Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

Visited Naturopath - Food sensitivities removed, nutrition absorbing and ACNE CLEARING!

Your diet sounds like a recipe for disaster. You are definitely going to be deficient in nutrients and from the sounds of it, calories. Wheat and Milk is what every naturopath will tell you to avoid, not necessarily because their magic machine says to, but because they are the most common food allergies. The other stuff they add in because they cause some people problems. Don't waste money on a quack like that, but go to an allergist and get tested for as many things as possible making sure to check for the most common food allergies, get tested for celiac sprue, and try to decrease your insulin load.
Your diet sounds like a recipe for disaster. You are definitely going to be deficient in nutrients and from the sounds of it, calories. Wheat and Milk is what every naturopath will tell you to avoid, not necessarily because their magic machine says to, but because they are the most common food allergies. The other stuff they add in because they cause some people problems. Don't waste money on a quack like that, but go to an allergist and get tested for as many things as possible making sure to check for the most common food allergies, get tested for celiac sprue, and try to decrease your insulin load.

You know I was thinking of going to an allergist to see what I am allergic in terms of everything in life-food,plants, flowers, animals, chemicals, etc. Did you go to one? Do they test for everything?

The vitamin A and the eskimos is a very unique thought, but where did you read that Vitamin A had a devastating effect on the skeletal system? When I studied the vitamin in depth in school, the Vitamin A is infamous for ruining the liver, not the skeletal system.

On the other hand, animal proteins are infamous for having high levels of surfur containing amino acids which litterally wash calcium out of the bones, weakening them over time (the medical association is trying to stop "False advertising" by the dairy industry - because dairy does not give us more calcium, but actually takes it out). After eating foods high in sulfur, our calcium is excreted right out of our body in our urine in the same quantity that we put animal proteins into our bodies.

Eskimos are known for having the highest levels of osteoperosis in the world, and the Scandinavians hold second place because their diet is mainly based on dairy products - milk, cheese, eggs.

Vitamin A is one of the most plentiful vitamins on earth (thank goodness). One very good source is spinach/carrots, and it would be virtually impossible for any vegan to have this Vitamin deficiency. The FDA, with all their strict guidelines, does not even mention this vitamin when addressing a vegan/vegetarian diet.

I do 100% agree that our diets would probably be better off without the use of several common grains.

Heart disease is an interesting topic. Keeping a low fat diet staves off this disease. The only natural sources of fat in a plant diet are nuts and alvacados. However, dairy products are almost all fat and a regular cut of meat is 50% fat (I dont mean the fat that we can "trim" off, but the fat in the tissue of the animal which we cant see). When an atopsy is performed on someone who died of heart disease, the case is documented with the summation, "Remnants of animal fat."

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/govtregula...taminAToxic.htm

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina.asp

Both of those talk about Vitamin A and bone density, there is probably more information about too much vitamin A if you search for it.

As for eating a low-fat diet, I am still not sure that it completely staves off heart disease. I have been reading recently that it has more to do with lower insulin levels, but that is not to say that too much fat is not bad for you. I have read that low-carb diets actually improve cholesterol and heart problems. If you want I can try and link some articles.

Also, the USDA has updated it's stance on high GI/glycemic load carbs. They now say to go with grains that have more fiber to reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes, but they are not necessarily correct about everything, since they are continuously changing their stance on things whenever a new study or political group says to.

The paleo diet is not sensible for modern humans to follow. It is not known conclusively what ancient humans diet was composed of, and it is in fact the subject of heavy debate in academic circles. The only thing that is for sure, is that ancient humans ate 100% organic food.

Many experts believe gathering was as prolific as hunting, perhaps even more so. Even so, the diet of ancients is not of concern to us. Simply switch your diet to completely organic food, clean your body of toxins, and watch as your appetite regulates itself and you naturally fall into the most healthy diet.

The most healthy diet is balanced, and involves a lot of high nutrient, high energy food sources. You can eat a great variety of meats, vegetables and fruits. You will enjoy incredible health from this kind of diet. Remember, science is only a body of knowledge. While our body of knowledge is vast, it is far from even resembling complete. A great deal of the nutrient content of fruits and vegetables defies chemical analysis and understanding.

I agree with you alot Jonathan Browne. Except it has been proven that Paleolithic European Humans ate a lot of meat, but that does not mean that they did not eat from gathered sources as well. Or that there could have been groups of humans that ate less meat. I am not sure that toxins are the cause of all of our problems though, it is already known that by avoiding all grains and milk permanently, you can cure diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, and probably other health problems too. So too much insulin is probably the cause there. Also, I am pretty sure that no other primates besides humans eat grains. Also, you say there is much debate about what ancient humans ate, "Ancient" is different than "Paleolithic". Paleolithic is period from when stone tools were introduced to the dawn of agriculture which was about 10,000 years ago. There is actually alot of evidence to show that the first agricultural people were much less healthy than their hunter and gatherer counterparts.

