Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kt_a

Hair Color Help

Well, I'm thinking it may be time for me to start dying my hair. I got my hair cut the other day and noticed all these silver threads that were hidden pretty well before are much more noticeable :cry:

I'm 26 and have only dyed my hair once and that was in high school. My knowledge of hair dye is pretty darn limited. Do any of you have a favorite brand that gives natural looking results? My hair color is a darker brown, I guess it might be a chestnut brown. I'd like to keep it that color or go a little darker.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Guest vegmom02

I would suggest NOT doing permanent hair color; :naughty: rather , do one that lasts through 30 hair washings. I LOVE Loreal Colorspa. My color is Amber Lightest Golden Brown, but I have seen one in the Colorspa line that sounds like your hair color that you described. Each box has a large color patch on the lid to show you about what color it will look like, plus some smaller pics on the side to show what it will look like if your hair is lighter or darker before coloring. The coloring portion does not have a strong odor and the conditioner that you put in your hair after rinsing smells great. I believe the Loreal Colorspa is being discontinued. I used to be able to get it at Walmart, but no longer. I just stocked up on my favorite color by visiting a few Eckerd Drug stores. I have also seen it at Publix grocery store. If you can't find Loreal Colorspa, another brand is Natural Instincts. I know several people who use that brand. There is a color called Gingerbread that I think you might like...I worked with a gal whose hair color was as you described yours, and that is the color she used. Finally, Herbal Essence also makes a wash-out color. I have been told by hairstylists and friends that the least drastic and most natural way to color and "blend" in gray is to use these types of colorants. Permanent hair color is, well, permanent, so if you don't like the new color, then you either have to wait for it to grow out or go get it professionally fixed. At least these types wash out after time. I did permanent hair color and regretted it. I have since gone back to my old favorite, as suggested by a hairstylist, to cover my gray and the highlights as they grow out. When my gray gets really outta control, then I will probably have to do permanent hair color. I hope this was helpful!

Yeah, only use a permanent dye if you are looking to change your hair color completely. As mentioned, a semi-permanent will blend & cover greys without making a total change in hair color; if you are going a bit darker, this is ideal also. Plus it's less upkeep as you won't end up with major roots.

Thanks for the advice!

vegmom02 - It was very helpful, thank you! I'll look for Colorspa next time I'm at Target. I'm excited to try it. Hopefully they have it. I'm not sure if we have Eckerd Drug here or not...

sephora28 - Oh my! Very good to know. I don't think purple would be my color though I'd fit right in at work! My boss is going to be dying hers back to fire engine red.

Siouxcat - Thanks for the advice; the less upkeep the better :D

In my limited experience I have found that gray hair on brown hair is hard to color. Luckily, my hair is blonde so my gray blends fairly well as long as I stay with a light blonde color. If it were me I would look into an allover color with highlights Couleur Experte

In my limited experience I have found that gray hair on brown hair is hard to color. Luckily, my hair is blonde so my gray blends fairly well as long as I stay with a light blonde color. If it were me I would look into an allover color with highlights Couleur Experte

Thanks for the help. I think I'll practice with something not permanent first :angel: but the highlights do look interesting. It's a good idea. Hmmm, I wonder if the application is pretty dummy-proof...I may just leave highlighting to the professionals!