Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smuckers

Dry Skin & Bad Acne

Hi, so many people talk about how they have an oil problem. It seems like that is the main cause of acne for a lot of people on here. They say they have to use blotting sheets a lot, and how their meds help control their oil. I never had oily skin, if anything, I have dry skin. Are there people out there with DRY skin and bad acne? I get tons of bad cysts, I think my problem is more hormonal, but nothing helps me. I'm on BC and spiro, and most people on spiro say they really see it "reduce their oil," but again, that's not my problem. Do you think the spiro will help me anyway? So far not seeing any good results, my skin's worse than before the spiro, but it's only been a month.

Hey Smuckers,

Yep i have the exactly the same problem my skin is dry and have bad acne.

Im lost im not sure what to do, im thinking of getting laser treatment of a skin peel.

ive tried microdermabrasion and its shit for bad acne...makes it worse.

Hi smuckers, well acne is not caused by oily skin is caused by 2 factors, hormonal imbalance and a toxic sistem. you should give a try to what Freshprince said, then if you are interested, have a look to this books: "your last acne solution" and "acne cured" both are greath and you can get them on emule.

cheers

Hi smuckers, well acne is not caused by oily skin is caused by 2 factors, hormonal imbalance and a toxic sistem. you should give a try to what Freshprince said, then if you are interested, have a look to this books: "your last acne solution" and "acne cured" both are greath and you can get them on emule.

cheers

I drink green tea almost daily, and I used to take fish oil but it never had any result and plus it tasted AWFUL, and after I took it I felt like I could taste it all day. Ewww. I've tried looots of things. I've also been taking hyaluronic acid as a supplement for months but haven't really seen results from that. And I never had any results w/ antibiotics either. I think I am starting to see some results with my spiro/ACV though.

Acne at its root is a hyperheratinization disorder meaning skin cells don't shed properly and bunch up thus clogging pores. I don't believe sebaceous oil causes acne, but it definitely can exascerbate it.

The biggest thing for those with dry skin is to not dry it out any more. This will only compound problems. Exfoliants can aid the skin by helping with the shedding process. If your skin is dry, the barrier function of your skin is struggling to retain moisture so you need to use moisturizers with good occlusives; these will form a barrier on your skin that will seal in moisture and help stop evaporation. The best and cheapest one is pure Vaseline. Use it at night. It is totally non-comedogenic and non-irritating (look it up).

As far as dietary supplementation goes, FISH OIL. You said you hated it, get over it. One of the most common symptoms of omega-3 deficiency (the beneficial compounds in fish oil) is DRY SKIN. Fish oil also calms inflammation. It is absolutely the best supplement for acne and human health in general. It wards off an incredible amount of human disorders, both physical and mental. Higher quality fish oil have almost no taste (the crappier the quality, the worse the taste). If you absolutely cannot tolerate liquid fish oil, get the gel cap pills and take anywhere from 2-4 grams of omega-3's a day (6-12 grams of fish oil, 6-12 pills a day). That's it for now. Too tired to elaborate further.

I wouldn't care how bad anything tasted that helped my acne, but I took a whole bottle of fish oil over a month, month and a half, and I never saw any improvement. How long should I keep spending the money and enduring the taste before seeing results?

I wouldn't care how bad anything tasted that helped my acne, but I took a whole bottle of fish oil over a month, month and a half, and I never saw any improvement. How long should I keep spending the money and enduring the taste before seeing results?

I have the same problem and it totally sucks doesn't it?

They say that people with dry skin won't suffer from acne but will suffer from wrinkles when they age. Then they say that people with oily skin will have acne but won't have any wrinkles. So doesn't that put me in the shittiest situation possible? Dry skin, acne AND wrinkles??

I find that many times dry skin DOES cause acne. What happens with me is that since my skin is already very dry, when I use acne products (such as tea tree oil cleansers), which main goal are to remove oil from your skin, my skin becomes super dehydrated and in hours my face starts to get oily. My face becomes shiney from the oil, but it feels dry! I'm sure you know what I mean -- having flakey dry skin, but having it feel heavy and oily.

Try to moisturize more. I noticed that when I started to moisturize, acne started to go away. We all get the idea that moisture = oily = acne. But that is totally different for us who have acne AND dry skin. It really is a whole new ball game.

I would also recommend a good scrub, as dry skin flakes and dead skin cells that aren't sloughed away from our skin WILL clog pores.