Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traxie2001

Alternating Hot & Cold Water When Washing?

Has anyone found it beneficial to wash your face with warm/hot water then rinse off with cold water? I just remember hearing about Native Americans using steam to open pores and cold water to close them back up and that being an effective way to cleanse.

Yes, I know Dan has commented that he does it, but I have heard many conflicting things. There is another thread here that says that it is actually the opposite, that cold water opens pores and hot water closes them. But then again, I have also heard that neither is true, that pores are not muscles so they cannot open and close, and hot/cold water will be irritating to your face. ANYONE want to clear this up for us?

Gyro is right. Hot water closes the pores because it causes them to swell. The reason steaming clears the pores is because it makes you sweat and thus pushing the dirt out.

Cold water reduces the swelling and thus opening the pore up.

Hot water is good at dissolving grease too.

I wash with hot water to dissolve grease and finish with cold water top open my pores up ready to apply the BP.

Gyro is right. Hot water closes the pores because it causes them to swell. The reason steaming clears the pores is because it makes you sweat and thus pushing the dirt out.

Cold water reduces the swelling and thus opening the pore up.

Hot water is good at dissolving grease too.

I wash with hot water to dissolve grease and finish with cold water top open my pores up ready to apply the BP.

I like that idea! I should try that. THanks for the recommendation Paul