Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

UV rays and oil production

I couldn't seem to help but feel as though exposure to the sun increases my oil exposure. Primarily because I have a 40 minute drive daily and I am in direct contact way, plus on the way back. I get oily pretty fast after that.

So I was looking it up and came across some connections

Hot sun (even though pimples tend to be less prevalent in the summer, but very hot sun may lead to dehydration and cause cracks and outbreaks). Also UV rays can intensify acne by stimulating oil production, which cause clogged pores.

Not just the sun only if you live in a tropical place (like me).....definetly the sun its the source of everything, you can get very oily just goin out of you house not even having direct exposure to the sun just walking around in a hot place.. or after the rain when the water evaporate i think that can get you and affect your oil production (in the bad way).

Sorry for my bad English.

I was on vacation in Mexico last summer, and it was VERY sunny. I'd be out in the sun and start to breakout - then after I'd get in the shade for a while I'd look clearer. However, in the summer my acne tends to look better than in the winter

Actually, it's probably due to the fact that sebum are less viscous or more 'runny' when heated. In the summer, regardly on whether you're in the sun or not, you'll be more oily.

hm, if the sun causes increased oiliness, then how does one go about reversing it? i thought oiliness was only controlled by hormones? well, if my skin's oiliness was caused by the sun and not my hormones, shouldn't it be reversible? any thoughts? :think:

Let me just put in a plug here for wearing a hat with a brim. Not only does it shield your skin from the sun, you get complete strangers coming up to you on the street regularly to tell you how great you look. :D

hm, if the sun causes increased oiliness, then how does one go about reversing it? i thought oiliness was only controlled by hormones? well, if my skin's oiliness was caused by the sun and not my hormones, shouldn't it be reversible? any thoughts? :think:
I couldn't seem to help but feel as though exposure to the sun increases my oil exposure. Primarily because I have a 40 minute drive daily and I am in direct contact way, plus on the way back. I get oily pretty fast after that.

So I was looking it up and came across some connections

Hot sun (even though pimples tend to be less prevalent in the summer, but very hot sun may lead to dehydration and cause cracks and outbreaks). Also UV rays can intensify acne by stimulating oil production, which cause clogged pores.

http://www.chennaionline.com/health/Homoeo...004/pimples.asp

UV rays can cause your skin to overproduce oil (sebum)

I really don't think the sun affects my oil production at all. I can get sweaty if in the sun for an extended period of time, but not really oily. It probably does affect oil production somewhat, it just probably is not very noticeable for me. I think that most people's oil production drastically decreases overnight so it is hard to say that it is the sun. Also, as people have talked about before, oil production does not necessarily produce acne. The contents and how viscous your sebum is has a lot more to do with acne and clogged pores.