Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guest WhiteWater
I read above, oh my skin looks wonderful (but i still have pimples). So it aint working!

Are you saying it's not working because it didn't clear them 100%? That makes no sense.

I haven't been on the paleo diet per se, but I have put away bread and dairy. Going on one month and the difference is significant.

Well if you are still having acne on a diet thats sposed to clear it, in my opinion it doesnt work. But hey, forgive me if I'm just being logical!

Well if you are still having acne on a diet thats sposed to clear it, in my opinion it doesnt work. But hey, forgive me if I'm just being logical!

Don't be ridiculous. There is no single treatment method that will clear everyone 100%. That doesn't mean nothing works.

Whitewater, how long were you on the Paleo diet? I emailed the guy who runs the Dietary Cure for Acne newsletter and he said that a lot of people need to be on the diet for 3 or 4 months to show results. He has also emailed me a couple of links to studies where a low-GI diet has drastically reduced acne, and a study has shown that avoiding milk significantly reduces acne in teenage girls. In both of those diets, they did not cut calories, they only ate different foods. You are thinking that the body has to be in a catabolic state to clear skin, but that is not true, I have been eating tons of calories on the Paleo diet and it is still clearing my skin.

If you want the diet to clear your skin 100% you have to give it time, and I doubt you did. Also, testosterone is not the only thing that causes acne, so stop trying everything you can to reduce testosterone, you are only going to make yourself into a scrawny wimp.

Guest WhiteWater
Whitewater, how long were you on the Paleo diet? I emailed the guy who runs the Dietary Cure for Acne newsletter and he said that a lot of people need to be on the diet for 3 or 4 months to show results. He has also emailed me a couple of links to studies where a low-GI diet has drastically reduced acne, and a study has shown that avoiding milk significantly reduces acne in teenage girls. In both of those diets, they did not cut calories, they only ate different foods. You are thinking that the body has to be in a catabolic state to clear skin, but that is not true, I have been eating tons of calories on the Paleo diet and it is still clearing my skin.

If you want the diet to clear your skin 100% you have to give it time, and I doubt you did. Also, testosterone is not the only thing that causes acne, so stop trying everything you can to reduce testosterone, you are only going to make yourself into a scrawny wimp.

Look I did Paleo religously for over 4 months! It did not clear me, it did not clear Dan.

Even Cordain in answering Dans questions said once weight stabilises there could be rebound acne and reducing calories in line with Hunter Gatherers low calorie diet maybe important.

This is in line with the diabetic association now dumping the sugar theory crap and stating that we in the West eat too much, period.

When I have gone into catabolic state on any diet I clear, but when I go back into normal anabolic state I get acne again. This however has not been true for low fat diet, where I was 100% clear.

I did an experiment in low fat dieting and reported results of it making me 100% clear.

What you dont realise is that hunter gatherers have a far lower intake of fat than the western diet and lower calories. They are smaller and leaner than westerners as well, or to you maybe scrawny wimps. An excess version of their diet still leads to problems including acne.

All I have done is presented my results and opinions. My results cant be changed by you, they are results. On Paleo I had breakouts on low fat diet I didnt, period.

You are not clear, period.

I'm interested in hearing about your long-term results! I was on the paleo diet for a few months myself and at first my skin really cleared up and i was so happy, thinking i had finally found the answer. After 3 1/2 months my skin was almost as bad as when i was eating diary and wheat as a teenager and I barely had enough energy to get me through the day. Not to mention I had a lot of gas and it smelled terrible, probably from all the meat putrefying inside of me.

I hope you get good results in the long run, keep us updated.

Magic_Dust you can check out http://www.paleodiet.com/ . There is a ton of interesting links on this page and this is where i got most of my information when i tried this diet.

I'm interested in hearing about your long-term results! I was on the paleo diet for a few months myself and at first my skin really cleared up and i was so happy, thinking i had finally found the answer. After 3 1/2 months my skin was almost as bad as when i was eating diary and wheat as a teenager and I barely had enough energy to get me through the day. Not to mention I had a lot of gas and it smelled terrible, probably from all the meat putrefying inside of me.

sorry that didn't work out for you man. Out of curiosity, were you doing anything else to treat your acne at the time? Internally, I mean. I'm not on a strict paleo diet, but I've been doin the bread/dairy thing for about a month.

