Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ed1747

Going off the regimen

I have used Dan's regimen for a couple of years with great success.

However, around last November I wandered whether I still needed to use it. Due to the expense and effort involved in the regimen I deicided to give it a go not following it and just cleansing each morning.

I continued not to use the regimen throughout November and December during which time I suffered very few spots and therefore thought it wasn't necessary for me to do it any more.

However.... throughout January I had all sorts of problems - pretty well the worst acne I have ever had! So would there be a delay before I suffered the effects of going of the regimen?

I have started using the regimen again and my skin is starting to get better but is it not as good as it was when I first went off it in November.

If anyone can shed any light on this or provide any advice it would be much appreciated.

How is your diet? If you are eating sugary foods and greasy foods, try and cut down. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and eat fresh vegtables and fruit. Should help some.

Some people start breaking out right away, while it may take others more time. I can be fine for a few weeks then the breakouts gradually come and get worse over time.

I think it can take the bacteria some time to build up to large numbers enough to cause big problems.

Guest WhiteWater

Just as it takes about 3 months for skin to be changed by BP to get rid of acne, it takes about same amount of time for skin to revert back to 'normal', and unless your hormones have settled down, along comes the acne again.

BP is basically a very powerful exfoliant, hnce the crazy flaking, and it takes 3 months for the full effect of this to be realised.

I'd think your acne would come gradually back, though probably faster than the time it took you to get clear since it's not like most people who quit the regimen ramp the BP down before stopping. If you have pretty bad acne in January and restarted the regimen after that (in February?), since it's mid-April now, I'd think you'd be pretty close to clear, though probably not perfectly clear since most people take several months to clear up when starting from scratch. Also, your old acne would have left some red marks and what, so even if you had no bumps your skin probably wouldn't look flawless now. All in all, it sounds like your experience going off the regimen and back on is pretty normal. I think your skin will continue to get better the longer you've been on the regimen again, too.

the skin cycle takes usually 6 to 8 weeks, that's ho long it normally takes for the skin to renew itself, and how long it normally takes to start seeing results from an acne treatment. so, it would probably take that long to see the acne come back after stopping treatment.

about 4 weeks ago i stopped using benzoyl peroxide. started using just a cleanser and a moisturizer. now 4 weeks later the acne is starting to come back. i have 3 white heads forming and a larger zit forming on my left cheek. back on the regimen i go.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It seems that my experience is not unusual. Two months still seems a long time period for the effects to kick in, but I guess there may have been other influences. I spent much of this time in Australia - I think the warm weather is good for my skin.

How is your diet? If you are eating sugary foods and greasy foods, try and cut down. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and eat fresh vegtables and fruit. Should help some.

Guest WhiteWater
Thanks to everyone for their comments. It seems that my experience is not unusual. Two months still seems a long time period for the effects to kick in, but I guess there may have been other influences. I spent much of this time in Australia - I think the warm weather is good for my skin.

Interesting. I thought the common belief was that diet had no effect of acne???

I stop using regular BP on a daily basis around NOV and DEC of last year too... I broke out a lot because of it, and no I am no longer breaking out. I cut out the juice for good this time. And I'm clearing up in a alarming rate.

Acne products because of this do more harm than good to your face.

maybe instead of going completely off the regimen, just do it less frequent. try once every other day.

Guest WhiteWater

Only lowering calories, which reduces testosterone and thus reduces sebum, has an effect on acne.

Certain foods etc has no effect unless rarely a person has an allergy and then it manifests itself as a rash or very small surface papules.

As for coffee and tea, this is really more to do with drinking them hot which doesnt help the look of the skin as it becomes red from flushing, iced tea for instance is fine.

You have high levels of testosterone plain and simple.

Become a vegetarian if u want to get rid of the anabolic state.

But Id rather be sociable and love meat and loadsa other anabolic stuff!

Yea, I went off the regimen and it was only about two weeks and I started noticing all kinds of new stuff coming up.