Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RomaGirl

Extreme Makeover Team

The Extreme Makeover doctors seem to do miracles on people who have some serious problems, and I have seen people on there that used to have worse skin then mine come out with plump, scarless, flawless, smooth skin.

Are these docs only in Cali? How come these procedures don't seem to be available to the greater plastic surgery community.

I am thinking of going to Cali to get something done if I have to, but I cannot really believe that only Cali has such awesome docs & procedures.

I live in NC, does anyone know a great plastic surgery doc??

There are fine dermatologists everywhere. I used to go to the EM's derm office in Santa Monica, and it was a factory-like place that overcharges compared to other area derm offices, and you never actually get to see the dermatologist unless you're a celebrity or extremely wealthy. It's not worth it.

Go to a dermatologist that has trained in dermatology. Lately a friend accidentally went to an ER dr who got supplemental training in dermatology and called himself a dermatologist.

In my original post I was referring to the show "extreme makeover"

If anyone has seen it, you know that those docs are the best & use techniques I don't hear much about in this forum or at my docs office

I was really talking about those types of docs who happen to be in Cali, but there has to be others out there, my skin is really getting on my nerves & need some plastic surgery but I do want the best, how can I be for sure I'm getting the best

Is price an indicator of quality? location?

Its so confusing because I want the same results I see on that show, but not really go to those particular docs, unless I must

I went to the Santa Monica dermatologist (rather not say her name for fear of being sued) who used to be prominently featured on that show, from '04 to '05, doing 7 Smoothbeams, 2 PDTs, and a lot of SkinMedica peels and microderms (called Diamond Peel) in between.

It's possible that they have newer procedures now, but at the time they didn't have techniques that other places didn't have. For me they recommended Fraxel, only after I saw a blue-tinted, older woman and asked her about her treatment, which she said promoted collagen growth but was very painful. Two years ago, Smoothbeam was still thought to promote collagen growth.

It was the usual derm office: Fraxel, IPL (photofacial), Smoothbeam, PDT, bluelight, spa treatments. The last time I went there was '05, and they were charging $1400 for Fraxel with no package deals (basically every dr here charges $1000 usu in package deals, but not always, two years later). Not only did they make you wait, parking was time-dependent and always close to $10 every visit.

What's more is that *estheticians* (not even nurses) did all my laser and spa procedures. Other places at least have nurses working the lasers at cheaper prices. They do have a nurse practitioner on hand to diagnose skin disorders and write prescriptions for the masses. Before, they had a young dermatologist for the masses, but she moved on to start her own private practice.

If you live in or near a large city, your dermatologist will probably have the same lasers available.

I think it's hype and you're better off seeing a dr that doesn't need to advertise on TV like that, but their list of drs has dermatologists from around the country: http://www.ienhance.com/alldoctors.asp

http://www.ienhance.com/extreme-makeover-participants.asp

Subaru,

I really appreciate the advice. I'm sort of desperate & I'm willing to pay big bucks but only if it is worth it. My derm is pretty good & also has a local plastic doc. I did the NLITE with them & my skin is so damaged & looks so terrible that I kind of lost confidence in them, although not sure that they could have foreseen my negative consequences to the NLITE. Anyway, I just started Accutate so I cannot do anything until 6 months after the treatment anyway.

I'm really so depressed about my acne scars that I really feel like a freak & cannot wait to do something about it.

These guys on Extreme Makeover seem to do miracles but I guess any reputable & good plastic doc should be able to give me comparable results. Thanks for the info!!

The Extreme Makeover doctors seem to do miracles on people who have some serious problems, and I have seen people on there that used to have worse skin then mine come out with plump, scarless, flawless, smooth skin.

Are these docs only in Cali? How come these procedures don't seem to be available to the greater plastic surgery community.

I am thinking of going to Cali to get something done if I have to, but I cannot really believe that only Cali has such awesome docs & procedures.

You know it is true that unless you're well known in some circles, really really rich or a celeb you're not going to get a fair treatment a lot of times. I mean even if you saved up the dough, its very likely that a derm will not really care enough to "fix you up" but rather to just take your money and keep trying to milk the cow until shes dry. Its really twisted how yeah if you saved the right amount of money you can get the car you wanted or something else that you wanted but for skin that you wanted, sometimes even MONEY cant buy it.

Don't forget that lighting is a miracle worker. I get more extreme makeover from the right lighting than from all of the scar treatments I've had combined. On TV they are experts at beauty lighting. Seriously, those lights make everyone's skin look flawless.

IS that show still going on? I used to loveee watching that show because it made me feel soo good watching how much those people changed. I want to go to Extreme makeover without cutting the skin.

I've heard good things about Dr. Ricciardelli on Shipyard Boulevard. He's in the Summit Cosmetic Surgery Center. I went to him for a consultation on my scarring once. You know what he said when I asked about collagen injections/laser resurfacing/dermabrasion? He said, "You would want a longer lasting procedure than collagen injections and I can't guarantee that you'd like the end results. If you still want collagen injections in a few years when the price goes down, you could consider it. (This was more than 13 years ago). Dermabrasion has risks that you would not want. Laser resurfacing is risky, too. But...here I'm talking as a man. You are a beautiful young woman. No one sees your scarring when they look at you. You REALLY don't need anything done." So. That's the kind of surgeon he is. Try him out. :)

Romagirl, I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience there. Perhaps they have changed over the years. It has been many years since I was there, I went to Dr. Riccardielli's old place on Medical center drive, I think that's where his old office was.

Romagirl, I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience there. Perhaps they have changed over the years. It has been many years since I was there, I went to Dr. Riccardielli's old place on Medical center drive, I think that's where his old office was.

The plastic surgeon (Dr. Ricciardelli) is the one whom I consulted with. I got a referral to him from my dermatologist, Dr. Tanner at Wilmington Health Associates. Dr. Ricciardielli did have his own practice waaay back when if I remember correctly. Evidently he's decided to go in with a dermatologist as well. Interesting.

Riccardielli was quite good and he got some very high reviews from other people.

Another plastic surgeon is Dr. Cummings at Kinston Plastic Surgery. That's in Kinston, so about 2 hours drive away from Wilmington. I knew several ladies where I used to work who had work done by him. Granted, he did more breast augmentations than anything else...so I don't know if he'd do great with other stuff. Perhaps.

I cannot remember at all the name of the plastic surgeon who did a friend's blepharoplasty. Her eyes look gorgeous. Hmm... Dr. Snow??? I think someone at work had her augmentation done by that same doc, so I will ask on Monday.

if you go to any of those famous doctors, none of them will operate on your face, you will end up seeing one of their "helpers", unless you are someone famous, then they will cut the 6 month waiting list for you and the doctor will personally treat you.

BS if you ask me....and the girls/receptionists at office's like that have attitude, they think they are such high class. Come on