Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mskitty

Spiro for OIL ONLY.

How has your oil production decreased? How long did it take?

Trying to figure out if I should go back on spiro and it would do a damn thing,

Noone?

I started spiro up again, so we'll see how it goes. I had decent success with this previously but want some outside feedback

Hey mskitty,

I'm just finishing my first month of 100mg of spiro and I've noticed a decrease in oil. I was so oily before that I would have to blot my skin every hour. Now I only have to blot 3-4 times a day and my hair is less oily as well.

I had a horrible IB from spiro though, and am taking 100mg of minocycline as well. I'll be taking that for a few months anyways....I have a trip in June and I don't want bad skin to deal with.

Hey mskitty,

I'm just finishing my first month of 100mg of spiro and I've noticed a decrease in oil. I was so oily before that I would have to blot my skin every hour. Now I only have to blot 3-4 times a day and my hair is less oily as well.

I had a horrible IB from spiro though, and am taking 100mg of minocycline as well. I'll be taking that for a few months anyways....I have a trip in June and I don't want bad skin to deal with.

Hey mskitty, I feel the same about my posts as well.

I haven't tried bactrim...only minocycline. I don't think it's working like it used to a few years back when I was on it because I'm still breaking out. I have a follow-up derm appointment in two weeks and I will probably switch to something else. The mino is making me light headed and now I'm getting red spots/splotches on my chest. I never break out on my chest. WTF! I've been kinda a mess lately. I tried Yasmin for a few days and had to stop because of the extreme nausea. I also quit smoking about a week ago as well.

As for the spiro, I noticed a reduction in oil in about two weeks at 100mg per day. I really like it so far. I know that it takes a few months to really start working so I'm not worrying too much about the breakouts. What really gets me upset is the fact that I have so many red marks to contend with and try to cover with make-up everyday. The thought of going out without full coverage is not an option at this point. I am really looking forward to the day when I can just put on a light foundation and powder and walk out the door! Here's hoping! :pray:

What really gets me upset is the fact that I have so many red marks to contend with and try to cover with make-up everyday. The thought of going out without full coverage is not an option at this point. I am really looking forward to the day when I can just put on a light foundation and powder and walk out the door! Here's hoping! :pray:

Hi mskitty...

My experience mirrors sunnygirl's in that I am just starting to notice a significant decrease in oil at the 2 week mark. I did break out this week though, (1 week post period) which is disappointing, but I know I have to give spironolactone time to work. I've been nursing a pretty nasty cold this week too which for some reason always makes me break out. Does anyone else experience flare-ups when they get sick? It's almost like your immune system is so busy fighting off the offending virus that it forgets about the bacteria on your skin and all hell breaks loose! Sucks! Anyway...the oil is diminshing (thank you, spiro!) and we will just have to be patient and see where this goes. I'm currently on 50mg/day and plan to increase over time to 100mg/day as tolerated. What dose are you on?

Oh my God, YES! I have that nasty cold right now and I have a bad breakout as well. I just popped three cysts in two days....gross, I know, but depressing all the same. I'm on week 5 of spiro and minocycline and I'm still breaking out. I wish I could just fast forward three or four months and see if this is working for me. Good luck to you!

Hang in there, sunnygirl! I feel your pain....it really is so depressing! But you just have to keep trying to treat it and remind yourself that you are not your acne. Make-up is a blessing and makes it possible to go out and face the world without wanting to hide your face so let's be glad we live in the 21st century with all these amazing light relecting cosmetics (although I dream of the day I don't have to put another drop of that stuff on my face and glow anyway!) I am beginning my 3rd week of spiro and am hopeful. Hope your skin begins to respond the way you want it to. I think if you have seen a decrease in oil then you are probably on your way to clearer skin, however, depending on the severity of your acne, it may take a long time for the skin to actually LOOK clear. These buggers start forming LONG before they surface so I would imagine the breakouts continue for several weeks and that it's a painfully slow process to actually see results. I know when I was on minocycline a couple years ago, it cleared me up nicely but it seemed to take forever (a good 3 months or so). Then, there are the red marks and scars to deal with....it's just a long process, as I'm sure you are aware. Hope it helps to know you are not alone. Hope you feel better soon and good luck on your current regimen. Keep us posted! :angel:

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm just frustrated. I have so many scars and red marks that it's hard to cover with make-up and I'm still breaking out. Even revlon colorstay doesn't cover it all. I'm tired of all of this. Good luck to you. I'll keep checking in.

How's it going mskitty? Seeing any results yet? I'm approaching the 3 week mark on spiro and I'm not oil-free but I have noticed a decrease on 50mg/day. I am planning to increase my dose to 75mg/day at the one month mark to see what difference if any that will make. What dose are you on?