And, to answer brainsblown, I only eat fruits, vegetables, and meat, sometimes eggs. I eat all different kinds of meat and fruits and vegetables, so that I do not get bored sticking to the same old foods. I was eating nuts occasionally, but last weekend I had an allergic to some that I was eating, so I think that I am going to stay away from nuts from now on, nuts are not worth dying for, and since I am not sure of all of them I am allergic to, I think it is best just to avoid them all together. Read my Paleo Update page, if you want.

hi Apple_Blossem,

If you've found something that works for you then congrats :dance:

If you've changed your diet a lot, and completely cut out major groups like wheat and dairy, i would just make sure that your getting enough vitamins overall, and it might be a good idea to get a checkup & blood test after a while - can't hurt. I didn't see anyone mention Calcium as an important part of a healthy diet, so you may want to make sure your getting enough of that.

I saw a tv program on these kinds of tests while back, and what notadoctor was saying seems right, you go to them because you have some problems (the reporter didn't believe he had any problems and had checkups that said he was healthy) and all of the ones he visited told him to avoid..yes you guess it wheat and dairy. And yes, they also threw a few different odd things that people rarely eat anyway, which as you might have guess were slightly different from each test. But if it got you started on finding out what you may be intolerant too, then its a good thing.

Personally I'm going to try 1 thing at a time, starting with Omega-3 as it appears to have helped some, and seems safe. Then I will probably try adjusting my diet, reducing intakes of groups, but trying to avoid removing them totally, unless it becomes clear I'm totally intolerant to something.

As for the Paleo diet, i'm not a great fan. It cuts out all grains (not just wheat!) and all dairy, soy, sugar, potatos. Now if your intolerant to some of those things it's going to help. I'm not convinced humans in the "Paleolithic" period were extremely healthy all their lives and lived without disease to old ages. I assume they had lots of fresh air, plenty of exercise (chasing dinner), got some sun, and all the water, fruits and vegetables they consumed weren't polluted. There's plenty of debate about this diet, and health benefits and potential future health issues as with every diet that exists. I think if you've found something you can do, and it suits you and your doing it as safely as you can, then you can't do a whole lot more!

Dave

There is no proof about the diets of ancient people of the paleolithic era. What we do have is called "Evidence". The evidence in no way 'proves' anything.

You have to keep in mind, grain was not something people of the so called agricultural era created. They simply found that it could be cultivated in large amounts very effeciently. I'm certain wild grain was already a part of thier diets before hand. Grain wasn't brought here by an alien spacecraft to make us sick and unhealthy.

As for insulin, in extremely high amounts it becomes toxic to the body, like many things. Toxins exist as sure as sunlight and grass exists. Your liver processes toxins on a daily basis. Unfortunetly, our bodies spend most of their time in an uphill battle against toxic food sources so we get sick often, heal slowly, and generally suffer from much dis-ease.

This is an interview with Loren Cordain,

http://chetday.com/cordaininterview.htm

he is not the only one that thinks that humans ate little or no grains, but he is generally acknowledged as the world's leading expert on the Paleolithic diet, he has dedicated his life to studying it and it's implications in the modern world. Or just search his name on google, or look at his page on the Colorado State University site. I'm guessing you know who he is because you seem somewhat informed. I researched different diets alot before I actually started the Paleo Diet, and as I have said in some other posts, he has changed a few things since he published his book, but kept the basic principles. But, after much research and now starting the Paleo Diet, I truly believe he has the best diet possible for humans. Some things like avoiding legumes I am skeptical about, but the rest of his ideas are seem to be pretty solid.

And by the way insulin that is produced in your own body does not become toxic, high levels of insulin are bad for you, but it does not become toxic, you have no idea what you are talking about, I am not going to argue about this anymore, or push the Paleo diet anymore on this thread because I know that was not the intent of the original poster, and I feel bad ruining her thread.

I am sorry for arguing about the Paleo Diet on this thread Apple Blossem.

Yeah - we should move any discussion about the Paleo Diet to your thread notadoctor, i only mentioned it because it came up as part of the things that get removed from a diet that might help combat acne. I'm not arguing, simply saying as most things that are lots of different views. I think everyone should make their own view about the pros/cons of any diet before deciding to embark on it, so it's good to get a wide view of opinions.

I'm seen a lot of stuff about Cordain, and i can follow his findings and come to different conclusions. I wouldn't recommend drinking diet soda with artificial sweeteners like aspartame in, and i'm not convinced Canola oil is a such a great product. Also i'd expect a fair percentage of a hunter gatherers food source to be eaten raw, which these days i'd think would be fairly dangerous. I do agree with his thoughts that a lot of peoples diets are bad if the total daily caloric intake of cereal grains approaches 70%.

