Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ConfusingWorld

Exfoliating... mechanically vs chemically

What's more effective when it comes to exfoliating, mechanically (scrubs, loofahs, beads, brush, etc.) or chemically (salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic, etc.)? and can you state the pros and cons for each.

Your replies would be greatly appreciated! :)

Mechanically,

Pro: I use clarisonic, the brush works wonders. The brush cleans your face well, and leaves it soft to the touch. The brush takes off any dead skin/cells and washes your pores thoroughly. (I also use a organic cleanser, containing vitamin b5 and aloe vera.)

Con: The brush can aggravate the skin too much depending on your skin type.

-------------------------------------------------

Chemically,

Pro: Kills the bacteria, helps dry up current acne, controls oil to a certain extent.

Cons: Doesn't clean, the Bp could clog if not cleansed properly. Doesn't effectively get rid of dead skin cells. The use of bp may prolong the healing process since it destroys all the good oils/bacterium on the face. Can cause lots of drying/peeling.

---------------

The solution?

I would use both.

Mechanically,

Pro: I use clarisonic, the brush works wonders. The brush cleans your face well, and leaves it soft to the touch. The brush takes off any dead skin/cells and washes your pores thoroughly. (I also use a organic cleanser, containing vitamin b5 and aloe vera.)

Con: The brush can aggravate the skin too much depending on your skin type.

-------------------------------------------------

Chemically,

Pro: Kills the bacteria, helps dry up current acne, controls oil to a certain extent.

Cons: Doesn't clean, the Bp could clog if not cleansed properly. Doesn't effectively get rid of dead skin cells. The use of bp may prolong the healing process since it destroys all the good oils/bacterium on the face. Can cause lots of drying/peeling.

---------------

The solution?

I would use both.

I agree except for the BP thing. BP doesn't actually exfoliate the skin but rather kills the bacteria.

Active acne = chemical

Healed w/redmarks = mechanical alternating w/chemical

What's more effective when it comes to exfoliating, mechanically (scrubs, loofahs, beads, brush, etc.) or chemically (salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic, etc.)? and can you state the pros and cons for each.

Your replies would be greatly appreciated! :)

Mechanically:

-scrubs etc gives you fast instant smoother skin when your skin is a tad flaky and you have somewhere special to go within the next few hours.

But I've been told constantly to avoid scrubs as it aggravates your skin.

Chemically:

-Glycolic does wonders for me. It has helped clear a lot of the blackhead on my nose, cheek and under my chin.

-Helps your skin renewal itself

-To some extent, it does help control your oil and I find that my lotions etc absorb into the skin a lot easier

-There is no scrubbing involved, just need time to wait for it to absorb into the skin before you wash it off.

-comes in different strength.