to myself dont let acne scars ruin your life, so sometimes I'll just be myself and really act outgoing. Sometimes. I've noticed that whenever I act really quiet and shy around class people think I'm a strange guy but when I do laugh and talk more, people dont seem to think that way about me. I've seen some of the members profile pictures just to compare their face with mine and I hear some of them talk about how insecure they are. I seriously dont understand how you guys are soo insecure when your face isnt even that bad. I seriously regret not enjoying my life to the fullest just because I was so insecure about my face in the past. I hope my face has reached its peak because I dont think I can handle it anymore. I'm sick and tired.

I totally share the part with the dad trying to introduce me to girls. He thinks it's so easy since he doesn't worry about anything and cos he used to basically be a 'player'. But i could never see how i'm ready when i knew i didn't have the confidence and i didn't like myself.

But things are better now and now threre are only a few memorable scars left which i try n ignore as well as mental scars. It's taught me that i really have to get out there and have fun. Pain/Pleasure create memories. What acne has deprived me of is pleasurable memories in my teen years. They were mostly painful memoreis and what i realise now is i have to use these painful experiences as strength and go after the pleasurable ones in life now.

Hell yea I have.

I'm WAY more self-concious and spend like 10x longer on my hair and stuff. I hate going out, and before acne I had no problem talking to pretty girls. Now I kinda just stare at the ground so they don't have to look at my face....

What I find amazing about acne and what most gets me pissed of is they say is is the most common skin condition, yet there is no 100% cure.

People are not even 100% sure why it happens, people say diffrent things.

I think much more reasearch is needed into acne.

i changed a lot..i became much more of an introvert and i didn't think that was possible! i had trouble making eye contact and i avoided all social situations like the plague.

i really admire people who don't let their acne get them down. it really doesn;t define you as a person but many people (myself included) let it.

Yeah...it is her in her pic!

because I try to upload the pics in which I look decent :P

thanks though, I guess

Disregard the quoted post, it is full of lies. :snooty:

your face is full of lies.

i love u though :wub:

No I have other reasons why I am so unhappy. This is just another shitty condition to add to the shitty life I already have

sounds like me.

same here :(

Well... this is quite difficult to answer!

I've had acne since I was around 12 years old so my personality still hadn't properly 'developed' by then. The past 6 years of my life have been great. I've made a lot of friends and had a lot of good times and I would not swap them for the world (cliche or what, eh!?)

I consider acne nothing more than an annoyance and I although I'm often a little unhappy with my appearance I'm not planning on allowing it to dictate my lifestyle anytime soon.

Thank you.

*steps off the soapbox*

Well... this is quite difficult to answer!

I've had acne since I was around 12 years old so my personality still hadn't properly 'developed' by then. The past 6 years of my life have been great. I've made a lot of friends and had a lot of good times and I would not swap them for the world (cliche or what, eh!?)

I consider acne nothing more than an annoyance and I although I'm often a little unhappy with my appearance I'm not planning on allowing it to dictate my lifestyle anytime soon.

Thank you.

*steps off the soapbox*

I really try not to make any public appearances or meet up with friends I havent seen in a long time because of what they might think of me. I have a few friends who accept me for my acne but others have neglected me after my acne got worse. One of my close friends shared the same experience during high school but after he went on Accutane or Retin A and cleared up, he seems to have forgotten how much he had to suffer because of acne.

Ditto. There's so much I don't like about the way I look. Sooo much. But it's not really a big deal. I don't know why people think they have to be good looking to be happy.

lets see...

cut out anything remotely delicious in diet

don't go out with friends because it involves eating food of questionable nutrition

have skin that can't seem to heal anymore so i have to be careful of any new spots

yes life is pretty much frustrating and horrible now

people think they have to be good looking to be happy because society tells them you MUST BE THIS WAY

tv?

radio?

movies?

magazines?

internet?

EVERYHWHERE!?

there's your reason

and this perception only gets worse as you get into your 20's instead of better as many people believe