If you want another view on the the paleo diet try this one (I don't agree with everything she says, but parts of it make sense) Paleo Diet Review

Maybe we can post all the msg's about paleo in your thread, if anyone is interested in it thats where they would go - hopefully :lol:

Dave

Yeah - we should move any discussion about the Paleo Diet to your thread notadoctor, i only mentioned it because it came up as part of the things that get removed from a diet that might help combat acne. I'm not arguing, simply saying as most things that are lots of different views. I think everyone should make their own view about the pros/cons of any diet before deciding to embark on it, so it's good to get a wide view of opinions.

I'm seen a lot of stuff about Cordain, and i can follow his findings and come to different conclusions. I wouldn't recommend drinking diet soda with artificial sweeteners like aspartame in, and i'm not convinced Canola oil is a such a great product. Also i'd expect a fair percentage of a hunter gatherers food source to be eaten raw, which these days i'd think would be fairly dangerous. I do agree with his thoughts that a lot of peoples diets are bad if the total daily caloric intake of cereal grains approaches 70%.

If you want another view on the the paleo diet try this one (I don't agree with everything she says, but parts of it make sense) Paleo Diet Review

Maybe we can post all the msg's about paleo in your thread, if anyone is interested in it thats where they would go - hopefully :lol:

Dave

Update. My skin is a little oilier, but its not out of control like it was beforehand. My hair is definitely oily, which is usually a sign that my sebum production is out of control on my face, but it isnt. My face is slick with oil, but the pores arent clogging. I have no blackheads or whiteheads.

Its so hard to stay on this wheat-free diet. I had some salsa the other day and afterwards noticed that it had vinegar in it - vinegar always has a base of wheat. :P I also ate some cookies made from Rice Flour, but I know that 10% of rice flours in the US are contaminated with wheat because they are all stored in the same trucks, and occasionally bags break open and the grains are very lightly contaminated. However, I'm off the majority of foods that I am sensitive to, and my skin is a lot better. I dont mind if I have an oily residue on my face as long as the pores arent clogging!!

PS. My chapped lips are completely healed. They look normal. I've had them for as long as I can remember (8ish years?), and they just healed over. Before, they were always so chapped that they bled on a daily basis. I thought I wasnt hydrated enough or that I needed chapstick. :P However, they have gone back to normal in 1 week. I'm amazed at the speed of healing.

NotADoctor - did you say you'd visited meat.org but noticed it did not have correct info (or something like that! I cant find your post! :) )....? I was wondering which part was untrue? :) Thanx!

I'm sorry I clicked the link to Goveg.com, and that website has some incorrect information.

Meat.org is just about the inhumane practices of factory farms. Which I think that everyone agrees is horrible.

It is trying to say that being a vegetarian is healthier than being a meat-eater, and that is not proven. There is studies that suggest that saturated fat does increase risk for heart disease, but even then, there are also studies that show when high levels of saturated fat are eaten with high levels of protein and low-carbs, that you also have less incidence of heart disease.

There is evidence to show that we need a lot more protein in our diets. But... let's make a new thread if you want to talk about diet stuff, this thread should be about your food sensitivities.

I'm sorry I clicked the link to Goveg.com, and that website has some incorrect information.

Meat.org is just about the inhumane practices of factory farms. Which I think that everyone agrees is horrible.

It is trying to say that being a vegetarian is healthier than being a meat-eater, and that is not proven. There is studies that suggest that saturated fat does increase risk for heart disease, but even then, there are also studies that show when high levels of saturated fat are eaten with high levels of protein and low-carbs, that you also have less incidence of heart disease.

There is evidence to show that we need a lot more protein in our diets. But... let's make a new thread if you want to talk about diet stuff, this thread should be about your food sensitivities.

The quotes from that guy are pretty hilarious. One good reason not to be a vegetarian or vegan, is to not be associated with that retard. I think that is the mindset of many people in America, they do not want to be associated with the hick or redneck crowd. I don't even want to be associated with that crowd, but eating meat does not put me into that crowd.

BigBeauty - those were great quotes, thanks for sharing that with us, hahaha. Very interesting.

I think it's great that you know yourself well enough to know you need meat now and then. I'm mostly vegan, but I'll never be 100% vegan. I still include a very small amount of animal products in my diet - mostly eggs.

Those are some funny quotes.

Its weird, when we visit friends who live out in the tiny towns which are mainly composed of mainly rednecks and cowboys (everyone has a cowboy hat), there arent ANY vegetarian options - let alone any healthy options - in the town. The only choices are burgers, fries and fried chicken - at every restaurant. And what surprised me more was when so many ppl in those towns argue that McDonalds is a healthy staple to anyone's diet ("healthy" is taking it a bit too far!). We have learned to take our own food when we visit friends out there.

Our friends from those little towns actually started labeling us as "weird" when we started eating salads. Everytime we visit them, they state how they've never had a salad nor ever will. Really strange. :P

They actually say that gaining weight (or as they say "getting fat") is part of becoming an adult/becoming a woman. The girls are all 30-40 pounds overweight and wishing they were "young again."

Sometimes I really want to say, "its not about becoming an adult, its about eating right!" :P