Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

gah!!! ok so I have begun using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash on a regular basis for over a week now, twice a day (morning and night). Just last night I also began using an electric shaver.

Just now I went to wash my face and noticed, on my UPPER RIGHT CHEEK, a massive, huge, continent-sized area that, only from a distance, appears to be reddish and deep under the surface. When I press on it it is a tiny bit sensitive, and a little painful when I press harder on it.

THERE IS SOMETHING ENORMOUS BREWING UNDER THE SURFACE!

WHAT TO DO??? I have made a promise to myself that I will no longer pop whiteheads unless it is just so awful that I would be doing my face a favor in popping it...and I'm fearing when this surfaces it could be a legitimate candidate for popping....

Can you say about how big this area is? Like in centimeters or so? And is the redness round or in a different kind of shape. Also is the area raised, or flat?

I'm thinking it might be irritation..... If you just started using a new product (the Neutrogena) and also an electric shaver for the first time, either could be the reason for irritation. If you could let us know a bit more in detail about this area, and maybe we can offer some advice. (If it's irritation, you'll want to temporarily stop using both the new product and the electric shaver, to see if that makes the redness go away.)

I would say the area is flat, about 1 and a half centimeters, assuming I just read my ruler correctly. It is not perfectly round, kind of a big blob. Right next to it is another pimple that has persisted for a couple weeks which I had left alone and is finally now diminishing in size, redness, and severity. Also nearby is another pimple which has a little crusty on top of it at the moment.

I think this same exact area broke out a few months back and never 100% disappeared, it kind of stuck around deep under the surface. Also, when I press on the area, I can feel something that feels deep underneath the surface.

The thing is, the Neutrogena Acne Wash actually seems to be doing a decent job overall. When I step back and look at my face and compare it to two weeks ago, it is overall better I believe.

Plus, I am rooming with my brother (also an acne sufferer), who is three years older and has been using the same wash for a while now and has seen DRAMATIC improvement. I don't want to quit the wash just yet.

is that the one with the 2% SA and loaded with harsh surfactants ?

i tried that for a week and it horribly dried out my t-zone

i can't see how anyone's skin can tolerate the irritation from it

UPDATE: It is still red, basically flat on the surface, but I can feel SEVERAL pimples under he surface that are just dying to pop out.......

I keep using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and hope that it prevents this beast from erupting

I am pretty sure that Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash contains sodium C14-16 olefin sulfate as the detergent which is VERY irritating for basically any skin type....

OK, just woke up on day three of THE FORMATION. The area is very disturbed, I can tell because it continues to be oily and the skin just looks different. I can definitely feel several lumps, all right side by side, underneath this same area. From what I can tell, the Neutrogena Acne Wash seems to be preventing it from surfacing, but Im wondering if this is a bad idea, since it looks like it could just remain on my face for a long, long time the way it is if I keep using the Acne Wash.

Elsewhere on my face, the Acne Wash actually seems to be doing, as I said before, a decent job overall.

WHAT TO DO???

OK, just woke up on day three of THE FORMATION. The area is very disturbed, I can tell because it continues to be oily and the skin just looks different. I can definitely feel several lumps, all right side by side, underneath this same area. From what I can tell, the Neutrogena Acne Wash seems to be preventing it from surfacing, but Im wondering if this is a bad idea, since it looks like it could just remain on my face for a long, long time the way it is if I keep using the Acne Wash.

Elsewhere on my face, the Acne Wash actually seems to be doing, as I said before, a decent job overall.

WHAT TO DO???

I absolutely despise that facial cleanser. Cleansers are really only meant to remove bacteria from the surface of your skin, preping it for the next step, a penetrating toner or acne medication. I recomend a gente wash like Purpose or a bar of Goats Milk soap. Chamomille, lavender, something soothing, regardless.