Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LivesInABox

It worked well for a while

Hi all,

First off i should thank Dan for this site & msg boards - it's a great place to see what everyone else is trying and what works for them. A little bit about me first, i'm 32 and totally sick of battling acne since my early teens. My acne varies quite a bit, sometimes it's mild, others it's quite severe. I've tried just about everything otc and some prescription stuff and even though some things work for a while, nothing gets me clear and keeps me clear.

I've used products containing bp before with some success, but had never tried using just a bp gel. Following DK's regimen as close as possible (I'm from the uk so picking similar products took a bit of doing). I took it easy at first, as i have fairly sensitive skin. At first it worked great after a week there was noticeable, apart from a bit of redness and dryness. After a few weeks i was fairly spot free, with just the odd new small single spot trying to appear, but the redness was still there - but bearable.

After a few months, i notice more spots trying to come through - mainly red bumps, some appearing in new places (away from the usual areas i get spots that i was using the bp on). So I started using more bp over a wider area (I had originally been only using a small amount concentrated on the main areas i get spots...around the mouth and chin). Now this worked in a fashion, but seemed to irritate my face and make it extremely red and quite sore. And again, this worked for a while even though the redness was highly visible and i couldn't find anyway of reducing it.

8 months down the line from the time i started with the bp gel, i had another big breakout, this time on my forehead - which is somewhere i never had any spots before. This leaves me with a choice which seems to be spreading lots and lots of bp gel all over the place (which i don't like as i'm not convinced bp is good for the skin in general) and having a red face, or leaving off bp to find something else. I'm just curious if this happened to anyone else, of if they had to up the amount/area over time. And how safe does everyone feel that bp is?

Anyway, now i'm looking at possible internal causes. and diet/supplements that may help from the threads on these forums. I don't expect an overnight cure like most people, i'd just be happy with a gradual improvement.

Dave

How much BP did you end up using? Also, you could try Aloe Vera at night which really helps redness. My redness pretty much went away after about 2-3 months. At the 3rd month it was still a little red, im not sure how red yours was/is, so i started using egg white masks, and the baking soda/acv regimen. This really made my skin all the same color and redness completly subsided. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything.

How much BP did you end up using? Also, you could try Aloe Vera at night which really helps redness. My redness pretty much went away after about 2-3 months. At the 3rd month it was still a little red, im not sure how red yours was/is, so i started using egg white masks, and the baking soda/acv regimen. This really made my skin all the same color and redness completly subsided. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything.

Well I'm not using it myself but I also thought 'how good can it be to absorb all this BP', I read a link someone posted around here somewhere that said it's been used for acne like 30yrs and they haven't found it to cause anything or be a problem.

"BP attacks the acne, not the cause of the acne..."

Yeah there's no 'cure' but what I learned from here is it oxidizes the skin and the specific acne bacteria can't survive in the presense of oxygen.

"Dryness can cause more sebum and cause more spots?"

I'm not 100% sure but maybe the skin senses it's too dry and it triggers it to produce more, although seems most say their skin is always dry on this so maybe not.

"Some researches show that benzoyl peroxide can cause premature skin ageing, slow healing and can increase skin cancer risk..."

I think the dry skin is what might affect the aging, but yes I've read on here that the BP does slow healing...if the healing is a problem for you, you might want to read the thread floating around about Sudocrem, it's for diaper rash but a lot of people there claiming that it speeds their healing up (the zinc is what helps), I plan on trying it myself.

As for cancer...when I started using this one face wash that had BP in it my mom looked it up in some book of hers that mentioned it's unknown but may link to cancer or something to that affect...but there's so many things people saying such and such causes cancer these days and it's just myths and everyone believing it. I don't know if it does or not but 30yrs and no evidence of it sounds pretty good.

Hey Dave,

I would suggest trying another brand of BP just to make sure its the BP irritating your skin and not another ingredient. Some brands of BP make me red raw while others don't have that effect. The redness is over irritation and therefore maybe the cause of the breakouts.

If you're in the UK I recommend Oxy on the spot. If you're in the US then maybe try Neutrogena on the spot.

I'm 27 and suffered since I was 12 I guess. I've tried the whole diet thing and it's never actually fixed my skin. BP was the best I'd tried but never kept my skin 100% clear.

I'm now using accutane as I was just sick of the struggle and wasn't looking forward to a lifetime of applying creams.

As I say try another brand of BP, it may well be another ingredient in the makeup of the gel causing the redness.

Guest WhiteWater

As has been mentioned differing brands of BP can give different results. For instance Brevoxyl, Solugel-4 I use has no redness or irritation. Panoxyl I had trouble with. Everyone is different. BP is the best acne medication, safety and effective wise. It must be treated with respect though.

Although not recommended you may want to cleanse with Salicylic acid 2% cleanser before hand to exfoliate skin for better BP penetration and to also help non-BP areas where bacteria may 'flee' to. Bacteria tend to choose the most sebum rich areas, but I have found as have others will retreat to lesser areas. It is harder for them in those areas and milder techniques such as salicylic acid helps.

As for internal remedies, Zinc (not oxide, use sulphates, gluconates and citrates), omega-3 and nicotinamide are the only clinically proven ones that work more than placebo. Go for sustained release vits/minerals as these are absorbed in intestines and dont fight each other in the stomach. High dose vitamin A and Accutane also work but are not safe compared to Zinc,O-3 and nicotinamide.

You got to get your shaving routine right. This area alone complicates acne. Do you wait a day or 2 or shave every day? Wet shave or electric? There is plenty of information and tips but BP, AHA or Salicylic acid based seem to help this as well.

A moisturizer containing an AHA usually lactic or mandelic acid as some find glycolic is harsh with BP, should also be used. Petrolatum (Vaseline Petroleum Jelly) by itself or within moisturizers takes care of flakes. By itslef applied twice a day whilst greasy was found surprisingly to reduce acne and not block pores.

As for diet... Well reducing calories is the only clinically proven way to reduce acne, which works by reducing testosterone and hence sebum levels. Other complication such as Xerosis can occur and depression.

Another less well know supplement for acne is ibuprofen. In studies it was found to be surprisingly effective in conjunction with other therapies. Antibiotics tend give results by their anitinflammatory nature rather than antibacterial. However resistance is a problem, so using an NSAI such as ibuprofen would make more sense. The side effect profile is no worse. Long term use of ibuprofen or aspirin is relatively safe although it should be discussed with your Doctor beforehand.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your replies...at least it seems other people have seen similar things to me, and have the same questions about bp - which is good to know.

As has been mentioned differing brands of BP can give different results. For instance Brevoxyl, Solugel-4 I use has no redness or irritation. Panoxyl I had trouble with. Everyone is different. BP is the best acne medication, safety and effective wise. It must be treated with respect though.

Guest WhiteWater

I should also mention that building up topical medications gradually is also the key to success in any regimen. People dive in with twice daily app of alot of BP and get literally burnt.

I think Dan should have videos of how you should start first week. A pea sized amount only at night. There would be far more success if that was made as part of the regimen!

I should also mention that building up topical medications gradually is also the key to success in any regimen. People dive in with twice daily app of alot of BP and get literally burnt.

I think Dan should have videos of how you should start first week. A pea sized amount only at night. There would be far more success if that was made as part of the regimen!