Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grubbs0621

Acne returns after years of inactivity

So, when I was young I had pretty bad acne (around age 13ish). I went to a dermatologist and it all cleared up probably in around a half year.

Since then (I am now going on 20), I have had clear beautiful skin, until Mid January.

I started getting some slight acne in mid January and just ignored it at first. Washed my face a little more and that is about it. At the end of February, it was getting worse so I went out and go the Neutrogena Advance Care Solutions. It cleared up my face after a week for about a day, and then it became worse.

I was using that up until this past week and I have switched over to Proactive. I no longer have health insurance and can't go to a dermatologist so I keep having to experiment with whatever I can get over the counter. The acne is probably the worst it has ever been in my entire life.

A number of things could have trigged this outcome. I changed job at the beginning of the year, I got a good promotion which means I also inherited a lot of stress with the job. I have taken a much harder semester this semester as well, and no longer have time to work out, which is something I loved to do. I find myself living off of junk food and drinking more caffeine. My relationship of two years ended this semester also, which has been really hard on me as well.

I guess I just wanted a place to rant too...

:comfort: Yeah stress can do that to you. I never cleared up totally, but my acne got worse when I started working full time & had job stress. Funny, college never got to me as bad.

What kind of treatment did you receive from the derm? I've tried that Neutrogena system & Pro-activ & found DKR to be the best of any BP based treatment plan. What kind of acne do you mainly have, inflammatory or comedal?

It seems like the stress may be causing the breakouts. My acne first got bad around exam time at uni so I guess I could attribute that to stressing over studying.

I too am worried that my acne will come back in its original form in the next few years. I used accutane to clear mine and I have been using gentle regimen and only get spots from time to time and just pray that it doesn't come back full force ever again.