I'm trying this diet.. or atleast a version, but I just cannot drop my oats for breakfast... they are such an easy way to get my calories up... but I fear they may hold my progress back.

I'm contemplating juicing veggies and drinking that.. but Im still gonna miss out on calories... oh well... better pack more veggies and meat

sorry that didn't work out for you man. Out of curiosity, were you doing anything else to treat your acne at the time? Internally, I mean. I'm not on a strict paleo diet, but I've been doin the bread/dairy thing for about a month.

I try not to mix things up when I'm experimenting because it makes it hard to interpret your results properly. I was eating lots of chicken, turkey, beef and eggs along with a lot of raw vegetables and a few fruits. I was not using topicals, my skin is so damaged because of them and they haven't done what they promised since i still have acne anyway.

Look I did Paleo religously for over 4 months! It did not clear me, it did not clear Dan.

Even Cordain in answering Dans questions said once weight stabilises there could be rebound acne and reducing calories in line with Hunter Gatherers low calorie diet maybe important.

This is in line with the diabetic association now dumping the sugar theory crap and stating that we in the West eat too much, period.

When I have gone into catabolic state on any diet I clear, but when I go back into normal anabolic state I get acne again. This however has not been true for low fat diet, where I was 100% clear.

I did an experiment in low fat dieting and reported results of it making me 100% clear.

What you dont realise is that hunter gatherers have a far lower intake of fat than the western diet and lower calories. They are smaller and leaner than westerners as well, or to you maybe scrawny wimps. An excess version of their diet still leads to problems including acne.

All I have done is presented my results and opinions. My results cant be changed by you, they are results. On Paleo I had breakouts on low fat diet I didnt, period.

When I read this, I just sat and laughed. It sucks that it did not work for you, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you did something wrong on the Paleo diet, or maybe it just plain won't work for you, either way, don't pretend that it does not work for anyone just because it did not work for you. I have heard of people that actually did much better when they ate much more fat and practically 0 carbs, just because something works for you does not mean it will work for everyone, and especially in your case... I have never heard of anyone that has had acne improvement from high-carb low-fat, but if it works for you then it is up to you if you want to keep it up.

Guest WhiteWater

so this is taking a turn for the venomous

anyways

are you saying the only way to have clear skin is to be in a continuously catabolic state? To be honest, that doesn't sound very logical - and would be completely depressing if it were true.

He has cracked up... don't even respond to retarded posts because it just keeps threads going without bringing up any new relevant information.

Guest WhiteWater

Catabolic state cant be maintained without death, thats why these diets work temporarily.

Yep you wont gain muscle, you will struggle to on a low fat diet as well.

Alot of bodybuilders with large muscle gains complain of acne, steroids or not.

Thats the point, you want muscle (which requires testosterone) then dont whinge if you get acne!

Hunter gatherers (on which Paleo diet is meant to be based) are not muscular, even Masai warriors are thin, they look emaciated. So if you want to truly follow a hunter gatherers diet (including their average calorie intake) forget trying to look like Arnie!

Thats the point, you want muscle (which requires testosterone) then dont whinge if you get acne!

that's kinda what I was driving at. In my case, my acne has always fared much better in the times when I was following a serious weight training regimen. Anecdotal, perhaps, but it is what it is.

While catabolism may reduce acne, I certainly don't think it's the only way to reduce acne through dietary means. While I do appreciate you sharing your results, I think it's a bit of a leap to then make the blanket statement

emaciated + weak erections = no acne

anything else = acne

eh, whatever

Guest WhiteWater
...when I was following a serious weight training regimen.

You're a bodybuilder, cool! Whats the highest placing you reached in competition?

You're a bodybuilder, cool! Whats the highest placing you reached in competition?

