Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catrat242

fish oil supplement questions

afer reading many "omg fish oil!" and "fishoil,a must!" from you guys,i have finally decided to try it :D

so i have a few questions about it:

1)Is there actully liquid inside the pill thing? Like the Ice Breakers Liquid Ice,if you crack it open,the "liquid" comes out?

2)My derm. put me on this pill called Erythrom,so would it still be ok to take the fish oil supplements?

3)how long does it take to see somewhat of results?

thanks so much! :D

Hello.

I think most of the capsules do have the liquid inside of them. I would recommend taking the straight oil though. You'd probably have to take 20+ capsules a day to get the recommended dosage to help with acne, and only 2-3 tablespoons a day with the liquid (which would last much longer too). You can get it at Vitamin Cottage, and probably plenty of other health food stores. Make sure you get one with Omega 6 and 3 though. It tastes like crap, but even if it doesn't help your acne, it's great for your body anyway. But if you really want the capsules you can always try them. My only thing against them is that there really isnt that much oil in them to begin with, and you never know how much 'real' oil they contain. But either way, EFAs are great because they regulate sebum production so it flows out smoothly and doesn't get sticky and form a plug. As far as your medication goes, I highly doubt any EFAs would interact with it since it's already in your diet, but I wouldn't hesitate to call your doctor and ask just in case. As far as results go; I think it's similar to other acne treatments..around 6-8 weeks..but with everything else it really depends on the case. Just know either way you're doing something good for your body! Good luck!

Hello.

I think most of the capsules do have the liquid inside of them. I would recommend taking the straight oil though. You'd probably have to take 20+ capsules a day to get the recommended dosage to help with acne, and only 2-3 tablespoons a day with the liquid (which would last much longer too). You can get it at Vitamin Cottage, and probably plenty of other health food stores. Make sure you get one with Omega 6 and 3 though. It tastes like crap, but even if it doesn't help your acne, it's great for your body anyway. But if you really want the capsules you can always try them. My only thing against them is that there really isnt that much oil in them to begin with, and you never know how much 'real' oil they contain. But either way, EFAs are great because they regulate sebum production so it flows out smoothly and doesn't get sticky and form a plug. As far as your medication goes, I highly doubt any EFAs would interact with it since it's already in your diet, but I wouldn't hesitate to call your doctor and ask just in case. As far as results go; I think it's similar to other acne treatments..around 6-8 weeks..but with everything else it really depends on the case. Just know either way you're doing something good for your body! Good luck!

The oil supplement I'm taking has 8g of Omega 3, 2g of Omega 6, and 3g of Omega 9 three times a day. I believe most casules are 1g...so taking 20 of them wouldn't even amount to what I'm taking.. and I am, in fact, not dead. Haha. ;)

The oil supplement I'm taking has 8g of Omega 3, 2g of Omega 6, and 3g of Omega 9 three times a day. I believe most casules are 1g...so taking 20 of them wouldn't even amount to what I'm taking.. and I am, in fact, not dead. Haha. ;)

Well I'm not a doctor, so if you don't feel like taking that much a day is a good idea then definitely don't! All I'm saying is I prefer the oil to the capsules, but totally your call.

1)Is there actully liquid inside the pill thing? Like the Ice Breakers Liquid Ice,if you crack it open,the "liquid" comes out?

Yup, I did it once for a "rancid" test to see if it was fresh, The funny thing is, it looks big but most of it's just the enteric coating :) The fish is inside it.

2)My derm. put me on this pill called Erythrom,so would it still be ok to take the fish oil supplements?

No clue, ask your derm if there are any interactions, I highly doubt there is, but just in case.

3)how long does it take to see somewhat of results?

In full force? Probably three weeks in. You'll know it, you'll feel it first in terms of your oil production and quality. From then on out it just gets better, and better, and better.

And lol @ 20 pills. :lol: no, no one has to take 20 pills. You can either get the liquid, or the capsules. Liquid would literally be just a couple of teaspoons. Capsules will be 10 to 13. It seems like a lot, but the amount of liquid in the caps = a few teaspoons worth, so no worries :). Again, if you decide to do it, read the whole thread first as starting off too high too fast too soon is not advised.

=)

Hope that helped!

As far as the oil "tasting like crap", it really depends on the brand. Deodorized fish oil is widely available at health food stores, and I find the kind with added lemon or orange flavor doesn't taste bad. It was a little weird at first getting used to sensation of drinking a tablespoon of oil straight, but that passed.

I'd advise against the peach flavor, though. Blech.

It also depends on how fresh the oil is. The older it is, the closer it gets to rancid, the stronger it tastes, and the more it will cause burping. According to one article I read, that's a good sign that your oil isn't as fresh as it should be -- if it makes you burp more than once or maybe twice, it's getting old.