Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ronnie_bb

My Dermatologist said....

Our reflections in mirrors/windows and images captured on digital camera, magnifies scars, thus making them more promminent to ourselves, given we scrutinise our faces on reflective surfaces, while others don't.

My parents always insisted they couldn't see my scars the way I do - whenever I showed them my blemishes in front of a mirror, window or in various photos, they always insisted they're not that bad when perceived in person.

I'd like to believe him, and while it would be comforting to learn he may be correct, I still have the perception my scars are as bad as I think they are. As the saying goes "mirrors don't lie." With that in mind, I've posted various topics/replies across these boards regarding the possible altered/distorted perceptions in such circumstances, so perhaps he is right after all?

Lol does it really matter that YOU or I percieve the blemishes as something significant when they are what they are? If you are not satisfied with them then you have every right to try and fix them. Forget what everyone says. To say its "not that bad" for me would be like giving in. I dont ever want to do that.

That is a very valid point ronnie. To add to it, I wish to post about something i noticed recently.

I sometimes take the elevator of my apartment block and it has this nasty florecent light and big mirror. It seems to show up every line, pock mark, etc, on my face, but of course i cant help but take a look to see, even though know ill feel a bit down after. Anyway.. I know a very beautiful (but around late 40's) Thai lady...and bumped into her coming out of the elevator. For a second i was a little shocked at how much older and lined she look..until that is, she stepped out into the natural light of the foyer, where she looked her pretty self again.

Sometimes our reflections are NOT in our mind..and DO look bad...but not so much under normal circumstances.

Lighting definately (as often stated) is the key factor.

Well..i dont go around thinking that my pretty thai friend is less beautiful because of some bad lighting that did her face a dishonour. So, try not to be so harsh on yourself either.

Remember that Seinfeld episode where the women Jerry was dating only looked in some light but awful in other light...it was a good episode (funny).

Anyways, I agree that it is not as bad as we think but I am always wondering what people see me as (am I in good light or bad). It is enough to drive you mad in many circumstances.

Our reflections in mirrors/windows and images captured on digital camera, magnifies scars, thus making them more promminent to ourselves, given we scrutinise our faces on reflective surfaces, while others don't.

there a lady that works in the taco bell drivethough i go to once in a while that had a lot of deep pit and rolling scars on her face. to me as a guy it's disgusting to look at and i don't find it attractive at all. so in my opinion i think people try to sugarcoat things just to make people feel better. im gonna try to get rid of all my scars once my ance goes away no matter the cost. looks are everything!

there a lady that works in the taco bell drivethough i go to once in a while that had a lot of deep pit and rolling scars on her face. to me as a guy it's disgusting to look at

there a lady that works in the taco bell drivethough i go to once in a while that had a lot of deep pit and rolling scars on her face. to me as a guy it's disgusting to look at

maybe if we could accept other people we could accept ourselves?

there a lady that works in the taco bell drivethough i go to once in a while that had a lot of deep pit and rolling scars on her face. to me as a guy it's disgusting to look at and i don't find it attractive at all. so in my opinion i think people try to sugarcoat things just to make people feel better. im gonna try to get rid of all my scars once my ance goes away no matter the cost. looks are everything!

Well based on your useless comment buddy...im guessing that your a misguided, misinformed and very delusional douchbag who lives in a fantasy world created by faries and elves. If you'd bother to actually look at a profile once in a while you'd hopefully see that im 25 years of age. I've lived with this condition for over 10 years and i see reality for what it really is unlike some apparently. :rolleyes:

HaHaHa....look what i just pulled from one or YOUR posts! Looks who's talking there big guy...lol! Case in point

"I would lie in bed at night before falling asleep and wish I had a magic wand to eliminate them, so I could be happy and not as self-conscious."

Well based on your useless comment buddy...im guessing that your a misguided, misinformed and very delusional douchbag who lives in a fantasy world created by faries and elves. If you'd bother to actually look at a profile once in a while you'd hopefully see that im 25 years of age. I've lived with this condition for over 10 years and i see reality for what it really is unlike some apparently. :rolleyes:

HaHaHa....look what i just pulled from one or YOUR posts! Looks who's talking there big guy...lol! Case in point

"I would lie in bed at night before falling asleep and wish I had a magic wand to eliminate them, so I could be happy and not as self-conscious."

Both extreems are unheaIthy ways of thinking. Sugar coating everything is deIusionaI, but thinking "Iooks are everything" is aIso.

Of course we wish to correct scarring and Iook our bests, for indeed, why wouId we be here.

PeopIe shouId not focus on their Iooks as a measure of their seIf-worth (or others), but Iooking ones best, or trying to correct something that we find unsightIy is normaI and i guess in some way its showing respect for ourseIves to care enough about how we appear to ourseIves and others. Being obsessive about our appearance (of which i am guiIty of at times) is what we shouId aim to steer cIear of.

We aII have the same common goaI here, and there reaIIy is nothing to be gained from insuIting each other or trying t o pick hoIes in opinions expressed.

Both extreems are unheaIthy ways of thinking. Sugar coating everything is deIusionaI, but thinking "Iooks are everything" is aIso.

Of course we wish to correct scarring and Iook our bests, or indeed, why wouId we be here.

PeopIe shouId not focus on their Iooks as a measure of their seIf-worth (or others), but Iooking ones best, or trying to correct something that we find unsightIy is normaI and i guess in some way its showing respect for ourseIves to care enough about how we appear to ourseIves and others. Being obsessive about our appearance (of which i am guiIty of at times) is what we she aim to steer cIear of.

We aII have the same common goaI here, and there reaIIy is nothing to be gained from insuIting each other or trying t o pick hoIes in opinions expressed.

My parents always insisted they couldn't see my scars the way I do - whenever I showed them my blemishes in front of a mirror, window or in various photos, they always insisted they're not that bad when perceived in person.

I'd like to believe him, and while it would be comforting to learn he may be correct, I still have the perception my scars are as bad as I think they are. As the saying goes "mirrors don't lie." With that in mind, I've posted various topics/replies across these boards regarding the possible altered/distorted perceptions in such circumstances, so perhaps he is right after all?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what people really see when they look at my skin. Of course we're going to notice every single imperfection we have...but when I see others with scars I don't think it's that bad.. but then when I look at myself.. I think its worse than what it really is. I dunno...my mom tells me she doesn't notice anything...I guess we are our worst critic...