[edit job : in case i might have misinterpreted this earlier joint haha ]

I'm not a competitive bodybuilder, nor do I think that I implied as much ;)

Hey notadoctor,

I figured out what gives me acne. WHEAT (bread, pasta, chips, pretzels, etc.) I have used and abused sugar for the past 2 months and nothing happened. But I tested my luck and introduced wheat, now I have about 5 spots. Kinda sucks, but at least I know! Anyhow I should give up sugar for the fact that I have wild sugar rushes and lows and my mom, aunt, and grandma have diabetes.

Hmmm... well just thought I'd share ;)

Catabolic state cant be maintained without death, thats why these diets work temporarily.

Yep you wont gain muscle, you will struggle to on a low fat diet as well.

Alot of bodybuilders with large muscle gains complain of acne, steroids or not.

Hunter gatherers (on which Paleo diet is meant to be based) are not muscular, even Masai warriors are thin, they look emaciated. So if you want to truly follow a hunter gatherers diet (including their average calorie intake) forget trying to look like Arnie!

This is completely untrue. You have no idea what you are talking about. Most hunter-gatherers were completely well-fed for most of their life, it is probably likely that they had tough periods where food was scarce, but it would have depended on where they lived and many other things. But for most of their lives they would not be in a catabolic state. You seriously have no idea what you are talking about and should stop pretending like you do.

Hey notadoctor,

I figured out what gives me acne. WHEAT (bread, pasta, chips, pretzels, etc.) I have used and abused sugar for the past 2 months and nothing happened. But I tested my luck and introduced wheat, now I have about 5 spots. Kinda sucks, but at least I know! Anyhow I should give up sugar for the fact that I have wild sugar rushes and lows and my mom, aunt, and grandma have diabetes.

Hmmm... well just thought I'd share ;)

That is good to know, I hope avoiding wheat works well for you.

Notadoctor - can you give me some ideas of the meals you typically eat? I know you said you eat bacon and eggs, what other foods do you have for breakfast? What about lunches and dinners? Do you eat a lot of salads? If so, what do you use for dressing? I am thinking about starting a diet similar to Paleo and am trying to think of what to make for dinner. Obviously cooking up some meat, and probably a side of veggies....is that what you do? If so, what sort of veggies do you mainly eat and do you eat them raw or cook them?

Notadoctor - can you give me some ideas of the meals you typically eat? I know you said you eat bacon and eggs, what other foods do you have for breakfast? What about lunches and dinners? Do you eat a lot of salads? If so, what do you use for dressing? I am thinking about starting a diet similar to Paleo and am trying to think of what to make for dinner. Obviously cooking up some meat, and probably a side of veggies....is that what you do? If so, what sort of veggies do you mainly eat and do you eat them raw or cook them?

Often times, I will eat leftover food from the night before for breakfast. It is easier to cook for multiple meals at the same time. I have been trying out a bunch of the recipes in the book "The Paleo Diet", just for fun. I often times will make a beef roast (chuck or rib) and put it in the refrigerator and eat it for a few meals. I make baked salmon at least once a week. I sometimes grill it. There are many salad recipes in the Paleo diet book, but I don't make them all that often. I usually have 2 or 3 salads a week and just put chicken on them. You are not supposed to use vinegar dressings, but I often will make an oil+vinegar dressing. In the book he has recipes for salad dressings. You really don't have to do any complex recipes to follow the paleo diet if you don't want to. When I am feeling lazy I just make a bunch of baked chicken or sometimes pan-fried chicken in olive oil with pepper and chile powder. I also try and make a variety of vegetables, I usually boil a bunch of brocolli and carrots and put them in the refrigerator and heat them up when I did not make any other vegetables with a meal. You can make things like Ratatouille or other vegetable recipes that taste good. If you are seriously considering the Paleo diet, I would suggest buying the book because it has a ton of recipes. The only thing to remember with the book is not to use flax oil or other oils with lots of Polyunsaturated fats when the recipe calls for heating because heat whether it is in a pan or in the oven or wherever causes the polyunsaturated fats to become oxidative (he says this on his website, but did not correct it in the book).