Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

aargh sick of this acne ****

ive had mild/moderate acne for about 3 and half yrs. up until recently kept reaosnably under control with antibiotics. have been on oxyttracycline, tetrasyl, doxy, differin, bp, duac, vitmains, list goes on. right now my acne is mild but persistent and it has changed frm whiteheads to the under the skin type. im taking doxy once a day, using the clearogen system, eating ok, and it doesnt seem 2 slow up. my derm says my skin isnt bad enough for tane and the side effects i would get wouldnt be worth it. im so sick of acne im 20 nxt month and thought id be threw with it by now. any ideas what im doing wrong or what treatments i could try? is it likely i can get tane some other way? im in the UK so i cant just go along to another derm because u have 2 wait months for a derm appt and u just get who u r giving. sorry for the long post!

Have you ever considered going private? You will have to pay a lot....between 70-150 per visit + the drug wont be available on NHS so that will cost about 60 - 120 per month. But because your paying them ive found the private derm ive seen has been more willing to listen to what i want rather than what he/she thinks is best. Im not saying that it will be a sure thing as your acne sounds pretty mild, but it might be worth a shot if your really serious about getting accutane. Make sure you do your research tho, there are people who regret going on tane. Plus your derm is going to be more inclined to let u on it if she realises that you know what your letting yourself in for.

yeah i considered going private, but my gp informed me that going private i would still be seeing the same derm only i wouldnt have 2 wait 2 months 4 an appt. i dont think i would be able 2 afford the whole course private anyway. ive done so much research on it but i guess it just comes down 2 a persoanl choice as it can effect everyone so different. i think i would probably be on a reasonably low course tho so that would minimise the side effects right?

Well my derm only does priavte, no NHS. Hes got his own skin clinic and acne is the main thing he treats. If u can look for something similar then i think you will have a better chance. I dont think he feels as bound by the "rules" like no accutane unless acne is severe etc. I didnt need to convince him because mine was pretty bad but i still think you might have more chance than an NHS derm. As for dosage, yeah you would be on a low dose and probably wont get any serious side effects.

thanks keeler thats really helpful. i will see if there is anything like there round where i live. hope accutane has/is doing wonders 4 u!

Have u ever tried clean and clear products? The cream wash is AMAZING. I'd say my acne was moderate and since a few weeks ago the improvement is really big.

I would say that you should go private. I had moderate acne for 14 years and although I had tried every topical cream antibiotic etc etc, NHS derm just said no. This is not medical but cost cutting as accutane is expensive

I moved overseas where I have private health care, was referred straight away by the doctor and derm said yes straight away. I know it would be costly if my employer did not pay but I think I would have still gone for it eventually private... good luck.

ive had mild/moderate acne for about 3 and half yrs. up until recently kept reaosnably under control with antibiotics. have been on oxyttracycline, tetrasyl, doxy, differin, bp, duac, vitmains, list goes on. right now my acne is mild but persistent and it has changed frm whiteheads to the under the skin type. im taking doxy once a day, using the clearogen system, eating ok, and it doesnt seem 2 slow up. my derm says my skin isnt bad enough for tane and the side effects i would get wouldnt be worth it. im so sick of acne im 20 nxt month and thought id be threw with it by now. any ideas what im doing wrong or what treatments i could try? is it likely i can get tane some other way? im in the UK so i cant just go along to another derm because u have 2 wait months for a derm appt and u just get who u r giving. sorry for the long post!